U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,959,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Yeah, frugal and gemstones don't belong in the same paragraph. Giving up vast sums of one's wealth for shiny trinkets has to be one of the more senseless aspects of modern social programming. Borrowing money for those same trinkets is evidence of a real social pathology.
*Grin*
Im not one of those that is able to drop $200 on one stone. I am, however, a rock hound,an aspiring Gemologist, and also Secretary of our local gem and mineral society.
Through that...I've always found that if there's a stone I desire, I can find it reasonably priced.

BTW...those "shiny trinkets" go up in value, and have served me quite well in lean times when I needed money. Thing is, when you're buying, you have to know what you're buying, its current market value, and the correct characteristics of each stone.
..Playing stupid 22 year old to dealers and surprising them is fun too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 11:20 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,493,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.rain View Post
Toilet paper, I must have my Northern toilet paper! The other thing is my hair!
Northern toiler paper for the Southern region .

Old 11-21-2009, 11:21 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,493,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
True but a better education opens up more doors.
Better education does not mean going to a ivy league college or some top rated college like Harward or Yale.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:26 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,420,331 times
olive oil
probably a bunch of other food items.

underwear/pajamas

socks

Well, this is slightly misleading. I guess I'd still be frugal on most anything, but I won't settle for something that is not high quality. (I still try to buy things on sale if possible, so I guess that means I'm still frugal about it)

So apparently, the only thing I could actually say I wouldn't be frugal on is something I considered a necessity that NEVER goes on sale (because if it ever does go on sale, I'd stock up then, which would be frugal )

Hmmm....I'd have to think on that one a little more.

I suppose I could say my kindle books. If it's $9.99, I just have to pay it, I can't shop around and get it for cheaper.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:29 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,959,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
olive oil
probably a bunch of other food items.

underwear/pajamas

socks

Well, this is slightly misleading. I guess I'd still be frugal on most anything, but I won't settle for something that is not high quality. (I still try to buy things on sale if possible, so I guess that means I'm still frugal about it)

So apparently, the only thing I could actually say I wouldn't be frugal on is something I considered a necessity that NEVER goes on sale (because if it ever does go on sale, I'd stock up then, which would be frugal )

Hmmm....I'd have to think on that one a little more.

I suppose I could say my kindle books. If it's $9.99, I just have to pay it, I can't shop around and get it for cheaper.
Whats a kindle book?

Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,420,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Whats a kindle book?

oh, a kindle is an electronic book, sold by amazon. you pay for the book and it is wirelessly delivered to your kindle.

But the price is the price, and there is one source, pretty much, for newer books, which is amazon. It's not like you can go to six bookstores and buy from the cheapest one.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:15 AM

784 posts, read 2,469,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Better education does not mean going to a ivy league college or some top rated college like Harward or Yale.
Then what does a better education mean?

Old 11-22-2009, 12:16 AM

784 posts, read 2,469,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
oh, a kindle is an electronic book, sold by amazon. you pay for the book and it is wirelessly delivered to your kindle.

But the price is the price, and there is one source, pretty much, for newer books, which is amazon. It's not like you can go to six bookstores and buy from the cheapest one.
If you like / need non-electronic versions of books, go to Dealoz.com

I'd say it saved me at least $2000 during college...

Old 11-22-2009, 12:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,793 posts, read 37,464,612 times
internal engine parts... I hate to do stuff twice, and hate being stranded even worse.
I agree that shoes need to be correct, I don't have 'Chinese sized feet', so that is a problem...

Medical, no problem skimping, I will gladly go to Thailand for serious surgery to save 50-75%

tv / cable, no problem skimping, it is not available at my location. I have probably watched TV about 20 -50 times in the last 40 yrs. When I do watch something I get very disappointed in the waste of my time. Now if someone would PLEASE invent Tivo for radio AM / FM / SW!!! (not for music, but for special programs, international broadcasts, radio mystery theater...)

Heat? Its 63F (17C) INSIDE the house at the moment, but I have on long-johns. 38 F (3C) OUT raining HARD, heavy snow expected by morning (Maybe I'll throw a log on the fire in the morning).

Old 11-22-2009, 02:04 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,791,423 times
I grew up in a cold house and now I never scrimp on heat. I'll turn off the cable before I'd consider giving up my daily shower. Good TP is a priority too.

I eat well, but I do it sensibly going for cheaper fresher food at the farmers market and buying meat straight from the farm before it's had a chance to be corn fed and pumped full of antibiotics.

I don't always take the cheap route with vehicle maintenance either. When you're already in there replacing something like a water pump it just makes good financial sense to buy a new one over a remanufactured unit that could cause problems, and replace the belts and hoses while you're at it.

I don't mind paying more for a quality shirt that will last for years over the cheap ones at Wal-Mart that start to come apart after a few washes, but I'm also not above buying clothes at yard sales. I don't mind spending a little extra to buy new underwear, socks, and shoes whenever the foam starts to pack out under the heel. The underwear and socks are just a nice thing to have (much like toilet paper), but spending money on good shoes is more of a frugal thing because a new pair of shoes is a lot cheaper than a visit to a podiatrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or