Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 PM

233 posts, read 741,444 times

Advertisements

@20years

I do go to the library and that is always my first choice its just that sometimes I can't get my hands on what I want. I have met people who have literally read entire books in the bookstore without buying them. You know the type, the type sprawled out over the floor for hours. Are they thieves because they should have purchased the book? You will always see one guy with a stack of magazines sitting at the cafe drinking coffee, is he also a thief for not buying the magazines.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:44 PM

127 posts, read 311,115 times
I have actually thought about doing this. I've never done it, because the bottom line is that it's just not honest. What if every person who buys a book does the same thing? Then all of the bookstores would go out of business! Why do you think you're so special? Why don't you look at the big picture instead of only thinking about yourself?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,398,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
A previous girlfriend got upset when I told her about my book buying behavior. She called me a scammer and told me not to do it ever again. She told me to just go to the library and check out the book if I want to return it. The thing is that the library has a limited number of new releases and most of the time their is a 2-3 week wait list (sometimes longer) to get the book.

Am I too frugal?
You're not too frugal...you're cheap AND you're a thief. A book store is NOT a library. Geez...

I don't care if you returned the book in excellent condition after you read it...you USED it. You want the privilege of reading the new releases, but you don't want to pay. That's messed up.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.rain View Post
I have actually thought about doing this. I've never done it, because the bottom line is that it's just not honest. What if every person who buys a book does the same thing? Then all of the bookstores would go out of business! Why do you think you're so special? Why don't you look at the big picture instead of only thinking about yourself?
Maybe I should just create high standards for myself so that every book I read will not impress me. Then I can return the book on the grounds of not being satisfied with my purchase. I wasn't expecting such a negative reaction to my post.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,398,175 times
Quote:
I have met people who have literally read entire books in the bookstore without buying them. You know the type, the type sprawled out over the floor for hours. Are they thieves because they should have purchased the book? You will always see one guy with a stack of magazines sitting at the cafe drinking coffee, is he also a thief for not buying the magazines.
Yes, they are thieves too! Nothing wrong with looking through a book or a magazine with intent to purchase. But again...a bookstore is a business, NOT a library (and some bookstores have signs posted to this effect).

Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
You're not too frugal...you're cheap AND you're a thief. A book store is NOT a library. Geez...

I don't care if you returned the book in excellent condition after you read it...you USED it. You want the privilege of reading the new releases, but you don't want to pay. That's messed up.
How about the people who sit in the bookstore for half the day who start and finish a book? are they scamming too? maybe they should pay too?, They are USING the book aren't they? or the guy who gets his stack of magazines and reads all of them then leaves? is he scamming too?

15,853 posts, read 35,012,995 times
Quote:
@20years

I do go to the library and that is always my first choice its just that sometimes I can't get my hands on what I want. I have met people who have literally read entire books in the bookstore without buying them. You know the type, the type sprawled out over the floor for hours. Are they thieves because they should have purchased the book? You will always see one guy with a stack of magazines sitting at the cafe drinking coffee, is he also a thief for not buying the magazines.
If the book store does not care, why should I? LOL

I guess I'm almost as bad. I go to B&N and look for books that I want and then I go to abesbooks.com and order them for a fraction of the cost. LOL

20yrsinBranson

2,210 posts, read 7,008,549 times
I'm not impressed. Returning a book is not the same as returning a pair of jeans that don't fit. You still have the story in your head, you can't give it back and return the ideas. Not satisfied with the purchase? Only relevant if pages were missing and you couldn't actually read everything.

It's like demanding to return your education once you have your degree. Someone worked hard to produce that book. They deserve to be paid.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:57 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,012,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

It's like demanding to return and education once you have your degree.
OMG I wish I could! Talk about over-priced! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 AM

897 posts, read 1,584,710 times
Though I must say that it is the retailers' fault for allowing their customers to read entire books, magazines, etc without a time limit I have to agree that what you're doing is a type of fraud. It's allowed but it's a type of fraud nonetheless.

Yes, customers are allowed to wear an outfit once and return it to the store depending on the condition of the outfit and the store policies. Yes, stores will allow you to do this when the book is in good condition. What you're not considering, though, is the writer.

What you're doing is akin to downloading music online without paying for it. It seems like no big deal to you when you're the one who is doing it and getting away with it but every time you do this, you're taking money away from the author. Sales ARE measured and your return counts against the author. If everyone did this, that author would never sell anything and his/her publisher would drop them.

I'd like to see how you react if someone came to your job, partook of your services and then walked away without paying because your work "wasn't satisfactory".

Don't but any more books, buy some dignity and character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living