Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times

Advertisements

Don't some restaurants donate their unused food items to various shelters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Only the very brave ones. Their insurance companies discourage it.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiss240 View Post
You mean like that homeless guy I met last week in philly who wanted money but turned down a free meal?

I have been through some incredibly poor sections of the city. Maybe its a philly thing, but most people in the hood are overweight to some degree. As was mentioned before, its not access to food thats the problem, its access to quality food. In America, the cheapest way to put 500 calories in your belly is a $1 double cheese burger from McDonald's.

PS, blaming the "media" is good way to have people totally ignore what could be a valid argument. Example: right-wing conservatives, Hamas/Hezbollah, conspiracy theorists, etc...

Hi Fiss240,

Its all up to the individual. Its not availability, but ignorance of availability. Nature and the food supply chain are complete opposites. In nature the only thing hard to come by is calories while nutrition is in abundance. In our food supply chain calories are in abundance, but not nutrition.
I find it amusing to see a war going on on a patch of land between someone who is determined to have a bear patch of nothing but mulch and some common purslane determined to grow there. My guess is thy have guns blazing with weed killer. I wonder if those same individuals are taking fish oil? We are one of the most determined cultures the world has ever seen to actively remove anything edible or simply ignore it if it is. Food comes from a store.

We should love this plant; but alas, we are complete idiots.

Purslane (Portulaca oleracea)
Purslane contains more Omega-3 fatty acids than any other leafy vegetable plant we know of. The most common dietary source of Omega-3s are cold water fish like Salmon. Omega-3s aid the body in the production of compounds that effect blood pressure, clotting, the immune system, prevent inflammation, lower cholesterol (LDL), prevent certain cancers and control coronary spasms. In addition recent studies suggest that Omega- 3s may have positive effects on the brain and may aid in such conditions as depression, bipolar disorder, Alzheimer's disease, autism, schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder, hyperactivity and migraines. Though very beneficial, there are few good dietary sources other than seafood for Omaga-3s. (Some oils, nuts, grains and other leafy vegetables do contain Omega-3s)

Old 06-17-2010, 03:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Only the very brave ones. Their insurance companies discourage it.
Tis true but shouldn't be. There is a lot of hungry people in America that could use this food as we all know.

I know a local KFC that gives their unsold food to a local handicap home and everyone look the other way so they can. The owners of the KFC got the home to sign a disclaimer release that really is just a piece of paper so the insurance company company couldn't say anything to stop it. They've been doing it for years now and their business is good due to the good will.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Tis true but shouldn't be. There is a lot of hungry people in America that could use this food as we all know.

I know a local KFC that gives their unsold food to a local handicap home and everyone look the other way so they can. The owners of the KFC got the home to sign a disclaimer release that really is just a piece of paper so the insurance company company couldn't say anything to stop it. They've been doing it for years now and their business is good due to the good will.

I think a disclaimer is as good as toilet paper if someone got an illness from the left over food.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I think a disclaimer is as good as toilet paper if someone got an illness from the left over food.
That may be but it works for them and has for several years.........

Old 06-18-2010, 05:38 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
When you go to a restaurant, other than an apparent look/smell of food being fresh or not, how are we to know how long it has been prepared before being served? KFC has their chicken ready to serve but being kept warm. What is the max time that it remains in that area before they're supposed to toss and make fresh? Perhaps they made a couple new batches but hardly any customers before closing time [whatever time that is?], and then do they get one of their reps to deliver to the shelter? In that case, the chicken may have only sat under the heat for an hour or two. Much like if you or I had come in to order up a meal. Once the shelter takes delivery, they're responsible for the proper refrigeration/heating up, before serving, aren't they?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Once the shelter takes delivery, they're responsible for the proper refrigeration/heating up, before serving, aren't they?
yes, they are. That said, proper storage conditions must be met before any food donor will donate cooked foods or else no free food.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:49 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
In NYC there's an entire organization that does just that.

City Harvest - Rescuing Food for New York's Hungry

Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 PM

171 posts, read 444,425 times
I just read an interesting book called "Growing Up Empty: The HUnger Epidemic in America." Sadly, the author proves that there are Americans who are food insecure enough for it to prove fatal. I have SEEN people who were obviously pretty close to this. It is frightening and as noted, unnecessary.

Also consider that a person who doesn't eat for days, suddenly encounters an opportunity to eat, may binge and have a pretty screwed up metabolism, so they could be overweight and still be suffering from hunger &/or malnutrition. (Or if it is a really prolonged situation, they may not be able to handle foods, suffer diarrhea and infection and even die as a result.)

I'd have to be pretty desperate to dumpster dive for food, but I think it's an interesting concept. I love the idea of rescuing waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living