U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:54 AM

88 posts, read 28,024 times

Advertisements

Drank 1 alcoholic drink in 2004 down in Sacramento.
pulled over for DUI at .08%
about 7K lost
and I was one of the few refusing to attend DUI school
Contacted the Sac Bee to do a story
They let me off the DUI school not wanting what transpired
reported on
Of course they don't admit it.
now the scams out
Framing people even though they aren't dui, .08% or drunk

Afterwards tried to buy auto insurance.
hundreds of dollars, just couldn't afford
especially after a criminal record
Immoral so decided not to buy it again
Gave up
California starts mandating auto insurance later on

Called my husbands auto insurance company
$3 a month to add me on for the minimum amount.
that should work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 10:28 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,425,018 times
I have been very intrigue by thrift store. I grew up in super low income area where thrift store were dirty, unorganized and covered in junk. It was not appealing at all. But I work in solid middle class area & few years ago discovered thrift store which are clean and organized. I have purchased few house hold decoration type items in past like basket or vase. But I was never comfortable to buy clothes because of my previous view of thrift store but I read about it online all the time & have been intrigue. so yesterday as I browed thrift store & finally dared to look in clothe rack, I notice they are organized by color but not size. everything nice I touched was wrong size and just as I was about to give up, I noticed a nice tank top from White House, Black Market. I love that store and have browed their clearance section several times but never wanted to pay their price. For $1.99 I was willing to pick it up. I thought, Lets try this.. Then I saw Ann Taylor cardigan. I always eyed Ann Taylor clearance rack in past but never dared to pay full prize.

I brought both of them and washed them in home & today I worn my cardigan to work. I am happy with the purchase and I can see why people love thrift store.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:55 PM

136 posts, read 28,819 times
I used to never shop for clothes at second or gently used stores. I don't know why. But my wife loves it and she loves going to those for profit stores (better selections vs non profit stores).

One day while waiting for her, I looked around and notice that a decent amount of clothes were new and close out from other stores. While others are gently worn that honestly, you couldn't even tell it's been worn before. Dress shirts that once costs anywhere between $30-$50 can be purchased around $2-$10.

Seems like many of the new items where purchased from close out or out of season from various Men's dept. stores. The new clothes still have the original price tag on it.

Suddenly, I got completely addicted to buying new clothes or very new looking clothes for pennies on the dollar. I can buy 1 week of clothing for the price of what I use to pay for just 1 dress shirt.

Last weekend, I bought 15 brand new ties for $2 each. Those ties would easily cost $15-$20 each at another store.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 PM

4,789 posts, read 3,226,245 times
I've been looking for things to go camping with. I have a cat who doesn't have experience with traveling so have been looking for a wire cage large enough for her. Found one today for $11.00.

There was also a darling blue Jean coat but it was $9.95 so wasn't going to buy it. But, I kept thinking about it so I went back. Turns out is was one of the 1/2 off items so I got it for $5. So glad I went back.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:52 AM

58 posts, read 21,100 times
I learned to 3D print stuff at the library. Their 3D printer is free, the software download is free, and I only have to pay for the filament (plastic material) for the printer that I use.

I've made an adapter mount to fit a radio into a dash opening (that was old and too large). I'm making a replacement for the soap tray in the shower that fell off (replacement costs $75.00+labor -- printed cost around 6 or 7 dollars).

Not trying to promote or sell anything, but here is the website to download the design program:
OpenSCAD - Downloads

There are tutorials on how to do it, and you can find hundreds of examples that people have already made and posted the 3D print files free here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/explore/...rinting/page:2

The adapter to fit the radio I mentioned above ended up costing $3.92. Paying a shop to fix it would have been hundreds.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:41 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,466,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
I learned to 3D print stuff at the library. Their 3D printer is free, the software download is free, and I only have to pay for the filament (plastic material) for the printer that I use.

I've made an adapter mount to fit a radio into a dash opening (that was old and too large). I'm making a replacement for the soap tray in the shower that fell off (replacement costs $75.00+labor -- printed cost around 6 or 7 dollars).

Not trying to promote or sell anything, but here is the website to download the design program:
OpenSCAD - Downloads

There are tutorials on how to do it, and you can find hundreds of examples that people have already made and posted the 3D print files free here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/explore/...rinting/page:2

The adapter to fit the radio I mentioned above ended up costing $3.92. Paying a shop to fix it would have been hundreds.

Rep to you!! This type of information is helpful. I've read about 3D printing but I really had no idea that it could be so easily accessible and used for everyday, random items. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:10 AM

1,425 posts, read 479,066 times
So yesterday I stopped in a Goodwill in a different neighborhood I happened to be in for a Dr appointment. While in the back of the store, a young lady looking at a vacuum cleaner stopped me and asked if the one she was looking at was a good brand. It was an Electrolux, and I told her it was a good quality brand. I showed her how to open it up, and sure enough, the former owners hadn't bothered to even clean out the lint before donating it. But it looked intact and everything was okay. She was about to take it up to the cash register, but I stopped her and said, "Wait!!! You need to take it over to the electrical testing area and plug it in and make sure it runs okay!!!"

Perhaps she was not a regular thrift store shopper and did not know she could do this. But she took my advice and went over and plugged it in and it worked fine. It was a nice vacuum -- I think she will be happy with it!

My other purchase for the day was an almost brand-new Cal-Pac navy knapsack on wheels for $4.99. My Special Needs brother needed a bowling ball bag with wheels [his bag is getting heavy for him to carry] and they are quite pricey [$49-$65]. I have been looking for one in a thrift store for several years but have not found one. His bowling ball and shoes fit in the new knapsack just fine. I didn't see one currently on the company website, so this model may be discontinued, but it is in great shape. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box -- or the bag!!!

Old 02-01-2019, 09:51 PM

13,918 posts, read 23,365,464 times
This week's great deals:

1) Ground beef $0.99/ lb at the local Korean market. We usually buy out ground beef and pork there as it is ground in-house and immediately frozen in 1# packages. We have had good experience with their meats.

2) Two 11# spiral cut hams for $0.49/ lb from the local Kroger affiliate.

3) a 2014 Sony 40" flat screen TV for $50 from a neighbor who "needed" a new 60" TV.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:25 AM

2,570 posts, read 1,329,472 times
i bought two glass covered shelves for 30 dollars. Of course they were used and I got them from Craigslist. But it's better than spending hundred of dollars for those things.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:39 PM

4,009 posts, read 2,269,147 times
I was, at one time, homeless.

When i got rehomed, i lived near a hoity-toity toney neighborhood. And. I had nothing. This isnt a purchase per se, but it was frugal:

On garbage night id find all manner of things curbside for free. Cant get a better deal than or more frugal than free!

I picked up an a/c unit and all that was wrong with it was a twig in the fan making noise.

I got a b&w tv. It had picture, but no sound. I found a colir tv with sound but no picture. Together. Tuned to the same over air station they gave me tv to watch. Only wish it was tge color with the picture. But beggars cant be choosers.

I collected a love seat with a broken leg. Mounted a new leg and as good as new.

I collected a perfectly good bookcase.

I collected a perfectly good small stereo.

I collected lots of useable stuff that was kept out of the landfill.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living