Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 11:11 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,112,207 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have an older Needle palm I have had for 3 years... very slow growing (normal) and small.

When @ my relatives in South Carolina I went in Lowes and they had the Needle palms for sale (I was very happy!) Our Lowes here in NE TN dont have them, despite them being well rated into our USDA zone (7a/6b). They had them reduced to $39.99 down from $60.00, which is a good deal from the ones I had priced on the internet. This one is about 3.5- 4 ft ft tall.

Got the palm planted and not wanting to make a mistake like I have with other trees in the past and wondering if I should put a little fertilizer (Miracle Gro) on it now? I dont remember how I did it on my last one. I THINK I fertilized it after I planted it.

My other one died out some last winter (despite our coldest reading being 8° and this is supposed to be able to withstand -20° (which we have not even been nowhere near in over 25 years). Maybe it was where it was its first cold winter... I should have given it some protection.

ALSO, I have a Sabal Birmingham palm I have had for about 6 years... it has barely and I mean barely grown... it never dies out in the winter... it just never (or extremely slowly grows). I am wondering if perhaps I have it planted too deeply or what? At this rate, I will be dead before its 3 ft tall. I have fertilized it, not much change... it gets partial sun/partial shade, etc. If anyone has any secrets on these, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,811,618 times
I know nothing about palms but I do know it is not a good idea to fertilize a newly planted plant in the heat of the summer. That puts too much stress on the plant. UNLESS you use a root stimulator fertilizer, I would just concentrate on getting it established and keep it alive and then early fall a bit of fertilizer but not too close to cold winter.

I think the best time to fertilize a newly planted plant is early spring. Established plants can pretty much be fertilized on a regular schedule. Your extension office should be able to help you or google palms. good luck.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM

13,621 posts, read 20,671,995 times
Hey Tennessee- I second no kudzus advice on fertilizing and new plantings. I might even go further and refrain from any fertilizing until Spring.

As for the Sabal Birmingham, all Sabals are very slow growers. I would fertilize that and other established palms now and no later so that they do not grow and stress during the Winter. In our Zones, you should apply it in the Spring after the last frost date and then once more in early July- Now.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,112,207 times
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks Moth! Took your advice and purchased the book advice you PM'ed me... hope it arrives soon!

Its been so dry here lately and highs in the 97°-102° range over the past 4 days, so I have just been watering it well about every other day. Maybe the book will tell me different? lol. I will fertilize the Sabal Birmingham and pray it will grow an inch this year... I mean 6 years and very little movement, but at least its living. lol. Rain and storms finally in the forecast starting tomorrow with lower temps only in the upper 80s, so maybe some relief from this dry and hot spell.

Thanks again!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:26 AM

13,621 posts, read 20,671,995 times
No problem. The weather has been the same here. The bright side of the Sabal Birmingham is that it is very cold hardy. And easy on the eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden