Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:07 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times

Advertisements

We booked a room for nephew's wedding weekend using the wedding "group rate code" the invitation provided. We did this early in March to assure we'd be in the same hotel with other family members. Wedding is in 21 days from today.
Out of curiosity, I checked tonight to see if the hotel was sold out --- and shockingly found today's room rate to be $64 cheaper per night than our "special" wedding group rate.
Of course, I immediately booked at lower rate and cancelled the earlier reservation since we were within the 14 day no penalty cancellation window. I've now learned my lesson: keep checking on rates until locked-in date!
The "Honors Club" rep for the hotel chain told me that by changing from the wedding group rate, I could lose the advantages of the group rate IF any, like free breakfast and/or parking. Thing is, these are always included and complimentary to all customers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:41 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
It's really worth it to research and seek-out the best websites and the deals they offer, you can save a lot of money. I am plugged-in to a bunch of different websites and get some really great deals on the budget motels I occasionally stay at.

The hotel\motel chains have their own websites, special deals for "members" and discount-codes.....but from what I have seen, they do not save you as much as sites like Hotwire or Cheaptickets.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 AM

701 posts, read 693,405 times
I always go to the Hotel website. To me they will give you a better deal and you can cancel up until noon the day you will arrive. I have been on website like hotels.com and you can not use a senior discount and you are locked in. What happens if you change your plans the day before you leave?

Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Often the clerks on the desk will be aware of unusual discounts, so unless you are already locked to a rate and there is a penalty, asking at check-in can result in a pleasant surprise. Being a late riser and scheduled for an early medical procedure, I booked a hotel near the hospital online, then found at the desk that the hospital had made an agreement for special rates for patients. Kewl.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
We booked a room for nephew's wedding weekend using the wedding "group rate code" the invitation provided. We did this early in March to assure we'd be in the same hotel with other family members. Wedding is in 21 days from today.
Out of curiosity, I checked tonight to see if the hotel was sold out --- and shockingly found today's room rate to be $64 cheaper per night than our "special" wedding group rate.

Group rates are SELDOM the cheapest rates available at the property. The advantage of group rates is that the wedding party can block off a number of rooms at the property to ensure that there are sufficient rooms for the wedding guests.

Personally, I generally do NOT stay at the "group" hotel whether it is for a wedding, a business convention, or the like. Generally you can get a much better rate at another property. For example, the hotel sponsoring a NCAA conference tournament offers $64 nightly rates during the tournament while Harrah's is offering a $29 nightly rate.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:17 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Same with car rentals. Most of them don't require you to even enter a credit card number to get a quote and reserve a car. I looked through all the decent rental companies (Avis, National, Hetrz, Enterprise, etc.) and booked a car for $650 for 10 days. It was the best deal I could find. Well, just on a random whim a week or two later, I looked for rates through Delta.com and BAM! There was a quote from Hertz for $350 for the same darn car. Plus I got a few thousand Delta points because I booked through their portal.

I cancelled the other reservation and saved $300. Now I always book early and just keep checking.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:36 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Prices change daily. In May, my son decided to go to DC for the weekend. He had less than a week to put that together. He struggled to find a place to stay which he could afford. At the last minute, a decent chain steeply discounted prices. He was thrilled! He paid $100 for a room which goes for about $400 with no planning. He said the mattress was great and that they had nice soap.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:20 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Group rates are SELDOM the cheapest rates available at the property.
This also applies to air travel. It can be a hassle, but it usually works out better to do multiple bookings of several people vs one large group booking.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:40 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Same with car rentals. Most of them don't require you to even enter a credit card number to get a quote and reserve a car. I looked through all the decent rental companies (Avis, National, Hetrz, Enterprise, etc.) and booked a car for $650 for 10 days. It was the best deal I could find. Well, just on a random whim a week or two later, I looked for rates through Delta.com and BAM! There was a quote from Hertz for $350 for the same darn car. Plus I got a few thousand Delta points because I booked through their portal.

I cancelled the other reservation and saved $300. Now I always book early and just keep checking.
True! Always book cars ahead of time. Once we landed at LAX and could not get the shuttle to the car rental company we had booked. Finally we just went to another company. The price was triple and no negotiating because it was jam packed with people! And we're stranded far from the other company, it was a mess. Never again. Learned our lesson.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:26 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Disclaimer: I work at a hotel.

Rates are set in advance for expected availability.
Last or later deals can be had, if events deem the dates aren't going to be sold out. Conventions get cancelled, events get cancelled, weather changes, etc. Just as much as new events get scheduled, and inventory gets low, prices go up.

As a poster noted, the group rate is for GUARANTEED room availability for that group. You may pay a little more, but if you get there late, and the hotel has overbooked, you are still GUARANTEED your room under the group block.

You think it's great that you got a deal, but wouldn't have been surprised if that night/nights there was a convention in town and your rate was the cheapest.

It's all about filling rooms, forecasting, events scheduled and actual availability.

Same same for airlines and car rentals.

Last night we were close to booked, rates were higher as it was an event in town, so NO DEALS were offered as I sold out all rooms well before my shift ended. Every last room in all 5 of our chain was booked and sold last night, not a room to be had at the inn. Have your baby in the stable.
The group rate offered to a certain group ended up being 26%less than my cheapest room.
So sometimes you get lucky.

OP if you arrive late, and hotel is overbooked, you may be "bumped", had you stuck with the wedding group rate, your room was blocked and GUARANTEED. Otherwise you may be asked to leave with no room, and NO we will not 'call around' for you to find you a room.

Sometimes yous takes yer chances.

PS: Friday and Saturday nights are always more expensive than Sunday through Thursday. More rooms are sold out Fri and Saturday nights. If you can get a room for Thursday night, too, then ask if they'll lock in the Thursday night rate for all your nights if they include Fri and sat night s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living