Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all who are helping me along. I really need it as I just got a letter from HOA that I "lack landscaping" Gimme a break!

Anyhoo,

I planted some spring bulbs because I really wanted color. Now the flowers are gone. I have heard that you should not cut spring bulb foilage since the plant is using the sun for energy... for the next growing season.

At what point can you clean out the foilage? My plants are turning brown, and look limp and beginning to wilt.

I would really like to clean up the yard but I don't want to harm the spring bulbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
At the point of brown and wilted it's definitely time to clip the bulb foliage. The spring leaves are no longer producing energy for the bulbs.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 PM

thanks so much. I wasn't sure if I had to look at the wilted things all summer long.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I always layer my plantings to hide the yellowing foliage of bulbs. That is, I plant my bulbs and then daylillies right over or very close to them. By the time the daylillies are full of foliage, this hides the ugly bulb foliage.

My rule is that if the bulb foliage easily pulls up from the ground, that is the time to yank it and put it in the compost pile. If you want to really get into gardening you can plant so many things together that you can not even see the spent foliage of bulbs.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
^^The HOA probably prohibits compost piles.

I do the same as no kudzu -- plant other stuff around the spring bulbs so the withering foliage isn't as noticeable. Although up until they do turn brown, the daffodil leaves are quite attractive in their own right.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the advice about planting arrangements. I planted these in the spring because I was desperate for color. But in the fall when I add more I will try to plant near larger plants to help hide the withering foliage.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times
I do the same as the other posters - often plant other perennials around tulip and daffodil bulbs to hide their foliage as it withers. Either that, or I plant or place potted annuals in front of them to hide them.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
A suggestion for you if you are in Michigan for a good bush which will have colorful stem/branches all year and nice leave is the red-twig dogwood. I first saw them up by Mackinac; the leaves are green with white edges and when the leaves drop, the twigs of the bush are red. I bought 2 and they look great ( took 2 years to establish really well). If yo trim them, they stay small. I saw them up to 6 feet.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 PM

^ I actually was quite interested in this bush. I found that they are "suckers" and can get quite big. I have heard it is not a good bush for foundation plantings. So I think I am going to put it along the very edge of my property and common property in front of a retention pond. I am thinking the color will look good against the tan reed grass that remain during the winter months along the pond.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I do the same as the other posters - often plant other perennials around tulip and daffodil bulbs to hide their foliage as it withers. Either that, or I plant or place potted annuals in front of them to hide them.
Potted annuals. That is a great idea. I thought about doing this but thought it was "faux pas" to use potted plants IN a flower bed. Now I have to think where I want to place these 2 potted plants because I really don't have room on my smallish front porch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden