U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,970 times

Advertisements

We have tarantula hawks in AZ, but I'm not sure if they are found in NC. They can live anywhere tarantulas are found and while their sting is painful, they aren't usually agressive. I still run at the sight of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:27 PM

22 posts, read 89,773 times
I could be any kind of bug since it was dark, or were you able to get a good look at it? BTW, you were probably by a nest and it felt threatened.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 PM

241 posts, read 805,857 times
Wow, thanks for all the comments!

The first day we were chased, we were close to our house and the second time we were over a mile from our house. It was chasing both of us and the dog... but really, I think it was mostly after my blood

It's the same route we take everyday so it was really strange. The only thing I can think is that I was wearing perfume these last two times and on one website, it said that certain soaps and perfumes can cause a reaction to hornets and wasps to ATTACK. A comforting thought

It was dusk both times.

I've seen those brown wasps before. They were everywhere inside our house when they were building it. They did not chase or attack at all... they were mostly wandering around and ignored us.

The thing that landed on me had a wider body than the brown wasp and it was all black. When it was landed, wings spread out, it was a little bigger than a silver dollar. The hornet is a likely character, but I've also seen pictures of the great black wasp that looks sort of like what got me.

I LOVE The badminton racket idea. BUT, I read that if they are close to the hive and get hurt, they can call their buddies. "Get those two with the big yellow dog!".

I wasn't going to walk today because I was freaked out, but maybe... if I wear long sleeves, long pants, goggles, a hat and carry a badminton racket, I'll give it a shot

I still cannot get over how those things hunted us down! Running uphill, middle of the street for 4 blocks, screaming, in a zig-zag pattern in 80 degrees/high humidity... must have looked hilarious.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM

it sort of looked like this (great black wasp):

or this (black hornet):

I guess just let it be a warning to all... RUN!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM

591 posts, read 1,646,737 times
I've decided mine was a hornet that chased me. I got the courage and went to the same area of my yard where I thought it was yesterday and sure enough I heard this loud buzzing (the nest I think) and then that darn thing came out and chased me again. If anything I am sure giving my neighbors some summer giggles watching me run all over the yard like a crazy woman

Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,447,401 times
I call those things "bugs".

Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 PM

I've seen "bugs" before, we used to kill Jerusalem Crickets all the time while in California (size of mice, squish like peanut butter)... but these were like little fighter pilots that would not give up.

There's "ewww!" and then there's "run for your life!"

hehe.

kwalk... I'm sure your neighbors are enjoying the show Who wouldn't be running from an angry flying venom-filled needle ? You should give them the gift of a large bottle of benadryl capsules and spray and a epinephrine shot, just in case they need it

If you are highly allergic to bee stings (I'm in the middle of the road) this stuff can be scary!!

And yes... just plain gross.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 PM

11,352 posts, read 11,085,575 times
Not much scares me, I was a mobile home owner for 30 yrs., had to get underneath periodically, (think damp, dark and big spiders) but those photos are creepy! I'd be running, too!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 AM

591 posts, read 1,646,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
I've seen "bugs" before, we used to kill Jerusalem Crickets all the time while in California (size of mice, squish like peanut butter)... but these were like little fighter pilots that would not give up.
Perfect description - they are "little fighter pilots". I had one chase me again this morning while I was out in my yard gardening. I'm thinking I'll soon need one of those bee keeper suits in order to go outside! That will give my neighbors something to laugh about!

I'm from California too, maybe they just chase us California transplants?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
Perfect description - they are "little fighter pilots". I had one chase me again this morning while I was out in my yard gardening. I'm thinking I'll soon need one of those bee keeper suits in order to go outside! That will give my neighbors something to laugh about!

I'm from California too, maybe they just chase us California transplants?
I was thinking the bee keeper get-ups, too! hehehe! I bet if we buy two, we'll get a discount. I don't mind being the summer entertainment for our neighbors.

Living in LA, all we really worried about was earthquakes and gang violence... but really, these bugs are so much worse! hehe. The least these guys could do is wear a blue or red bandanna so I know where they are from & who they represent... just sayin'.

Electrified fly swatter... I'm getting one. (The customer reviews are FUNNY)
Amazon.com: Charcoal Companion Amazing Bug Zapper: Home & Garden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden