U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:40 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,025,607 times

Advertisements

We've been living in reduced financial circumstances for about 3 years now. When we first fell into the land of unemployment, I became the most frugal person alive---if I didn't absolutely need it for survival, I didn't buy it. And I got pretty good at using what I had.

But then I realized you do have to replenish your "things" on a more or less regular basis, or you wake up one day and find you don't have a single sock, underwear, shoes, etc.

You do need to keep the supplies going. Now I buy staples when I find sales, coupons, etc, rather than like last Fall, I realized I had one pair of shoes, most of my clothes had tears, stains, etc, and had just one set of bed sheets with rips and stains. Ok, get real---we're not that hard up.

Last week I bought some nice sheets on QVC, 350 TC, king set, $29. I bought 2 sets (they last twice as long), also got some sheets for my kids. You can't let things just completely run out in the name of frugality or you end up buying top dollar because you're in a crisis and need it then.

For my last job I bought 4 blouses at Goodwill, all 4 new, 2 short-sleeve, 2 long sleeve, in neutral colors, and used those to make a "wardrobe" of my castoffs. I literally went through my Goodwill bag and found stuff I could get more life out of, with just some simple repairs, ironing, stain removal, etc, I looked pretty good. But since then I pick up an item or two on sale to keep my wardrobe going, can't wake up one day and realize you're raiding your own Goodwill bag!

Guess what I'm saying is that despite the economy our needs continue, plan for them, instead of bumping into them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 AM

12,967 posts, read 24,020,746 times
I've always been frugal, and since I lost my job, I've become positively cheap. But I've always stocked up on things, so it's not too bad. I just make sure that I have enough money for my rent, utilities and bills. After than comes food and cat food, but I'm always stocked up on that, so I don't buy much. Just a little here and there., but I use coupons (internet and Sunday paper. I shop at Walmart a lot for groceries (no meat dept), and normally get $20-$30 off of my bill. I also shop at ethnic grocery stores, and produce is quite a bit less than the chain stores.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,288,861 times
So right! I knew I had taken it too far when I'd worn my jeans so much that a hole began to form. When your buttcheek falls out of your jeans, stop being cheap and get a new pair!

Old 03-04-2010, 02:11 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We've been living in reduced financial circumstances for about 3 years now. When we first fell into the land of unemployment, I became the most frugal person alive---if I didn't absolutely need it for survival, I didn't buy it. And I got pretty good at using what I had.

But then I realized you do have to replenish your "things" on a more or less regular basis, or you wake up one day and find you don't have a single sock, underwear, shoes, etc.

You do need to keep the supplies going. Now I buy staples when I find sales, coupons, etc, rather than like last Fall, I realized I had one pair of shoes, most of my clothes had tears, stains, etc, and had just one set of bed sheets with rips and stains. Ok, get real---we're not that hard up.

Last week I bought some nice sheets on QVC, 350 TC, king set, $29. I bought 2 sets (they last twice as long), also got some sheets for my kids. You can't let things just completely run out in the name of frugality or you end up buying top dollar because you're in a crisis and need it then.

For my last job I bought 4 blouses at Goodwill, all 4 new, 2 short-sleeve, 2 long sleeve, in neutral colors, and used those to make a "wardrobe" of my castoffs. I literally went through my Goodwill bag and found stuff I could get more life out of, with just some simple repairs, ironing, stain removal, etc, I looked pretty good. But since then I pick up an item or two on sale to keep my wardrobe going, can't wake up one day and realize you're raiding your own Goodwill bag!

Guess what I'm saying is that despite the economy our needs continue, plan for them, instead of bumping into them!
great post, i love it. dave ramsey for president.
a bit of humor. i recently did some clutter busting and took alota stuff to good will. then i realized i wasnt donating, i was just returning rented clothing to the owner. i get all my stuff at goodwill.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:34 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
Most of us have so many clothes we really don't ever need to buy more -- that is unless we get too fat or too skinny!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:37 AM

2,539 posts, read 8,568,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I also shop at ethnic grocery stores, and produce is quite a bit less than the chain stores.
I've been learning to love North Park Produce.

(San Diego ethnic market with super cheap prices)

Old 03-05-2010, 06:00 AM

23,603 posts, read 31,161,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Most of us have so many clothes we really don't ever need to buy more -- that is unless we get too fat or too skinny!
I have had to replace my entire wardrobe, including underwear, after losing over 100 lbs. It has cost a fortune but it was worth it! I can't even wear last spring's clothes. I am counting on staying the same size for the foreseeable future so hopefully the costs will go way down, but I've been shopping for clothes mainly at Old Navy and Target. Yep, Target!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 AM

16,851 posts, read 51,335,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
So right! I knew I had taken it too far when I'd worn my jeans so much that a hole began to form. When your buttcheek falls out of your jeans, stop being cheap and get a new pair!
Please don't. We like to be entertained.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,025,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have had to replace my entire wardrobe, including underwear, after losing over 100 lbs. It has cost a fortune but it was worth it! I can't even wear last spring's clothes. I am counting on staying the same size for the foreseeable future so hopefully the costs will go way down, but I've been shopping for clothes mainly at Old Navy and Target. Yep, Target!

Hey, I consider Target Haute couture.

Really, if you seriously shop sales and use coupons you can do a nice wardrobe on a shoestring.

About a year ago I got waaaaaay too tight, wouldn't part with a penny unless my life depended on it. Well, that was ok for awhile, but eventually you do need to replenish necessities, such as clothes, sheets, towels, socks, school supplies, etc, best to keep it going when you find bargains than have to replace things in a panic.

I've become a fan of thrift stores. My dh lives in another city, comes home on weekends, that is until we can sell our home and follow. We've furnished his entire apt with thrift store finds, it really looks nice, did the whole apt for $300! And nice thing is, when we move, we can just ditch most of it since we didn't make a big investment, it could cost more than we paid to rent a truck, hire people to move, store, etc. Just like we saw someone else in his apt complex, they put up a sign, free stuff, you haul off, stuff was gone in about an hour, they didn't have the hassle and expense of moving it. That's only feasible if you didn't spend a lot to begin with.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:44 AM

12,967 posts, read 24,020,746 times
I buy my clothes in thrift stores, and find lots of nice designer items for literally nothing. Salvation Army is my favorite, and I furnished most of my house from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or