U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm not ready to go car-free yet, but we live in a place where I think I could when I am ready. I'm here in coastal Florida, so the terrain is flat and the weather is nice, easy for biking or walking. While I don't live in an "urban" setting, this is an older neighborhood just two blocks off the main drag, and within a mile or two I have everything - grocery, restaurants, drugstore, medical and dental, two colleges, airport and much more. Also the bus stop is only two blocks from the house.

So....the potential is there. Do ya think! I am driving a 10 year old Jeep, I don't do a whole lot of driving, but when this car poops out, I don't want another one. I have a nice commuter/cruiser bicycle I recently bought for exercise, so I want to try to utilize that more when the time comes. Big problem here where I live is the dangerous traffic, riding a bike on the highway (even with a bike lane) around here is scary. At least there are sidewalks for pedestrians, so all is good there.

I admire all of you who have ditched your cars. Someday I will, too.
You are so close to being car free it's pitiful. Do the numbers on what the rusting hulk sitting in the driveway is costing you and see how fast you find it GONE!!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM

7,282 posts, read 15,283,732 times
I couldn't imagine living that close to the Gulf and not having motor transportation I could control come hurricane season, even if it's a barely running beater that will just barely make Lakeland or Orlando on back roads. The logistics of evacuating when you don't have a car and aren't on the senior citizen/paratransit lists are significantly more awkward.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times
Remember Charley? August 13, 2004? Wasn't supposed to hit the town I lived in, but did. Never evacuated.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM

I remember the tree landing on my garage roof during Ivan as the wind howled all around and thinking that I didn't want to stay home through that again.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:50 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,502,858 times
Is it not possible to make standing arrangements with a car-owning friend to evacuate together should it be warranted?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM

400 posts, read 701,098 times
I hate driving so much, but living in a rural state that is frozen 9 months of the year means a car is a requirement. And living close to a decent job would likely mean living in a dump in a crummy part of town that has no yard. And since a large amount of the cost of a vehicle has to be paid whether you drive it once a week or every day...

Old 04-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Is it not possible to make standing arrangements with a car-owning friend to evacuate together should it be warranted?
Possible, but logistics do get decidedly harder in terms of syncing up a departure time, who gets how much of the trunk space, etc.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:43 PM

3,007 posts, read 4,870,355 times
We only have one car. My wife has lived without one for a year and was featured in an exhibit:

Without A Car in the World

http://www.lmu.edu/lmunews/Professor...&PageMode=View

However we did it out of financial necessity.

I'd love to ditch the car completely but you just can't do it in the majority of southern California.

Last edited by harhar; 04-23-2010 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: added another link

Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,405,481 times
Isn't it funny when you first get a car and can't wait to drive it all over and take people places in it...then after a while the novelty wears off and when you do have to drive a lot it's not fun anymore?
I helped my oldest dauughter get her car when she moved up her from Tucson cuz she couldnt get around good on the bus and I didnt want her always borrowing mine. So she was sooo excited at first, and I warned her she would eventually get tired of driving around so much.
So after about 6 months maybe she's started complaining about being tired of driving all over (since Phx is pretty spread out here)and other people wanting rides lol..
I drive as little as possible. IF I can walk somewhere I do...but its just not really plausible here. Especially when its like 115 degrees out! I tried walking to my kids school to get her a couple times during like September or late spring and it was soooo hot...my daughter was like "Please dont make me walk again in this heat! " lol poor thing.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I couldn't imagine living that close to the Gulf and not having motor transportation I could control come hurricane season, even if it's a barely running beater that will just barely make Lakeland or Orlando on back roads. The logistics of evacuating when you don't have a car and aren't on the senior citizen/paratransit lists are significantly more awkward.
I can relate. I once lived on a small island off of the Gulf Coast. We were connected to the mainland via a very long bridge.

I suppose that's why I am a proponent of "car-lite" living. Keep ONE well-maintained automoblle----then make a game of seeing how long you can go without driving it.

It's probably a good idea to drive once per month. Keeps your driving skills up, the car in working order, and you can run your "big" errands on this trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living