Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:29 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times

Advertisements

Being car-free isn’t an option in most of America.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:06 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I firmly believe that cars are huge drain on any family resources so I use mine as little as possible riding a bicycle instead to satisfy my transportation needs in my small town. Were I to live where mass transit was available I wouldn't own a vehicle at all.

"Growing up as a teenager in the suburbs, I believed cars were a source of independence. Yet, over the years, I've come to see cars as a symptom of cultural sickness. In college, I decided to save money by not purchasing a car and found that I also escaped worries of shoveling the snow from around its tires, finding parking, and arguing with mechanics."

No Car, No Problem: The Benefits of Car-Free Living | Environment | AlterNet
Cars are a sickness.

Time wasted commuting and driving to do EVERYTHING.

$$$ wasted.

Socially alienating, dull neighborhoods.

Every metro area I've researched has a traffic problem.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:40 AM

354 posts, read 281,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If more people used bikes maybe my commute and driving errands would take even less time. ...Except for them hogging up an entire lane Cyclists don't need an entire lane. But that's another conversation.......
That's a conversation about the poor excuse for infrastructure in eastern NC. Agree 100% bikes don't take an entire lane, except for when the roads are so narrow that a Honda barely fits between the lines. I suppose the argument would be that non-cars should be on the sidewalk ... except that sidewalks here don't exist [nor do crosswalks] and the few that do aren't ADA compliant.

Everyone pays for the road (https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-roads/393134/). I guess around here it just gets embezzled (https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...193352019.html, Southern Pines police employee charged with embezzlement | Crime | sanfordherald.com, https://myfox8.com/2018/08/01/former...-embezzlement/)

Thankfully I'm just passing through. I feel sorry for the people that actually live here. I see them attempting to cross Skibo Road all the time, often with kids in tow.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:19 PM

747 posts, read 839,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Being car-free isn’t an option in most of America.
Exactly. This thread is entirely about city folks. My guess would be that 90% of the geographical area of the US does not have access to public transportation or walkable / bikeable facilities.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:32 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Las Vegas has good public transportation for a city of its size. But half the year, it is too hot to use it!

Old 08-30-2018, 11:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Cars are a sickness.

$$$ wasted.

Over a billion people would disagree with you. I own four myself and I feel just fine. I like being able to drive where I want, when I want. It beats any form of mass transit, as well as cabs, Uber, Lyft, etc.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:27 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Over a billion people would disagree with you. I own four myself and I feel just fine. I like being able to drive where I want, when I want. It beats any form of mass transit, as well as cabs, Uber, Lyft, etc.
110% correct!

Old 08-31-2018, 10:42 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Cars are a sickness.

$$$ wasted.

I will add:
There is no reason to surround yourself with needless metal and empty space where at least three other passengers could be riding to get around town. Almost every car I see has contains only the driver. Why haul around so much metal if it's only you in the car? I'm a Vespa driver, myself.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:11 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
By way of update, it's been about eight months since I
followed through on those plans and got rid of my car, and the
only thing I miss about it is being able to belt out songs with
the windows rolled up when going from Point-A to Point-B on
any given day.

Other than that, I don't miss the drama at all, and when I do
need a car, I use Lyft (haven't tried Uber yet). It’s all the
convenience of car ownership without the liability.

-
I probably a year out from not owning a car and not driving. I'm 80 and have had a knee issue so was pretty much against the wall about driving so did it. And there are times when I "think" I miss it but am doing fine, and our town has a lot of services re: getting around and I have food delivery a lot and friends help...so it's kind of a relief and no more auto drama...for sure.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:15 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You and Jay Leno...could sure feed a lot of hungry people with what all that metal costs.

I drove over 60 yrs and owned many autos, one at a time and don't miss it much at 80. Life changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living