Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times

Advertisements

I think Kleenex has nailed it. BriannasMomma - are you just trying to make a point?
Tightwad has identified the problem issues here. And for those who are concerned about their utility bills, you can always contact your utility provider and ask them for a free audit of your usage. For those in Arizona, you can go to this link and see what appliances cost you per kilowatt hour (kWh) and how much electricity is used by each. APS :: Appliance Usage Information Your utility probably has the same type of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
My electric bill for a two bedroom condo runs about about 25.00 a month here. Sorry, just had to rub it in.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Holy geezus--I get in lots of trouble with the boyfriend if the thermostat is above 68 in the winter! 75 is way, way, way too high. Ours is normally 65 while home in the evening, and 60 when going to bed/at work. I don't know anyone who keeps their house as warm as you do in the winter, even if they have the money to pay the bill.

I'm one of those people that's always cold--so here's what I do: Wear slippers, put on sweatpants/sweatshirt when I get home, have fleece blankets available for lounging on the couch, and use flannel or fleece sheets on the bed.

Also, potatoes can easily be baked in the microwave. If you like the crispness of the skins to eat, you can pop them in the oven for a bit--but not a whole hour! Do you maybe need some more dishes so that you don't run the dishwasher bc you're out of plates or whatever? Can't see how anyone could need to run dishwasher twice a day--once tops if you used a ton of pots and pans to cook.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Yeah, I'm shocked at the number of times she runs the dishwasher, too. We average less than once a day for our family of four. I'm also guessing that based on living in an apartment, she's probably washing her family's clothes elsewhere, which makes that bill even more shocking.

OP, if you turn down the heat and your bill is still outrageous, call your utility company and ask for an energy audit. There is absolutely no excuse for your bill to be that high!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmomma View Post
I got our electric bill and I was in total shock! Last month it was $248. I don't know what we are doing to make our electric bill so high. Our heat is electric and I keep it on 75 during the day and maybe 78 at night. We are in an upstairs apartment. We have 1 TV. I use the oven every night for an hour to bake a potato. I use the dishwasher 1-2 times a day depending. But I have a feeling it's the heat that's causing our bill to be so high. I have it set it on 70 which still feels a bit cold but we can't afford $300 for electric every month. Do you all think $300 sounds right for such a small space?

If you are genuinely concerned and don't want the high utility bill- first-

turn the thermostat to 70. Is it cold in a bedroom or something? Get a thermometer or several and put around (don't put over or near vents). If you are cold- there may be a heating issue. You may have a break/leak in your duct work...so you cranking your heat up...you may be heating the downstairs or heating the attic. So just check the temps in your apartment. Wear socks/slippers in winter and a comfy sweater...even the kids can have their own 'house coat' and 'house slippers'.

Next, do your baking once or twice a week- if possible. Preheating and baking an oven every day is an energy waster. You can bake potatoes in the oven and refrigerate them...then the next day have mashed. But you must tweak your lifestyle. Want oven baked potatoes daily- it will cost you $300 monthly. It would be better to stop by Wendy's drive thru and pick one up on the way home from work for dinner.

Since you are in an apartment, I have to guess you don't have more than 3 children....so you could handwash or just do one load of dishes a day...or just buy more dishes and wait til the dishwasher is FULL to run it.

But talk to your neighbors in your complex to compare bills. I once had high utility bills and couldn't figure it out until I did some digging around - literally....there was no insulation! NONE! The landlord didn't tell me...but I didn't think to ask.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
I got our electric bill and I was in total shock! Last month it was $248. I don't know what we are doing to make our electric bill so high. Our heat is electric and I keep it on 75 during the day and maybe 78 at night. We are in an upstairs apartment. We have 1 TV. I use the oven every night for an hour to bake a potato. I use the dishwasher 1-2 times a day depending. But I have a feeling it's the heat that's causing our bill to be so high. I have it set it on 70 which still feels a bit cold but we can't afford $300 for electric every month. Do you all think $300 sounds right for such a small space?
wow that is a really high temperature for heat.

I am a stay at home parent and we keep it at 66-68 during the day (still kind of high as far as frugality goes) and 62-64 at night.

I would turn your heat down to start.

While that amount of money seems high, I would have to hear what your KWH charge is. It also sounds like your heating is not very efficient - old windows, baseboard heating, poor insulation? do you live in a very cold climate?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
I live in Arizona (which can get to 115 degrees easily in the summer) and the bill for my 828 sq. ft. townhome has never gotten above $100 in one month. I don't have any energy efficient appliances, my HVAC is new but the lowest efficiency you can buy, and I also use the oven every day.

You are doing something very, very wrong. I know we're talking two different seasons here, but if I can strip down and use my ceiling fans in the summer in 115 degree heat, then you can surely bundle up inside the house during those cold winter months.

Something is off here...

Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 AM

600 posts, read 1,608,858 times
Wow, I am pissed at my roommate cause he keeps the heater on 72. It too hot for me. 70 would be perfect. And even at 72 our last bill was $ 135, so it doesn't surprise me that yours is that high.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
What else can you expect wasting electricity,very wasteful.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Electric heat is very high to run and that temepratures would only mean its runnig most of the time in cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living