U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM

799 posts, read 1,591,123 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of screening in our back deck. I have had the handyman install a 6" wide plant shelf all the way around about 3 1/3 ft high and plan to put up some plant hooks in the corners.

I have a basil plant right now but wanted to add some other herbs/plants. Prefer items that are lower maintenance.

I grow rosemary in the back yard--it grows like crazy!! But would like to have some smaller plants.

Was considering maybe a small fruit tree as well. Need plants that would do well in smaller containers. The back yard gets almost FULL sunlight but the roof will overhang the deck by almost 2 ft all the way around. So I hope that will considerably cut down on the strong direct sunlight.

I have tons of perennials growing in the yard and enjoy the colors and blooms. Not really a big annual person. I have an orchid in my master bath that has been growing well for me for 5+ yrs now. Loves the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Ferns, hosta, ivy,any shade loving plant you would use in the yard. What kind of floor? would it be damaged by dripping plants?

I don't know of any fruit tree which does not need lots of sun but a ficus would work if you bring it inside for the winter. Palms too.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:06 AM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
ferns and impatients maybe . fruit trees usually need full sun 6-8 hrs a day . some pothos for the hanging pots . pothos goes crazy and vines every where . also maybe some arrowheads in pots would do well .

Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 PM

We are putting down outdoor berber like carpet. It will get wet regardless because of the high winds in our area and the sideways rain that comes with it!

I have noticed little citrus trees for sale in some magazines that show them in sunrooms--It won't be full on direct sun light but it will still get a significant amount of sunshine because the backyard gets all but the first morning sun. I wanted to enjoy some plants without the swarming bees and other stinging insects that hang out around my other blooming plants!

The pothos sounds nice and ferns too!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:23 PM

what about aloe or other succulents?

Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,403,652 times
I have both Aloe and jade plants in our screenroom I would put them on the sides rather than the front where the sun is more reduced

I also have 6 Christmas Cactus and quite a few other succulents in there I keep joking that if I don't clear out some of the plants there won't be much room for people

We put a butterfly garden right in front of the of the screenroom and enjoy watching the butterflies & hummingbirds that come to visit while we are sitting in there

Old 06-18-2010, 01:52 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,239,867 times
It sounds like plants that can thrive in bright light or light shade would be your best bet. I haven't tried them but tuberous begonias might fit the bill.

Begonias. White Flower Farm Begonias - White Flower Farm
Planting, growing, and enjoying Tuberous Begonias - White Flower Farm

You can save them over winter like you would gladioli or dahlias; they aren't quite annuals.

If impatiens are too messy with dropped flowers you may want to give groups of coleus a try. They don't do much in the way of flowers but with all the striking leaf colors a pot of mixed coleus could be very decorative. In the fall you can take cuttings to keep growing indoors and replant them back outside next year.

I wish I had more ideas, since when I had a porch I never got around to keeping much beside my indoor plants and now my deck with a southern exposure and full sun 90% of the day has totally different needs!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:21 PM

69,256 posts, read 79,427,308 times
I would suggest succulents and ivy for starters. I don't think the fruit trees with produce without sun lignt..(direct sun) We have mostly succulents in our screened in porch..

of that and our booze bar, but we don't grow booze, just drink it!!

Nita

Old 06-20-2010, 04:58 AM

I need to find some smaller container plants. Maybe we have a garden center in our area with more variety --the Lowe's and Home Depot had such pitiful looking specimens the other day. Seems like all the labels of the other plants say they will get 2 ft wide and 1-2 feet high and space out 3 ft. Everything we have planted around her looks like it is on steroids!

Even my hostas look like GIANTS, my lily stalks are almost 5 ft tall...

I have several butterfly bushes in the yard! Several bird feeders but can't keep the hummingbirds to stick around. I have put the feeder out--fresh "water", cleaned...changed water but they don't like it here. Finches, cardinals, brown headed nuthatches, morning doves, titmouse, and chickadees attack my feeders morning and evening! It is like watching the airplanes at the airport come in for a landing off my neighbors roof's. They aren't too happy with the new feeder location though with the deck under construction

Thanks for all the ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or