U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 AM

479 posts, read 891,333 times

Advertisements

About 6 years ago, I planted a catalpa tree in the back yard. It is a very late bloomer, but eventually it comes. In fact, the first spring, it was so late that I was reaching down to cut it off when I noticed the first little green leaf.

Anyway, the problem with this tree is that it grows all summer but the next spring the branches that grow maybe six to seven feet tall die off, and the tree starts anew from the bottom. There must be something I'm doing wrong because they normally grow to be huge trees, and don't start from scratch every year.

Any ideas on what I could do? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM

11,025 posts, read 12,547,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
About 6 years ago, I planted a catalpa tree in the back yard. It is a very late bloomer, but eventually it comes. In fact, the first spring, it was so late that I was reaching down to cut it off when I noticed the first little green leaf.

Anyway, the problem with this tree is that it grows all summer but the next spring the branches that grow maybe six to seven feet tall die off, and the tree starts anew from the bottom. There must be something I'm doing wrong because they normally grow to be huge trees, and don't start from scratch every year.

I have no clue, but I've noticed that in our neighborhood, several of them appear to be dead with only a few leaves coming in down low. Others look perfectly fine and are currently putting out the white flowers. This is in Denver, and I'd think that maybe they weren't made for our winters where it gets down to zero (or some winters even below zero), but there are many old, very tall Catalpas growing in old neighborhoods where they have survived temps well below zero over many years. We live in a newer neighborhood and the trees that haven't come back this Spring were planted 5 years ago with no problems in previous years. The only unusual thing I noticed was that the ones that didn't come back had smaller than normal leaves last Summer. Maybe some are diseased?

Old 06-10-2010, 02:34 PM

20,443 posts, read 13,122,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post

First where are you located. This sounds like an early frost damage issue.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM

479 posts, read 891,333 times
We are in central South Dakota, so I guess if they aren't made for cold winters, I could see a problem. Funny thing is, there are catalpas all over my neighborhood that have been there for years. Perhaps they need to be well developed before they can handle cold winters?
And thanks for your responses.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 PM

22 posts, read 64,157 times
You can try to ad fertilizer to it. Hopefully your tree will grow quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden