U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 06:54 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,087,640 times

Advertisements

I would agree with TKramar that it's probably a horse fly; but silver dollar size? They are still out in the evening and if it was a horse fly, it wasn't chasing you, it wasn't through drinking when you hit it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,826,196 times
Were you stung or bit? There is a difference..

A horsefly will (painfully) bite a nice round plug out of you with its mouth, but it doesn't have a sting (no venom like a wasp or bee).

Anyway, get yourself a pair of these "anti-aircraft" defense platforms

Electronic Fly Swatter

Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM

241 posts, read 805,718 times
I think I was stung... because it's now a few days later and the area where I was stung on my leg is red, raised, on fire and itching like crazy!!!

I stand by the great black wasp or black hornet... whatever it was, it was BIG and very very angry

I'm totally getting an electronic fly swatter

Old 06-15-2010, 10:13 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,115,274 times
We get black flies. They are not as big as you describe, but a bite is circular with a center bite and raised and itches like the devil.

Best cure is drawing slave/icthymal -- it is a black goo and you get it at the pharmacy; dab it on and cover well with large bandaids and make sure you don't get it on clothes. I currently have one of these charming bites and 2 days of icthymal got the itch out and flattened the bite. it will take weeks to entirely go away.

FWIW, people with O type blood and all + types of blood are more prone to insect stings -- it has to do with the odor of your sweat attracting the bugs.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,033,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
Odd question... (this is probably in the wrong place)

We walk nightly, and the past two nights we've been chased by this big, black flying wasp/beetle thing.

The first encounter... there was running, screaming then laughing... because seeing two grown people tripping over their dog while trying to run away from a bug is sort of hilarious...

But, this evening... It landed on my leg and bit or stung me . It was actually bleeding and it realllllly hurt! So, I swatted at it, then it angrily chased us down a neighborhood street for about... oh.... 3 or 4 blocks. "Run in a zig-zag pattern!!" my husband yelled to me. We are so lucky we didn't get hit by a car because we were all over the place.

It was embarrassing, but dang it... that bite HURT.

I read that some wasps will hunt you and sting you about 10 times... VIOLENTLY. Ugh. After this guy stung me, he was trying to get back to the same place he stung me the first time.

It was large, a little larger than a silver dollar, and I think it had a 2-section body that was wider than a wasp and it was solid black. It looked like a fat great black wasp... I think.

I didn't think these things could be so aggressive. Two of them two days in a row?! Should I carry a can of raid with me? Bathe in "off"? Anyone have any suggestions?

Is this what bit you? I've seen them larger then a silver dollar.

Black Horse Fly

busta

Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Is this what bit you? I've seen them larger then a silver dollar.

Black Horse Fly

busta
This was what I thought as well.

Here's another picture with a scale: http://images.whatsthatbug.com/wp-co...ly_ontario.jpg

Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 PM

241 posts, read 805,718 times
Thanks so much for the pictures

okay it could have been a horse fly? Whatever landed on me was big and entire black. BUT... do those things CHASE you? Because we were chased for blocks.

What's so strange is we've walked the same route at the same time of day for months and then two days in a row in two different places, this thing dive bombed, chased and attacked me. My only thought is new soap or perfume or a nest it was protecting?

In any case... I'm not coming outside until the first freeze lol.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:39 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,964,466 times
If it's a horsefly, it's seeking your blood!! Run away!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the pictures

okay it could have been a horse fly? Whatever landed on me was big and entire black. BUT... do those things CHASE you? Because we were chased for blocks.

What's so strange is we've walked the same route at the same time of day for months and then two days in a row in two different places, this thing dive bombed, chased and attacked me. My only thought is new soap or perfume or a nest it was protecting?

In any case... I'm not coming outside until the first freeze lol.
I went to Marion, MA as a boy with my family. I remember that he water was freezing even in the summer and there were giant, green horseflies that would chase you and it hurt like hell to get bitten. I couldn't relax the whole time I was there.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 AM

43,858 posts, read 43,559,234 times
Quote:
I think I was stung... because it's now a few days later and the area where I was stung on my leg is red, raised, on fire and itching like crazy!!!

I stand by the great black wasp or black hornet... whatever it was, it was BIG and very very angry

I'm totally getting an electronic fly swatter
Did it make a really loud buzzing/clicking sound? Years ago, I had something bite me on the back of the neck. It was big and black too. It took a month for the bite to heal and stop itching. Never knew what it was....but I sure remember the sound it made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden