Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:39 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times

Advertisements

I love bamboo for lots of reasons. Planted 10-12 "alphonse kerr" type 5 years ago and only one survived. It's not very big, even now. (Southern NC)
Yes, there are clumping and running types. I had to convice my HOA it wouldn't spread and ruin my neighbors' lawns!
I'd love some timber bamboo to use for lumber. Anybody have some to plant???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 05:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Fifty plus years ago, when Disneyland was being built, one of my parents' friends had a job as a landscaper. Apparently he was in charge of the bamboo which was being planted through out the Jungle Cruise ride to make it look more jungle-y. And this very nice man asked my parents if they wanted some of the "extras".

They were just getting the garden of their home started and didn't have much money and free bamboo sounded just sort of fabulous.

So I grew up in a home that had genuine Disneyland Jungle Cruise bamboo in the backyard.

It didn't seem so fabulous to have genuine Disneyland Jungle Cruise bamboo in the backyard on all those hot summer afternoons when we were out there trying to figure out how to kill it because our backyard was getting smaller and smaller and smaller.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:04 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
I have about 8 different bamboos growing, I think they are a unique and fun plant to have on our property, what do you all think?
I like Bamboo, but they can be rather noisy.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
I have about 8 different bamboos growing, I think they are a unique and fun plant to have on our property, what do you all think?
What kinds are they???

Old 06-13-2010, 07:30 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
I love bamboo!! I love the way the wind rustles through it, how it provides a wind block and the way light shines through it. If you're afraid of it becoming invasive, put it in large pots, that way you can enjoy it but keep in under control. Me? I let mine go in certain areas. Anything that tries to run is a bonus.... I cut it free and move it or pot it up and put the pots in areas where I don't want it running wild.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I love bamboo for lots of reasons. Planted 10-12 "alphonse kerr" type 5 years ago and only one survived. It's not very big, even now. (Southern NC)
Yes, there are clumping and running types. I had to convice my HOA it wouldn't spread and ruin my neighbors' lawns!
I'd love some timber bamboo to use for lumber. Anybody have some to plant???
Oh gosh, I WISH I had some of the timber bamboo to plant. If I could get that stuff to grow here in the PNW, I'd use it EVERYTHING..LOL I would never have enough to grow around. I've got the stuff that only gets 1" diameter and I never have enough to go around for my projects.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:45 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,961 times
Can't stand the bamboo. It was really getting out of control in my back yard and I was wasting a lot of time an effort digging it up and yanking the long roots out.

Then I just started grabbing it and whacked the stalks about 6 inches underground with a super sharp machete looking thing that slices through grass, soil and stalk, no digging. It's all but disappeared and the occassional new sprout the lawnmower gets.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh gosh, I WISH I had some of the timber bamboo to plant. If I could get that stuff to grow here in the PNW, I'd use it EVERYTHING..LOL I would never have enough to grow around. I've got the stuff that only gets 1" diameter and I never have enough to go around for my projects.
Aw. Rats. Thanks for the reply.

If anyone else does have some, I'm all ears. I've seen some really sturdy stuff, about 4" diameter, grow in Southern Virginia, (I made rainsticks out of it, with the owner's permission) so I'm wondering where the timber variety grows. Guess I'll be doing a search for that.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:03 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Loved it when I was a kid. Then I had to eradicate some (a lot actually) that was coming into my parents' house from two sides. Took three years working mostly just in Spring. Had to outflank it and rip up the roots with a pick axe. My love for it waned.

Recently I discovered the difference between clumping vs running bamboo. I bought two types but am keeping them in pots. I may add a clumping type to my future Japanese garden, but not without a strong barrier in place. I cannot fight that battle again no matter how unlikely it is with clumping.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post

How come you have problems getting it to grow well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden