Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,712 times

Advertisements

i feel you man i don't like my dragonflies either but all i can find on the net is people complaining about the people who don't want them around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I can understand how the OP feels. It isnt my way but her feelings are valid.

i did not seem to have many dragon flies in the last few years so I was so excited when they appeared to be out in force this year. I have been delighted with them !
I have lots of bugs in my yard and a few black snakes. The snakes scare me to death when I come up on them but we coexist....<s>
And, I posted earlier, I have an infestation of grasshoppers this year. I thought I had nipped it in the bud earlier in the year with some sevin dust but, I guess not. I jhave tons of bees and wasps but not many birds for some reason. We do have some cats in the neighborhood.

Good luck with your problem.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,693 times
I have noticed there are more of them here this year,too (eastern KS), but I am wondering if they also eat squash bugs? Haven't seen many of them yet (knock on wood!!)! Wish they'd do a better job on the dang 'skeeters to LOVE to eat me alive when I water my plants!!

To the OP, can you try to get some pictures of them? I am wondering if they are a different variety, never seen any the size of hummingbirds.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:53 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Dragonflies always creeped me out too, I was under the impression that they sting and plus they're very large. There's a lot of them this year for some reason.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:33 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
Dragonfly nymphs are regularly raised and sold for skeeter control around wetlands and ponds. Maybe the Op can catch them and sell them to neighborhoods that have a skeeter problem; a kind of dragonfly relocation project.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
The dragonflies don't bother me... spiders leave me alone but they are in "my" space... the dragonflies also leave me alone... the only thing that attack me are the gnats and the wasps...

Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times
I am having a hard time relating to the OP because dragonflies are harmless - they swarm around me every time I step out the door - we have dozens swarning at any one time, but I do have some bug phobias myself, so I can sorta understand One I can't understand is my aunt who is simply terrified of butterfles - runs in panic, needs desensitization training from a therapist - but butterflies?? So, considering that, I guess I can understand the dragonfly phobia.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
I didn't know this thread was still going. Well, here's an update....they are still around and more than when I first posted. A few people said they will be gone in a few days but no such luck. We do spray the yard ourselves and have a pest control guy spray every couple months so don't know how much more we can do to get rid of their food source. I like the suggestions for the relocation plan, LOL but don't think that's going to happen. Some people are saying they can't understand but again I will say that I like to sit and walk outside w/o bugs flying around my head and sitting on me. Not sure people commenting are getting how many, how big or annoying they are. We also have a lot of grasshoppers this year as someone else said, so don't know what's up with that. Every year is different here.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
My turkeys find them tasty.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:32 PM

34 posts, read 112,970 times
Guess they will be gone by the first frost. I am not really crazy about flying insects. Dragonflies are pretty and low on my list of "scary bugs" --- it's Cicada's that really freak me out - just typing the word makes the hair on my arms stand on end. yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden