U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,579,535 times

Advertisements

$150 a month on groceries?
We spend more than that on cat food.
And for apples for the deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 AM

5,610 posts, read 6,480,616 times
You own deer? And jeez, How many cats do you have and what in the world are you feeding them?!

Last edited by ferraris; 12-08-2009 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 10:23 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times
My food bill's kept within reasonable bounds by eating low on the food chain. Very little to none packaged convenience foods. Very little meat or poultry. Fish, yes, especially canned wild Alaskan salmon--or fresh salmon when it's affordable. Local shrimp when they're good and then I buy in bulk at $3.00/lb. and freeze the extra.

Most of our grocery cart's filled with fruits and vegetables that are in season, and often, on special for that reason. I might buy a bag of apples, potatoes, onions, tangerines or grapes when they're on special. Sweet potatoes we eat 3-4 times a week along with broccoli and kale. Big salads in the summer when lettuces and tomatoes are bountiful and fresh.

Then I go for the great grains--brown rice, barley and oatmeal. Love my oatmeal.

Then the high protein and fiber-rich legumes--always have bags and cans of black beans, navy beans, kidney beans, lentils and garbanzo's in my pantry. These form the basis of many meals in our house.

When my body cries out for meat or poultry, which it does on rare occasions, I will do a sir-fry or stew with a bit of beef, chicken or pork in it along with lots of veggies.

Guess that's my food philosophy--eat low on the food chain, don't pay for the packaging, buy in bulk when the prices are good and try to make everything I put in our mouths wholesome and nutritious.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Hrrm... I used to do this, lately I just work more hours and get quick meals out for dinner and keep some stuff in my car or the fridge at work for the week which doesn't involve cooking (fruits/bagels/bread/nuts/turkey/etc.), save time on going to the grocery store, gas to drive there, cooking electricity, new kitchen items and cleaning up, and there is 0% food spoilage or condiments that cost 4-5 bucks and sit in the fridge for a year which was always inevitable before. I run in safeway on my way to work on monday grab a coffee and those few items for the week. I just take out a set amount of cash and when its gone I'll eat a can of almonds or something for a few meals. You can get some pretty huge and healthy meals at ethnic places like indian, thai, vietnamese, mexican. I swear sometimes it would take me more $ to cook it myself. If you are working for yourself like I am doing now on the side then time is money and I actually lose $ by taking time out to cook and go shopping.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,687,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
It`s just the two of us now. So, I`m trying to figure out a grocery budget. I`ve read were some people are doing it on $150 a month.I`m trying to figure out how they do this because my figures are $300 a month. Fifty-five of it goes to toiletries, cat food,etc. What do you buy on $150 a month?
Weekly for two people:

$15-20 worth of processed or american foods and fruit from Aldi or the local supermarket (whichever's cheaper);

Eggs, Milk, cereal, cheese, chips, maybe a frozen pizza or french fries, broccoli, banannas, carrots, apples, onions, potatoes, orange juice, bread, bacon, bagles, maybe berries or kiwi if there's something good on sale. Paper towels, toilet paper, and plastic bags/wrap on the rare occasions that we run out.

We try to check the labels and minimize the number of processed foods we buy with high-fructose corn syrup in them.

$13-18 worth of leafy greens, meats, and spices from the local asian market when they're shipped in fresh once a week:

Daikon, spinach, lotus root, a few leafy things with no english name, tofu, mushrooms, garlic, ginger root, snow peas, grapes, fish, hotpot thin-sliced beef, spices, Calrose rice, noodles.

This helps keep high-fructose corn syrup, chemically-ripened vegetables, and corn-fed feedlot meat in our diet to a minimum.

$3 at the Indian grocery for curry and naan. YUM!

Turns out to be about $150 per month. We maybe eat out once every two weeks, so you can purchase enough food for a full week's worth of meals.

We try to splurge a bit when there's a local farmer's market (not available during the winter) to get local produce.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,579,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
You own deer? And jeez, How many cats do you have and what in the world are you feeding them?!
We have nine cats. They eat 240 5 oz cans of Friskies, plus about 15 lbs of Origen dry cat food a month. Comes to about $170.

We don't own deer but we usually get around six or eight a day that come to visit. They are pretty tame and some will even eat the apples from our hand.

I buy them "Deer Apples" that have been bruised or don't look just perfect that we get for $5 for a 40 lb box.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:41 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do not scrimp on food. I buy the best food available for myself and my family because it is the single most important purchase that you can make. My advice would be to cut back in other areas and do not cut back on the quality of the food that you buy.

20yrsinBranson
I disagree. If you can't tell the difference between a name brand ketchup and the store brand, why pay more.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:29 AM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
^^ I don't care what brand of ketchup is taking up space in my refrigerator, but I wouldn't buy Wonder bread. I'd take it if it were free.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM

139 posts, read 495,319 times
Buying your food is like the stock market.Buy low,eat high.When say,...progresso soup is normally $2.50 a can and they have 3 for $4,you made money.I buy $20 worth.$1.33 x 20 or $2.50 x 20.Chicken cutlets under $1.99lb instead of 3-3.40lb,i buy 20 lbs.It's not rocket science.Learn to buy $400 worth of food for $240 a month,then you get $160 a month for takeout pizza,chinese etc.Or for the people who need the $160 a month for getting out of debt.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoteddie View Post
When say,...progresso soup is normally $2.50 a can and they have 3 for $4,you made money..
Not when you can buy 5# of chicken parts and necks, a bag of carrots, celery and onions for $4 and make 5 gallons of homemade soup.

Why pay all the money for cans, shipping cost, and that slick marketing campaign? They provide NO value to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living