Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 08:57 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,028,737 times

Advertisements

We had this "no man's" side of the house where nothing but weeds grew.

So we decided to make it into an outdoor dining experience. The space is about 15 feet square, we built a small deck (7' square), and planted 10 azaleas on two sides.

I have always admired my neighbours hydrandeas, so we planted 4 of them on the house side. Having never had hydrangeas before, I had no idea what to expect. They adapted quite well to the area the first year and actually bloomed!
This spring, they are HUGE, absolutely gorgeous, but Huge! The blooms are so heavy they are flopping on the small deck.

They are only 2 years old!

So now, I am looking at my neighbours established hydrangeas and realized that they get really big!

Can I keep them cut back so that they still bloom but don't take over our small breakfast deck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 05:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
there are different kinds of hydrangeas and pruning depends on which kind you have. some bloom on new growth and some bloom on old growth. Look up hydrangeas on google and you will see the different kinds.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,739,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
there are different kinds of hydrangeas and pruning depends on which kind you have. some bloom on new growth and some bloom on old growth. Look up hydrangeas on google and you will see the different kinds.
I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. We moved into our house a few years ago and there were hydrangeas already planted on the side of the house. We never new what to do with them. So, every year, during the early spring we have cut them back almost to the ground. Every summer they grow and bloom beautifully.
Recently I was talking to a friend/neighbor of mine, and she kept insisting that if I cut them back they wouldn't bloom. She kept insisting that they only bloom on old growth. I kept telling her that they did, in fact, bloom and that we did cut them back every year. Thanks for answering this question, and helping me settle an arguement with a good friend.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. We moved into our house a few years ago and there were hydrangeas already planted on the side of the house. We never new what to do with them. So, every year, during the early spring we have cut them back almost to the ground. Every summer they grow and bloom beautifully.
Recently I was talking to a friend/neighbor of mine, and she kept insisting that if I cut them back they wouldn't bloom. She kept insisting that they only bloom on old growth. I kept telling her that they did, in fact, bloom and that we did cut them back every year. Thanks for answering this question, and helping me settle an arguement with a good friend.
Well let's just put it this way, I am happy for you, but we did the same the first year (we too have been in our home about 2 years) and last year we got almost no blooms. i had read in the gardening section of our paper, not to prune them, didn't last year, they are gorgeous this year..

Nita

Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM

147 posts, read 644,026 times
Pee Gee Hydrangeas bloom on new growth. Regular Hydrangeas bloom on old growth. Oak Leaf and Climbers I don't know about.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,754,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well let's just put it this way, I am happy for you, but we did the same the first year (we too have been in our home about 2 years) and last year we got almost no blooms. i had read in the gardening section of our paper, not to prune them, didn't last year, they are gorgeous this year..

Nita

As No Kudzu said there are different hydrangeas, each pruned differently, so the comparison and the advice for "all" hydrangeas is not valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

A very good site for information that will help ID the type of Hydrangea (and then how and when to prune) is here:

Hydrangea Identification

On the various pages you can find pictures and pruning methods as well as general care for all types of Hydrangeas. I found it after trying to decide what to do with my fabulous Endless Summer which had so many blooms open while I was away over a week with a family emergency. Unfortunately the blooms were so big and there was probably some heat wilt, so half of the stems are now bent over to the ground. I've got to decide how brutal to be to salvage the plant and some blooms. Does anyone have some Endless Summer Hydrangea experience to share??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden