Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

I don't mind people living frugally.

What I object to is when their " acting poor" gets sympathy and they then accept poverty help.

There was a couple in our area that the church folks always sent a Thansgiving and Christmas food box to their house thinking they were poor.

They always accepted the charity until someone told the church volunteers that the " poor" man had financed several farms in the area .

His name got taken off the list.
He called to inquire why he was no longer on that charity list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I don't mind people living frugally.

What I object to is when their " acting poor" gets sympathy and they then accept poverty help.

There was a couple in our area that the church folks always sent a Thansgiving and Christmas food box to their house thinking they were poor.

They always accepted the charity until someone told the church volunteers that the " poor" man had financed several farms in the area .

His name got taken off the list.
He called to inquire why he was no longer on that charity list.
Sadly, this type of behavior is the hallmark of a "skinflint" rich person not a true frugalista.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Every wonder why the public dislikes those that are courageous enough break ranks with the norm to become frugal in the purest sense?? These people are called.....scanvengers, skinflints, cheapskates and a whole host of other demeaning names because, IMO, they pose a thread to the paradigm of the norms thinking.

They alone fly in the face of what we are taught as consumers. If the truth were known we, the public, are envious of these people for avoiding the expense we wish we could with a life style that is considered repugnant to many.
Coming from a not very frugal person... If a persons 'frugality' doesnt affect me I could care less. When I have to deal with my cheap co workers complain for a week because they just bought a lunch because they forgot theirs its annoying. The other day this guy I work with took a 24 case of coke from the breakroom that was suppose to be for everyone. I went in their to grab a pop and there was nothing left and I see this numbnut walking out with an entire case.

I am in no way jealous of your lifestyle or anyone that is 'frugal'. If it brings me enjoyment and I can afford it I have no regrets with spending money. I think people are cheap that stack every penny they get their hands on in the bank and never learning to live a little.

I also think its funny that you had to make a thread saying that you are better then the non frugal people

Old 05-04-2010, 05:48 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Coming from a not very frugal person... If a persons 'frugality' doesnt affect me I could care less. When I have to deal with my cheap co workers complain for a week because they just bought a lunch because they forgot theirs its annoying. The other day this guy I work with took a 24 case of coke from the breakroom that was suppose to be for everyone. I went in their to grab a pop and there was nothing left and I see this numbnut walking out with an entire case.

I am in no way jealous of your lifestyle or anyone that is 'frugal'. If it brings me enjoyment and I can afford it I have no regrets with spending money. I think people are cheap that stack every penny they get their hands on in the bank and never learning to live a little.

I also think its funny that you had to make a thread saying that you are better then the non frugal people
Per TOS: Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:44 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
Quote:
Per TOS: Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.
uhhhhh ok thanks for copying and pasting that.... And where did i do that?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Every wonder why the public dislikes those that are courageous enough break ranks with the norm to become frugal in the purest sense?? These people are called.....scanvengers, skinflints, cheapskates and a whole host of other demeaning names because, IMO, they pose a thread to the paradigm of the norms thinking.

They alone fly in the face of what we are taught as consumers. If the truth were known we, the public, are envious of these people for avoiding the expense we wish we could with a life style that is considered repugnant to many.
Those terms you use are just words and they hold no power other than the power that we give them. When someone refers to me as a "skinflint" or "cheapskate" I give them a hearty smile and say "thank you". Because in MY vocabulary, they are compliments and not derogatory in the slightest.

People do what they feel comfortable doing and what makes them happy in this world. I do not respect those big spenders because I feel that their lifestyle is wasteful and over the top. However, as long as they can afford it, and hurt no one in the process, I really cannot complain to loudly. Therefore, if I live a lifestyle that is highly frugal by their standards, I expect the same courtesy. If they insist on being rude about it, the worst thing I can do is take offense, so I just pretend they meant it as a compliment. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Well, I personally don't have any problem with someone who wants to live frugally.

For me, though, there is a line or really a zone that on one side is "frugal" and on the other side is "crazy skinflint" - example - we heat with firewood. I think that's frugal. Now if we wore coats inside the house all winter and only burnt enough wood to keep the pipes from freezing, that would be "crazy skinflint".

Although, I am certain some people would look at my income and say I'm well into "crazy skinflint" territory by burning wood instead of propane. I guess they are entitled to the opinion.

Now of course there are the Sheeple, who worry about what's trendy, and apparently have no independent thoughts of their own, and of course they consider me eccentric. To these Sheeple I offer the Ben Franklin quote below:
"As to the abuses I meet with, I number them among my honors. One cannot behave so as to obtain the esteem of the wise and the good without drawing on oneself at the same time the envy and malice of the foolish and wicked, and the latter is testimony of the former. The best men have always had their share of this treatment, and the more of it in proportion to their different and greater degree of merit. A man, therefore, has some reason to be ashamed of himself when he meets with none of it."

Benjamin Franklin, 1767

Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I think people are cheap that stack every penny they get their hands on in the bank and never learning to live a little.
I'm very frugal, but, at the same time, would never consider amassing money in the bank for a rainy day, because I might be out tomorrow, on a rainy day, on some rain-slicked road, and get broad-sided by a cheapwad who was forever procrastinating about spending the money to keep his car properly maintained, or waiting for the next big sale on brake pads or headlamps.

My frugality revolves around living a quality life and making sure my death is a happy one, meaning, never spending a dime on something I can't take with me when I die.

Travel, concerts, live theatre, movies, etc. If the day comes when I can take a car with me to the next world, then my priorities may shift in that direction.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I don't mind, I'm frugal but not over zealous about it. If you mean dumpster diving and street/"freegan" living though, no. I'm not a supporter and find it gross. Especially when done by people with the means to live better but who choose to live like bums, taking things from those who have no choice but to scavenge. I'm serious, I think some people who wander to far from the norm just have mental issues and try to cover it up with "lifestyle".

Old 05-05-2010, 01:10 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover
…get broad-sided by a cheapwad who was forever procrastinating about spending the money to keep his car properly maintained, or waiting for the next big sale on brake pads or headlamps.
You’re misrepresenting frugal people; they’re responsible with most everything not just money. I only needed 2 tires last year but after weighing the situation I bought 4. I bought a new car battery before last winter arrived.

I almost always wait for sales; especially car parts because replacing cheaply now is smarter than replacing expensively later! Lastly, the sooner I replace car parts the odds are good that I’ll get my money’s worth by using them longer—I rarely replace the same parts twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living