Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:16 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times

Advertisements

In our area we can subscribe to the Sunday paper for $50 per year. With Harris Teeter always doubling and sometimes tripling it's well worth the cost of the paper. And 5% off for seniors on Thursdays doesn't hurt either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
I just looked up some coupons on line, 3 sights so far.

Two of the sights had coupons for the same products (coupon.com and smartsource.com).
Redplum.com seemed to have different coupons (some products I never heard of and I can't get locally).
As I was looking at this last sight my printer stopped because I'm running out of ink. This is a brand new printer We have had it for about a month and have not used it very often.
I am starting to wonder if printing the coupons is going to be worth the expense? Not to mention the cost of the paper?

Also, of the coupons I did print most of them expire in a month, so I would have to use them in this time regardless of whether they are on sale or not, and half of them say not to double.
How is it that I can save $300.00 on my food bill a month with coupons?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post

Also, of the coupons I did print most of them expire in a month, so I would have to use them in this time regardless of whether they are on sale or not, and half of them say not to double.
How is it that I can save $300.00 on my food bill a month with coupons?
Generally speaking, the majority of the best coupons still come in the Sunday papers. And to save that kind of $$ w/coupons alone - you need to use them at stores that double or triple.

I don't know who gave you that $300 savings on coupons amount, that seems high unless you have a very large family and/or buy lots of Sunday papers - I've heard of some people buying 5 papers when they have a lot of good coupons in them. I figure in most weeks we save about $30 or so w/coupons (and that is w/3 of the stores around here doubling up to $.50), and we spend about $70/week on groceries for two of us. I almost exclusively use coupons on grocery sale items, especially the BOGO deals.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Generally speaking, the majority of the best coupons still come in the Sunday papers. And to save that kind of $$ w/coupons alone - you need to use them at stores that double or triple.

I don't know who gave you that $300 savings on coupons amount, that seems high unless you have a very large family and/or buy lots of Sunday papers - I've heard of some people buying 5 papers when they have a lot of good coupons in them. I figure in most weeks we save about $30 or so w/coupons (and that is w/3 of the stores around here doubling up to $.50), and we spend about $70/week on groceries for two of us. I almost exclusively use coupons on grocery sale items, especially the BOGO deals.

The $300.00 was from another thread about walmart and a lady who shops sale and uses lots of coupons.

In my town we don't get a Sunday paper. It comes out Tuesday and Friday. They do have a Wed addition, but it's pretty much the same stuff as on Tue.

Hmm, Does USA Today have a Sunday edition? And do they usually have coupons?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
In my town we don't get a Sunday paper. It comes out Tuesday and Friday. They do have a Wed addition, but it's pretty much the same stuff as on Tue.

Hmm, Does USA Today have a Sunday edition? And do they usually have coupons?
No they don't, typically it's going to be your regional paper that has a Sunday paper. I see you are in eastern Tennessee, so maybe Knoxville, Johnson City/Tri-cities, Asheville, NC, Chattanooga - are you close to any of those locations? I'm pretty sure all those cities would have a Sunday paper.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
No they don't, typically it's going to be your regional paper that has a Sunday paper. I see you are in eastern Tennessee, so maybe Knoxville, Johnson City/Tri-cities, Asheville, NC, Chattanooga - are you close to any of those locations? I'm pretty sure all those cities would have a Sunday paper.

Yes, my best bet is the Knoxville News Sentinel. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 AM

484 posts, read 1,583,892 times
Couponmom.com is my favorite.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
People that can save up to $300 a month on couponing probably buy just anything. For those of us who don't, it's harder to find coupons for what I use the most. I save the most from a store that doesn't take manufacturers coupons: Fresh and Easy. They have their own store coupons and I always head to the marked down section and save more than I would in a "normal" grocery store.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:37 PM

174 posts, read 488,191 times
I like:
Hip2Save - Not Your Grandma's Coupon Site
WildforWags
TotallyTarget.com
i heart cvs
i heart wags

they are very good in posting new coupons as they come out. they also have giveaways and also post the sales with coupon matchups. lots of great information.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 PM

850 posts, read 1,545,946 times
Clickoramacoupons.com is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living