Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:17 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

There is food that is free in America enough to feed almost everyone. All you have to do is go get it..............

Dive The Film Trailer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 02:51 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I hope these idiots have really good health insurance.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I hope these idiots have really good health insurance.
Timing is everything when you dive. Most food is thrown out at the end of the day so be there when they pitch to get food that is still edible but past the artificial sell by date.

Our local grocery will not let people dive but instead sets aside all out of date foods with major mark downs to help the poor and avoid the waste that places food in a dumpster. As an example you can buy a weeks worth of food there in the 'dated' section for less than $25. The grocery store owner writes off the loss as spoiled foods so all benefit.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:36 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Timing is everything when you dive. Most food is thrown out at the end of the day so be there when they pitch to get food that is still edible but past the artificial sell by date.

Our local grocery will not let people dive but instead sets aside all out of date foods with major mark downs to help the poor and avoid the waste that places food in a dumpster. As an example you can buy a weeks worth of food there in the 'dated' section for less than $25. The grocery store owner writes off the loss as spoiled foods so all benefit.
I can see that, but pulling meat, eggs, etc out of a dumpster is downright dangerous IMO. I also have bought food in the store that was expiring the next day at a huge discount. However, that is as far as I will go with it. I would never do what these guys are doing in the movie trailer you posted.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I can see that, but pulling meat, eggs, etc out of a dumpster is downright dangerous IMO. I also have bought food in the store that was expiring the next day at a huge discount. However, that is as far as I will go with it. I would never do what these guys are doing in the movie trailer you posted.
Diving as show in the trailer happens in the larger cities where food turn over is very fast. Often product will be discarded just before the expire date to keep the freshest food possible on the shelves. That is why timing is so important.

However, with the social stigma attached to diving it will not become a huge trend unless the population is placed under stress for lack of food. If that happens you're likely to be late to the party if you don't dive.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,913 times
That was a very compelling video to watch. it just goes to show how wasteful we are here in America-and how sad it is that food gets thrown away when people are starving to death out there .
I have worked in fast food when I was younger, and more recently in school cafeterias, and I have seen first hand how food gets tossed in the trash. When I was 17 and worked at Wendy's ...they would throw all kinds of good food away, just because it had not been purchased. They wouldn't even let the employees have it, we had to buy it (half off, but still...) I remember that me and this one kid used to sneak unbought food to eat it later b/c we couldn't afford to buy it. Thats just so greedy of those companies.
Same with the school cafeterias, whatever food didn't get eaten we are not allowed to give hungry kids more, nor do they donate it to a shelter or soup kitchen-once again it goes to the trash!
This whole situation just makes me sick and saddened at the same time. I just cannot fathom why on earth anyone would throw away god food instead of giving it to people that need it?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
That was a very compelling video to watch. it just goes to show how wasteful we are here in America-and how sad it is that food gets thrown away when people are starving to death out there .
I have worked in fast food when I was younger, and more recently in school cafeterias, and I have seen first hand how food gets tossed in the trash. When I was 17 and worked at Wendy's ...they would throw all kinds of good food away, just because it had not been purchased. They wouldn't even let the employees have it, we had to buy it (half off, but still...) I remember that me and this one kid used to sneak unbought food to eat it later b/c we couldn't afford to buy it. Thats just so greedy of those companies.
Same with the school cafeterias, whatever food didn't get eaten we are not allowed to give hungry kids more, nor do they donate it to a shelter or soup kitchen-once again it goes to the trash!
This whole situation just makes me sick and saddened at the same time. I just cannot fathom why on earth anyone would throw away god food instead of giving it to people that need it?

It all has to do with food borne contaminates that "might" be on the food when it gets older. No company ,nor school, wants to risk a law suit that will happen if someone gets sick ,or worse yet dies , from eating cast off food.

There are some places that do donate older/excess food to the poor but the arrangements have lots of legal paperwork to cover the donor and the recipient.

I will say one thing for sure.........
When your bellies empty and you haven't had a meal in a long time any food that isn't rotted is good food. Believe it............

Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 AM

698 posts, read 1,508,990 times
Considering how the majority of Americans are overweight and obese I doubt there are many people in America starving.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Considering how the majority of Americans are overweight and obese I doubt there are many people in America starving.
Sorry to say but the poor and the hungry are not hot topics for the media so they get little to no coverage from the media like the overweight and obese do. If they did you'd find that the overweight and obese are not in the majority at all.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM

698 posts, read 1,508,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Sorry to say but the poor and the hungry are not hot topics for the media so they get little to no coverage from the media like the overweight and obese do.
So how many people are dying in the streets from starving in the USA?

How many in the USA are starving like those in Africa?

I would say the majority of the populous is well fed and considering if your poor and can't afford food you can always get food stamps.

The only people that seem to cry about poor Americans starving are politicians seeking votes and the sheep that follow them.

Majority of americans are overweight and obese and the poor people in the U.S. usually fall under this category due to not eating healthy foods. We are probably the only nation in the world where our biggest concern is poor people getting fat due to bad eating habits. In most nations the rich are fat and the poor are skinny like sticks, however in America that has flip flopped due to access of quality food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living