U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:05 PM
 
233 posts, read 634,182 times
Reputation: 213

Advertisements

I like to read a good book when I see one. For as long as I can remember I have been buying books, reading them and returning them. I have done this maybe 25-30 times over my lifetime. I usually go to two different B&N's in my area to do this. I do this because I just don't see a reason to own a book when I am only going to read it once. I have very rarely kept a book I was planning on returning only because it was a really good book and I planned to give it to someone.

My ex-girlfriend started laughing hysterically when I told here this. She thought it was my right to return it. A previous girlfriend got upset when I told her about my book buying behavior. She called me a scammer and told me not to do it ever again. She told me to just go to the library and check out the book if I want to return it. The thing is that the library has a limited number of new releases and most of the time their is a 2-3 week wait list (sometimes longer) to get the book.

Am I too frugal?

 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 PM
 
3,317 posts, read 7,253,255 times
Reputation: 4095
That's not frugality, it's theft.

You might be acting within the return policy of the store, but essentially, the return makes you a liar and a thief.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 31,559,842 times
Reputation: 3378
A friend of mine buys used books, reads them, and then resells them to the same used bookstore. This is a fair arrangement for both parties.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:19 PM
 
233 posts, read 634,182 times
Reputation: 213
Theft? because I returned a book in excellent condition within the time frame to receive a refund.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Michaux State Forest
1,276 posts, read 2,905,439 times
Reputation: 1419
This is just plain wrong, it's not frugal, it is decietful and a type of theft. How would you like it if I had already worn the clothes that you just bought because "hey, I only like to wear something once". Yeah, great logic. Go get a library card and if(Heaven forbid) you have to wait, go buy the book and DON'T return it. Maybe you should also buy a clue while you're at it, nobody wants your seconds.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:24 PM
 
233 posts, read 634,182 times
Reputation: 213
@lilred

I already have a library card and often use it. WOW I didn't know this would agitate some people
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 PM
 
3,647 posts, read 9,307,282 times
Reputation: 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
That's not frugality, it's theft.

You might be acting within the return policy of the store, but essentially, the return makes you a liar and a thief.
Couldn't have said it better.

What a jerk
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM
 
3,647 posts, read 9,307,282 times
Reputation: 5427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
@lilred

I already have a library card and often use it. WOW I didn't know this would agitate some people
Really? You didn't realize that being dishonest and essentially stealing would cause some people to get upset? You really are that self absorbed?

"I am... there is none but me!"

It used to be motto of an ancient culture, destroyed because of their extreme greed and self-interest.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
 
233 posts, read 634,182 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Couldn't have said it better.

What a jerk
WOW, ok so if I would have bought the book and read it and say I disliked it for whatever reason. I then returned it, the store still has the book back. You guys are taking this way too serious. The store doesn't care as long as it is in excellent condition to be sold again.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
I like to read a good book when I see one. For as long as I can remember I have been buying books, reading them and returning them. I have done this maybe 25-30 times over my lifetime. I usually go to two different B&N's in my area to do this. I do this because I just don't see a reason to own a book when I am only going to read it once. I have very rarely kept a book I was planning on returning only because it was a really good book and I planned to give it to someone.

My ex-girlfriend started laughing hysterically when I told here this. She thought it was my right to return it. A previous girlfriend got upset when I told her about my book buying behavior. She called me a scammer and told me not to do it ever again. She told me to just go to the library and check out the book if I want to return it. The thing is that the library has a limited number of new releases and most of the time their is a 2-3 week wait list (sometimes longer) to get the book.

Am I too frugal?
Personally, I cannot even CONCEIVE of letting go of a book that is even remotely meaningful to me (as my overflowing book shelves will attest). Perhaps it is the difference between fiction readers and non-fiction readers. Fiction readers tend to not get as attached to their books as we do.

Anyway. Why don't you just go to the library? It would seem like a more sensible approach to this method. After a while the B & N people are bound to figure out what you are doing. Not that it matters I guess.

In a way, I rather like the idea since I think anybody who pays retail for a book is out of their mind. LOL But it does seem a tad dishonest, although people have been doing it since *forever* (it's not like you have discovered anything new).

You have your own conscience to live with. Karma can be difficult when it comes back in your direction.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top