Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,648,499 times

Advertisements

I refuse to buy any paper products.

The backs of junk mail printed on one side only are fine for compter paper, and I have a stack of plain-backed junkmail envelopes for scratch pads.

I reuse envelopes. Buy 2-cent stamps at the PO, write the address on a blank space, and cover the rest of the envelope with 22 two-cent stamps (or 44 ones), and tape it shut. The envelope the utility company sends you to mail the check works even better, you don't have to tape it.

I eat junk food maybe 5 times a month, and take a dozen or so napkins home with me each time. I use them for kleenex, toilet paper, wiping up minor spills.

I use launderable cloth napkins and kitchen wipes (old towels cut up).

It makes me cry to see people using paper towels. A ring where somebody set down a cold glass---grab a whole brawny, wipe it up, and toss it in the trash.

However, in August, when they set out their back to school stuff, WalMart has spiral notebooks for a dime. I splurge and pick up about a dozen of those, to write things that that I want to save and keep orderly.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 PM

233 posts, read 741,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

The backs of junk mail printed on one side only are fine for compter paper, and I have a stack of plain-backed junkmail envelopes for scratch pads.

I reuse envelopes. Buy 2-cent stamps at the PO, write the address on a blank space, and cover the rest of the envelope with 22 two-cent stamps (or 44 ones), and tape it shut. The envelope the utility company sends you to mail the check works even better, you don't have to tape it.

I eat junk food maybe 5 times a month, and take a dozen or so napkins home with me each time. I use them for kleenex, toilet paper, wiping up minor spills.

It makes me cry to see people using paper towels. A ring where somebody set down a cold glass---grab a whole brawny, wipe it up, and toss it in the trash.

However, in August, when they set out their back to school stuff, WalMart has spiral notebooks for a dime. I splurge and pick up about a dozen of those, to write things that that I want to save and keep orderly.
are you contradicting yourself?

Old 12-22-2009, 04:12 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,193,134 times
Quote:

What do you wipe your butt with? Never mind I see it now...LOL

But you do know that is stealing, don't you?

12 X 5 + 60 a month, you must not poop much....

Old 12-22-2009, 04:14 PM

21 posts, read 60,647 times
"I eat junk food maybe 5 times a month, and take a dozen or so napkins home with me each time. I use them for kleenex, toilet paper, wiping up minor spills."

Oh, ick. Those napkins were stacked into their dispensers or piles by 16 year-olds. I'll stick to good-ol' machine-rolled TP and I won't feel guilty about that at all.

BTW, I use paper towels, but I tear them into appropriate sizes for their respective tasks. One sheet makes dinner napkins for four. They're tough to tear against the grain, however, so we usually each get a 1/4 sheet strip.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM

And those stamps are made out of paper and you BUY them, plus they have glue on them...That's not good for the ego system.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,036,258 times
WOW, you are seriously frugal!

I minimize paper products and do use extra fast food napkins at home, but man, for toilet paper??

You're a Rock Star.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,648,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
are you contradicting yourself?
The operative word in there is "splurge". Atypical behavior.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 PM

233 posts, read 741,779 times
Quote:
The operative word in there is "splurge". Atypical behavior.
I refuse to buy any paper products

I Never Buy Paper

WalMart has spiral notebooks for a dime. I splurge and pick up about a dozen of those,

Looks like you are being frugal with your definitions.

How does one take napkins from an establishment? Do you just walk in and take them or do you just buy something from the dollar menu? Many fast food restaurants now keep their napkins up front by the registers because of you. You are making people like myself have to walk all the way to the front to get some damn napkins now.

what happens if you run out of napkins and its midnight and need to use the restroom? Do you just use the cloth napkin or the junkmail envelopes?

Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,533,009 times
Default No paper towels for me!

I refuse to buy paper towels or tissues. I like to pick up dinner napkins - the old fashioned kind, at thrift shops. I wash & fold them & keep one in my purse, & a stack by my bedside. They're super soft & absorbent. They come in very handy by the bedside!

I almost always ask for extra paper napkins at the fast food drive through but I keep those in the car. I wouldn't be comfortable taking enough of them to use for T.P. That wouldn't seem right to me.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 AM

I think jtur88 is just playing with us...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living