U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,960,554 times

Advertisements

Gonge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM

12,476 posts, read 16,969,159 times
Pretty much everything! Why be "frugal" on anything?

Old 11-25-2009, 01:13 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,790,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Pretty much everything! Why be "frugal" on anything?
Great though user!

Why don't you run along and try to convince your boss to adopt your spend to feel good attitude? You do have a boss, don't you? If not, run upstairs and ask your mom for a bigger monitor.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:20 AM

132 posts, read 283,665 times
Smile Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
(Other than medical expenses of course)

For me it is education...generally I am frugal but I turn into George Steinbrenner when it comes to GMAT prep courses, etc.
Shoes!!! I have a bad back and can't afford to wear cheap ones

Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Why don't you run along and try to convince your boss to adopt your spend to feel good attitude? You do have a boss, don't you? If not, run upstairs and ask your mom for a bigger monitor.
Spending to "feel good" is a psychological issue and rather different than my question. Why be frugal on anything? This thread has a long list of things people don't want to be frugal on. Why have exceptions? Perhaps being frugal does not make sense in the first place? People are willing to spend top dollar on brand name butt tissue, but not on other things? Something weird with that picture.

My monitor is already big enough, 25 inches.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:57 AM

985 posts, read 2,300,613 times
Quote:
Spending to "feel good" is a psychological issue and rather different than my question. Why be frugal on anything? This thread has a long list of things people don't want to be frugal on. Why have exceptions? Perhaps being frugal does not make sense in the first place? People are willing to spend top dollar on brand name butt tissue, but not on other things? Something weird with that picture.

My monitor is already big enough, 25 inches.
It's about prioritizing. Get high quality on things that are important to you, and be frugal with other crap you don't really care about like "butt tissue". I admit, though, spending more on toilet paper seems a bit weird to me as well. Some people really care about it, I guess.

Here's a personal example, comfortable and good quality shoes are important to me so I'll spend a bit more on a quality brand. However, things like deodorant, "butt tissue," jeans, etc. aren't important to me so I'm frugal when it comes to those items. Why spend more money on things I don't give a crap about if I don't have to?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM

687 posts, read 1,860,842 times
Buying books make me feel very rich.

My parents had to start all over when we came to the U.S. in the 70's, with literally not a penny to their names. They worked the night shifts in menial labor jobs, then slowly worked their way up to other jobs as their English improved over the years. Growing up, we worked odd jobs for lunch money, school supplies and school clothes, as we didn't want to add to our parents' worries. I remember the school book fairs, and wishing I had the money to buy books, because I love to read.

My dad made up for it by taking me to the library every Saturday, and I'd check out as many books as I wanted. However, I always had to return them... so now, I loooove going to the bookstore and luxuriating in knowing that I can buy any book I want, even hardcovers, without waiting for the sale! It's probably the only act of acquisition that I truly enjoy.

I've bought expensive cars, and homes, but it's not the same. With the cars, it's the experience of driving a well-made car that I enjoy, as is the experience of living in a beautifully-designed house that is so pleasurable. The acquisition of them doesn't give me much a thrill. But books ... that's a whole 'nother story

Old 11-26-2009, 03:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,556,857 times
Agree soft TP

Food will not live on processed foods. Make my own food, freeze it for later, shop at farmers markets but will pay higher price if need be to make it fresh. Hunt when can and really miss my garden that can't have this point of time. Yes will shop for the bulk meats and freeze but won't live on only ramen.

Vacation but do it cheaply as possible. Make own food vrs goiing out all the time. Don't stay in resorts.

Cars used to always have new so I didn't need to work on it, didn't have to be best but have spent too much to keep in warrenty. never will do that again. Will pay someone to work on car vrs a car payment again even with 0% interest.

Pedicures I will spend $$ for so my feet don't hurt. Worked to many years on feet. Will look for good shoes but won't spend major $$ make them last years.

Agree with mattress but bought mine for $300 from friend that didn't like hers after a month. She spent $3800 on it.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
It's about prioritizing. Get high quality on things that are important to you, and be frugal with other crap you don't really care about like "butt tissue".
Sure, but isn't this something that everyone does? Everyone (that I know at least) spends money on the things that are important to them and not on the things that are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
However, things like deodorant, "butt tissue," jeans, etc. aren't important to me so I'm frugal when it comes to those items.
What exactly does it mean to be "frugal" on those items though? That you are going to buy the cheapest regardless of quality?

Old 11-26-2009, 03:36 PM

985 posts, read 2,300,613 times
Quote:
Sure, but isn't this something that everyone does? Everyone (that I know at least) spends money on the things that are important to them and not on the things that are not.

What exactly does it mean to be "frugal" on those items though? That you are going to buy the cheapest regardless of quality?
Then your friends are frugal, to a degree anyways, they just don't go around saying it. And, no, not everyone does that. I know many people that buy the namebrand and most expensive of everything, even butt tissue.

Yeah, basically, I buy a cheap brand in bulk when it comes to TP. What does it matter, it's just going to get flushed. Jeans and such, I usually when there's at least a 50% sale or I get them second hand for cheap (I make sure they are in relatively good condition, of course). I only wear jeans around the house so it makes little difference what they look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or