U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:08 PM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times

Advertisements

Yup, the high salt content will preserve the meat - and kill some of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Ground beef can be processed in an odd way where it doesn't need refrigeration (although I usually just make 1/4lb patties and freeze them).

Crumble the ground beef in a frying pan and cook with garlic and/or onion until done. Pour off the fat. Take the crumbles and boil them in a small amount of heavily salted water. Let cool, put in the refrigerator and remove the fat that has risen to the top. Remove the crumbles from the water, heat in a pan or the oven to dry thoroughly, let cool and seal in bags. The fat is what goes rancid, and the high salt content will preserve the meat, just like jerky. When ready to use, rinse of the excess salt, which will rehydrate the meat, then heat is skillet with flavorings and a little olive or grapeseed oil.

The main storage issue is keeping the meat completely dry and safe from insects or mice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,543,709 times
Look at the cost-benefit analysis. Do you like cooking? Do you want to be stockpiling and shopping sales and what have you?

My grocery budget has some wiggle room for eating out because my schedule is so hectic. Normally it's a $6 burrito, $7 special lunch buffet for sushi or something ethnic, or coupons/restaurant.com, and the frugal person's best friend..Subway.

If you make your big meal in the middle of the day and go for the cheap buffets, it can definitely be more economical. We have Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, and Indian buffets around us..not to mention the great salad bars. I have no problem throwing down a $20 for my husband and I to eat enough food to keep us both satisfied for the whole day, and stimulate the economy a bit. Granted, I tend to fill up on veggies, fish, and steamed rice at buffets because they're my favorite foods. So the healthfulness of your choice will definitely vary.

I also love grabbing a fast food dollar menu burger and pairing it with a quick chopped salad at home. We probably do that a bit too often, but man is it easy.

I could feed each of us for $3 a day at home, but not without getting bored and tired of cooking.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:07 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,533,126 times
I occasionally deviate from my no-eat-out policy.

Like last night about 5:00 pm...I was finishing up my day's runs (school bus) when a call came out over the radio. 65 members of a high school swim team were standing...waiting to be taken to a swim meet...their assigned bus was a no-show (driver probably forgot he/she had the trip). So the dispatcher was calling for any bus in the vicinity to go get 'em.

I was nearby, so I grabbed the microphone and offered my bus. It was a big meet in the next town and the trip would run to at least midnight...and I was hungry aleady....no way I'd last another 7+ hours.

So I spent 8 bucks on a bite to eat at the aquatic center. But the trip was overtime, so I probably grossed about $250 for the trip...plus I saw some great diving and swim racing action to boot!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 PM

13,727 posts, read 22,861,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Work 12 hrs a day!?!? In this economy! How?

That said, the way you are eating combined with your long hours will eventually take a toll on your health in very real and permanent ways. I stongly recommend that subscribe to one of the meal delivery services that can provide you with well balanced & health meals to keep you healthy during these long a stressful work days.
There are a lot of people working 60+ hours a week. When the economy is bad, there are a LOT of professions that get a lot busier. Also, even though the organization has gotten rid of poorer performers, it means more work for fewer people.

When you are working a lot of hours, the LAST thing that you feel like doing at 9 pm is to start cooking dinner, even though cooking is generally one of my hobbies.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:27 AM

16,874 posts, read 51,398,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Yup, the high salt content will preserve the meat - and kill some of us.
I hate it when someone deliberately misunderstands or takes a line out of context to make a zinger point of their own. It is rude, self-serving, just plain nasty, and would get you tossed out of a classic debate or courtroom and punched out in a bar.

I SAID:

"the high salt content will preserve the meat, just like jerky. When ready to use, rinse of the excess salt, which will rehydrate the meat"

I'll admit to writing fast and writing "of" instead of "off", but I think that should be apparent. As for the process, rinsing granules (small bits no larger than a pencil eraser) of cooked ground beef under running water (which is the common method of rinsing), REMOVES that excess salt (as I stated), thus making it have a far lower sodium content. Since the meat is precooked before being put in the salted preservative water, the salt has less of a chance of permeating areas of the granules that would be "locked" to water used to preserve or to rinse. Jumping on others without thinking is far more likely to result in situations that kill you, especially if you have blood pressure issues. I am HOPING that you simply misunderstood and will be more prudent in the future.

The point of my post was that there are people that do the same basic idea of storing ground beef by cooking and draining fat, but WITHOUT using any preservative. THAT is much more likely to make people ill, and the addition of the salt to the boiling water and an added rinse resolves the issue. Not everyone has unlimited freezer space or even power. Storing meat like this can save those folks money, because they can buy on sale.

Sailors survived on salted meat during the era of exploration. Salt cured hams are available in the groceries, hams where much of the sodium is retained in the meat to be consumed. Salted fish is a common preservative method. The salt in the meat in this process is only a temporary part of it. The end product would be less salty than ham or salted fish.

FWIW, the waste tow (beef fat) can be mixed with sawdust, compacted, and used for firestarters.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 12-06-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,468,942 times
Depending on what you have availible to you, you could buy many items out for about the same or even less than making them yourself. However, as many posters have mentioned, pre-prepared and restaurant foods are usually very high in sodium (esp Subway) and God knows what. If you do not know what is in your food, you have no control over what you put in your body, and if the bulk of what you eat is out, you WILL face some health issues somewhere down the line. NOTHING wastes time and money like medical problems.

I would try to balance home cooking and eating out as best you can. Make ahead/freezing, crock pots and insulated coolers are all good ideas.

As for coffee, that is a huge waste of money, even at $1-2 a cup. Buy a good thermos, it will pay for itself in the first week.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:31 PM

12,981 posts, read 24,049,061 times
On occasion, I'll buy a rotisserie chicken either at Costco, or at Albertson's which comes with extras. After I finish eating the chicken, I throw the carcass into the crockpot with carrots, celery and and onions to make soup. Then I freeze it for later. During the holidays, I'll buy a turkey dinner, and make soup from the turkey carcass when I'm finished with it, and also buy a ham. You can get a lot of meat out of a ham.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM

4,383 posts, read 8,691,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Just wondering what it is worth, if time is money... is it worth it to be more productive in time you spent cooking? I.e. I pay 2 bucks for a daily coffee, which gains me about 20 minutes time, but costs an extra probably 20 bucks a month vs. making it at home, and I eat breakfast and lunch at work, generally have a pack of bagels, cream cheese, banana and stuff for sandwiches. On the way home I usually pick up something under 5 bucks like subway loaded with veggies or a mega burrito or cheap ethnic food... I work about 12 hours a day and just don't have much time anymore to cook and go grocery shopping and all that ****. I think I'm possibly saving money by being able to work a few more hours in the day and generating more income outside my regular job and hopefully one day full time, I charge around 90 an hour but don't have enough hours to do that 40-50 a week, maybe 10-15 right now.

Thoughts?
If you spent the 20 minutes making cofee would you really do 20 minutes less work? I think alot of people make similiar analysis but in reality they would do the 20 minutes work and have 20 minutes less free time or even sleep. If you really would then yes I'd say your being smart.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM

5,630 posts, read 6,491,761 times
Quote:
As for coffee, that is a huge waste of money, even at $1-2 a cup. Buy a good thermos, it will pay for itself in the first week
Heck, get it from the dollar store and it might pay for itself in the first day.

EDIT: Though you did say to buy a good thermos...so maybe the dollar store isn't the place to go.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM

13,727 posts, read 22,861,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Heck, get it from the dollar store and it might pay for itself in the first day.

EDIT: Though you did say to buy a good thermos...so maybe the dollar store isn't the place to go.
A $20-25 Thermos will keep the coffee HOT for 16 hours or more.

A cheap one will be lucky to hold it for 4 hours.

That has been my experience.

Avoid the Trudeau brand at Macy's. It too keeps the coffee hot about 4 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living