U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 11:42 AM

3,468 posts, read 1,983,736 times

Advertisements

I once, for 5 years lived WITHOUT a personal vehicle.

If I can avoid it, never again

It's 1 mile and a half to walk to the bus stop, with my cane in hand, that's quite a trek.its uphill both ways, lol.

I got very tired of standing waiting in the hot heat of summer and bundled up in winter waiting for a bus. And I allowed myself an extra 20 mins or so before the bus was to arrive at the stop as sometimes it was early. And I hated waiting when it was late.

I also hated having to transfer buses and going from point a to point b via points d k m r and p.

No Thank you, I will hold onto my vehicle. It's paid for, I think the insurance is getting high, but it's a cost I will gladly pay. If my OH s schedule and mine would allow, we'd only have one vehicle if we could.

Also for longer trips it's nice yo hop in mine than to rent a car to go someplace over 15 miles away.

I'll keep my minivan, thank you.

Only when I can't drive anymore will I seek alternatives.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:59 PM

11,896 posts, read 14,364,183 times
Only a few metro areas are blessed with good public transit: trains running multiple directions from Center City. Bicycles are a good option up to 8 km, in all kinds of weather. Of course, there is also the "Shoe Leather Express," maybe 2 km comfortably.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 AM

3,658 posts, read 1,197,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
In reality the time to travel 2 miles , or 5 miles, on a bike is very short compared to walking. At times a bike is FASTER than a car over the same distance.
By doing what? Blowing through red lights and stop signs? Bikes are supposed to follow the same road laws as cars. And on local city streets cars have a max speed limit (in my area anyway) of 30 MPH. No way a casual rider can ride that fast.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 AM

612 posts, read 330,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
By doing what? Blowing through red lights and stop signs? Bikes are supposed to follow the same road laws as cars. And on local city streets cars have a max speed limit (in my area anyway) of 30 MPH. No way a casual rider can ride that fast.
"At times" a bike is faster, like they said.
If the same distance is being covered using a bike lane or separate
bike path, then yes, it would be faster than by car.

-

Old 12-20-2017, 07:11 AM

337 posts, read 278,588 times
This depends - I lived in Miami and Chicago and both cities you can do without a car BUT Miami is very dangerous (as far as the bus route).
I lived in Jacksonville and IMPOSSIBLE bus route. The time and energy is not worth it. Recently, I got a newer car and pay a car payment. Is that a dumb move? No way - my old car required expensive repairs. My car was 17 years old - and the parts had to be FedEx from the next city over as they were getting harder to get. A simple job was always over 300 dollars in repairs. Basically, the car was bleeding me dry.
My new car is only 250 a month with free oil changes and peace of mind. I now never worry about some part falling off the car or being stuck somewhere.
The city I live in now also has a terrible bus route. I find the money worth it.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:37 AM

22,712 posts, read 21,770,674 times
I've lived in areas with no bike lanes, bike lanes where you're more likely than not to be injured, no shoulder--at all--on county roads. There's no way in hell that I'd ride a bike on the street in a major city.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 AM

3,374 posts, read 4,553,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLand09 View Post
This depends - I lived in Miami and Chicago and both cities you can do without a car BUT Miami is very dangerous (as far as the bus route).
I lived in Jacksonville and IMPOSSIBLE bus route. The time and energy is not worth it. Recently, I got a newer car and pay a car payment. Is that a dumb move? No way - my old car required expensive repairs. My car was 17 years old - and the parts had to be FedEx from the next city over as they were getting harder to get. A simple job was always over 300 dollars in repairs. Basically, the car was bleeding me dry.
My new car is only 250 a month with free oil changes and peace of mind. I now never worry about some part falling off the car or being stuck somewhere.
The city I live in now also has a terrible bus route. I find the money worth it.
But then that car is doomed to get old and wear down as well. And possibly also suffer from the same, obsolescence issues that plagued your older car as parts for it became increasingly harder to find since it's always "new is better" with most car manufacturers.
After suffering through the last, four years on the vehicle payment woes, I'm now on the final straw with what's going to be my last vehicle. I attempted to trade in a pickup truck for a smaller car, but ended up getting financed for the small car and ending up with two vehicles I didn't have a need for. Ended up trading the two vehicles in for another pickup at another dealership and took the hit. Long story short, don't go to dealerships and pocket money over time if the car is needed that bad.

As far as living car-free goes, I've done it for years prior to owning vehicles again in 2012. Living in CA, car ownership(to me) was a stressful thing. Smog requirements, not getting your tags if the car didn't pass, forced to get a new vehicle that could pass in order to drive. After a couple of years, I tossed my non-smoggable vehicle to the curb and just started riding my bicycle.
Then I moved out to NM in 2012 and was gradually normalized back into car/truck ownership simply because the registration costs weren't out of control and smog/emissions requirements, if any, were much easier to meet than the ones I dealt with back in CA.
Now I'm faced with ditching the pickup once again and strictly sticking to my bicycles and motorcycle if I have to move out of state for work again. I'm finding more work than I could shake a fist at in my chosen line(truck driving) in the Denver metro area. But the costs for registration and emissions requirements up there seem to be like moving back to CA again.
Figure if I could cut one extra expense out of my life before heading up there, then the pickup would be the first thing to go once it's paid off. After that, pack what I have into a UHaul and then rent cars/trucks when I need them.
Besides, I only ever use my pickup for trips over 400 miles. With the long nights semi truck driving entails, that pickup or car just sits in the driveway for weeks on end.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:27 AM

121 posts, read 53,364 times
There is good news as many smaller communities with even 1500 county seats have developed their own low cost bus systems within the county and sometimes reach next metropolitan area. Is nice to know if cash strapped or elderly and living in rural area, can call for the bus to get anywhere around area. Sadly, many areas are no longer served by Greyhound or Amtrak so is harder to get a rental car in next larger town. Need to arrange a ride with a commuter to next city or hitch-hike. Uber type stuff is probably still an option but company has been keeping drivers accused of assaults and rapes until cops arrested the guy. Most states seem to be developing these small town transportation systems self funded with $2 each way in town, more for longer trips.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:07 PM

74 posts, read 58,373 times
Can you help me by looking at a post I made here but it got moved to TN forum I guess cuz it limited cities. Id like someone with experience riding buses to tell me which is the better city for living without a car.

Which of these two small cities has the better bus route?
I've never ridden buses exclusively so I am coming here for those that do currently or have in the past.

Please judge for me the better city if I dont own a car.

Im looking at Bristol, TN 27k pop and Kingsport TN 53K pop

https://kingsporttransit.org/routes/
scroll down on that link and it has the map of route

Public Transit | Bristol, TN - Official Website
scroll down and you'll need to download the pdf to see Bristols map of routes.

Sorry, I dont know how to make the pictures show up here.

I dont like big cities. And Id rather not have the worst of summer or the worst of winter. So these small cities fit the bill. But if anyone has more ideas for me of locations with buses I would look into it.

Thank you
I know the frugal folks can help!

Old 12-26-2017, 12:29 PM

253 posts, read 151,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've lived in areas with no bike lanes, bike lanes where you're more likely than not to be injured, no shoulder--at all--on county roads. There's no way in hell that I'd ride a bike on the street in a major city.
I spent 2016 biking all over Seoul, but of course their infrastructure was top notch and all the roads I ever ended up on had unofficial bike lanes.

We're 'car-lite'. I've commuted via driving to work about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 1/2 years. In 2015 I lived about 2/3 of a mile from work, in Seoul I was about 1/3 of a mile away, now I'm 1 1/5 miles out. I accidentally found out years ago that the key to getting away with cheap used cars was to live really, really close to work. I've always hated commuting too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living