U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 PM

490 posts, read 1,119,608 times
Default How can I cover a chain link fence?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Garden Forum, looking for ideas on some type of fast growing vine that could cover a chain link fence. There is very little sun in the area so it needs to grow with limited or no sun at all. I believe the area is well drained.

Thank you in advanced for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:52 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,753,315 times
Hi. I covered a shady chain link fence with English Ivy once and it worked terrifically, except it started climbing up my neighbor's trees, which they did not mind, but it will kill the tree.

In my present home, I have it covering a pergola in my backyard and it is trimmed (weed-eater) several times a month and also cut back once a year and seems to be working just fine. No regrets.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 PM

25,209 posts, read 16,421,672 times
I was thinking english ivy too. don't spend money for it tho. Just advertise you need some and are willing to dig it yourself. you should have plenty of takers. 1st year it sleeps, 2nd creeps, 3rd it leaps. The ivy itself doesn't kill trees but shades out too much of trees and must be watched and cut before it gets too high for you and neighbor to handle. it can get very thick and in the south, especially Atlanta some folks use it for massive ground covers under huge magnolias where nothing else will grow .

honey suckle would work too but it can become invasive too. confderate jasmine looks nice drapping over a fence too.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 AM

20,114 posts, read 12,555,534 times
Oh no you didn't. Please stay away from english ivy unless you have lots of time to keep it in check. It will eventually rip the fence apart. I recommend star/ confederate jasmine instead.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:15 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,753,315 times
Honeysuckle and Jasmine sound great, but one thing I learned is to watch out for the bees!
Also, be careful where you plant anything creeping, as it could climb the side of your house (if you don't keep it back) and ruin siding and/or roofing. Oh, and then there are the ANTS!!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:34 PM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
I would mix vines and evergreen shrubs. The shrubs will take a couple years to come in but they make less mess than vines. What type of climate does it have to grow in?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,727,869 times
what about a roll of "bamboo" fencing you can find at the home depot then plant what you want in front of it.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM

490 posts, read 1,119,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I would mix vines and evergreen shrubs. The shrubs will take a couple years to come in but they make less mess than vines. What type of climate does it have to grow in?
Sorry, I forgot to mention where I am. I live in CT so we have hot humid summers and cold, snowy winters. The area I need to cover gets very little sun.

Thank you all who have replied. If any one else has an input, I love to know. I will be attempting to plant something over the next two weekends.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:22 AM

25,209 posts, read 16,421,672 times
even that far north is it a good idea to plant something this late? You will really have to keep it watered. you will have better luck with fall planting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden