Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times

Advertisements

Very nice, full-sized, pistol-grip grease-gun from Ebay........comes with 2 attachments, $10.99 and free shipping.

My front-end is skreeeming and groaning, demanding that I hit those grease-points!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 04:19 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Boy, I'm having trouble thinking of a frugal purchase, do sales count? I literally spent most of the year selling off TONS of my old collectibles and possessions on eBay, I'm nearing $10,000 in stuff sold by this point. It's a double-win to me because we're moving about 850 miles and the move is by the pound, storage is by space, so by reducing what I own by such a large amount, I'm not only putting cash in my pocket to finance the move, but I'm reducing the weight massively (thousands of pounds actually) so it's a smaller cost to move.

I kind of thought this was a great time to simplify, to get rid of anything extraneous that isn't making me happy or serving some valuable purpose, so my focus has been on purging. We also took 3 cars full of stuff to Goodwill. I'm not done yet, still a fair amount to do, but nearing completion of this nightmare project.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:23 PM

740 posts, read 455,944 times
Found a local store that sold used Blu ray movies for $3 each. Bought 9 Blu ray last night. They also sell PS and Xbox used games for $2 but I don't play PS or Xbox games so I didn't check their selection.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:02 PM

730 posts, read 1,657,120 times
I can fix almost anything, so I buy things needing repair on Craigslist or Letgo. My recent scores:

Lawnmower(s) - two - one for $15.00 another for $20.00 - Cleaned the carburetors on both, changed the air filters. Cost was $5.00 each machine. Am giving one to one son of ours, the other will keep as a spare or sell for $100.

Leaf Blower - the poster on Craigslist said best offer - if not sold by friday - it goes in the garbage. Paid $5. Spent 10 minutes to get it running - no parts needed. Giving it to the son who gets the lawnmower.

Pressure Washer - paid $30.00 - ad said needs work. I tried repairing the pump, but it was shot - spent $60. on a new pump and fixed the carburetor- had the part on hand from an old unit. Works like new - keeping it.

Found leaf blower and string trimmer - they didn't work. Cleaned the carbs on both - run fine now - giving them to the same son as the other items.

Weber BBQ - bought $20. on Craigslist - needed ash catcher - just ordered from Weber - $18. - Giving to son who gets the other stuff.

So i spent under $200. for stuff that originally cost about $1,500 and they all work fine now.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:30 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
I can fix almost anything, so I buy things needing repair on Craigslist or Letgo. My recent scores:

Lawnmower(s) - two - one for $15.00 another for $20.00 - Cleaned the carburetors on both, changed the air filters. Cost was $5.00 each machine. Am giving one to one son of ours, the other will keep as a spare or sell for $100.

Leaf Blower - the poster on Craigslist said best offer - if not sold by friday - it goes in the garbage. Paid $5. Spent 10 minutes to get it running - no parts needed. Giving it to the son who gets the lawnmower.

Pressure Washer - paid $30.00 - ad said needs work. I tried repairing the pump, but it was shot - spent $60. on a new pump and fixed the carburetor- had the part on hand from an old unit. Works like new - keeping it.

Found leaf blower and string trimmer - they didn't work. Cleaned the carbs on both - run fine now - giving them to the same son as the other items.

Weber BBQ - bought $20. on Craigslist - needed ash catcher - just ordered from Weber - $18. - Giving to son who gets the other stuff.

So i spent under $200. for stuff that originally cost about $1,500 and they all work fine now.
Thats great if you can actually fix things.

I cant find my way out of a paper bag and can barely change batteries.

Id never have made it as an engineering student in college.

But it sounds lije you scored some stuff.

Who knows you might have bought a broken item from me.....care to take a stab at copier/printers??? I got a couple for you....

Old 05-17-2019, 05:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

Who knows you might have bought a broken item from me.....care to take a stab at copier/printers??? I got a couple for you....

I like to tell my wife that you pay for your ignorance. So the 1200 I spent on a new compressor and AC components? Yep, I don' t have the tools or the knowledge to fix that.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:37 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

My son can fix almost anything. Last summer my central air kicked. My son looked at it and did some computer time and thought that it was the capacitor. He wasn't sure because he'd never fixed HVAC. He found a five star guy who did this on the side and charged a very reasonable price. It was the capacitor. He apologized for putting me in a position to have to pay someone for something that he could have done.

That's OK with me because I haven't paid for a car repair since 2012. I have no idea how he figures these these things out. He started fixing the family computer when he was about 13. He also does limited plumbing and electrical work. More electrical work than plumbing because of a high school teacher that he respected. Mr. Allen. He was a Vietnam veteran and then worked for a couple of the acronym agencies. He left those jobs because he wanted to teach. I'm so glad that he did.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:40 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
Got a near brand new Foodsaver for $10 from a private seller on FB. Value is $50+. Have wanted one for awhile but retail prices are too steep. Now I hv to find where cheap bags can be purchased.

Also got a glass computer desk for $20 same way. Value is over $100. I disassembled it to get it into the car. Now I have to put it back ar home.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:06 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Got $100 off a summer quilt.....

on sale due to overstock in one color, other colors $170....

Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,378,652 times
Went to the thrift store today and bought a brand new teflon tart pan for $1. Also bought a new Emile Henry pie plate for $3 (they sell at William Sonoma for about $40 -- very nice quality -- made in France). Also bought a music CD($1) called "Italian Living" of beautiful Italian opera and classical composers and the Pulitzer Prize winning book GOLDFINCH by Donna Tart for 50 cents. Good scores!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living