Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 AM

433 posts, read 1,142,904 times

Advertisements

A warning that the coffee is hot on a fast food chain cup is idiotic. It should be common sense that the coffee is hot. It shouldn't have to be there but is put there to protect a company from lawsuits. While I am sorry for what coffee lady went through I do think she had some responsibility in the accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Not everyone uses what brain power they have. I worked at a gynecologist office once. A woman came if with a troubling discharge. The Doctor gave her a percription for suppositories. She came back later, no improvement. No, she didn't use the suppositories.

Her reason was that they were too big to swallow.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM

55 posts, read 93,664 times
Default The new 'me' generation?

So, it seems that the concept of 'walking in another man's shoes' has left the building.

I would suggest that all of you might spend some time thinking about a world without compassion.

Compassion only for one's self is a very dark and lonely place.

Denying this does not make it any less true.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Not EVERY thread or post has to be weighed with our conscience before we post - sometimes it's just for a laugh - sheeesh lighten UP already

What a dreary world you must live in, where everything is so goshdarned SERIOUS

Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 AM

55 posts, read 93,664 times
There are no jokes.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
maybe a warning should be posted here:

"Warning. Some people do not understand humor or jokes. Keep your posts dry and uninteresting."

Old 07-26-2010, 10:52 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
Remember the woman that burned herself with hot coffee from McDonalds while driving and sued the company and won!!! That is why we have to have warnings on things that just need common sense.
I cringe every time I hear someone mention this story, as they undoubtedly don't know the facts (which I learned in a law class in college). First, she wasn't driving:

After receiving the order [for coffee], the grandson pulled his car forward and stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. (Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled into her lap.

The sweatpants Liebeck was wearing absorbed the coffee and held it next to her skin. A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case

The coffee was between 180 and 190 degrees. That's insane and negligent. The plaintiff only sought medical bills, not millions.

EDIT:

I just saw that someone else posted some of the facts about this case. Sorry for reposting that, but I really find myself thinking that people are very ignorant when they mention this case as an example of other people's stupidity.

And, yes, the green end goes up.

Last edited by Art123; 07-26-2010 at 11:04 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 PM

"Dig hole" shouldn't be the first step. The first step should be:

1. Find a location in your garden that fits the sun/shade/water requirements for this plant.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I cringe every time I hear someone mention this story, as they undoubtedly don't know the facts (which I learned in a law class in college). First, she wasn't driving:

After receiving the order [for coffee], the grandson pulled his car forward and stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. (Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled into her lap.

The sweatpants Liebeck was wearing absorbed the coffee and held it next to her skin. A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case

The coffee was between 180 and 190 degrees. That's insane and negligent. The plaintiff only sought medical bills, not millions.

EDIT:

I just saw that someone else posted some of the facts about this case. Sorry for reposting that, but I really find myself thinking that people are very ignorant when they mention this case as an example of other people's stupidity.

And, yes, the green end goes up.
Well to be fair - people post the 'facts' then forget to mention that she was found to have been partially to blame which is why the judgement was reduced at the appeal.
In that case the stupidity in labelling was that the label on the coffee said "warning - may be hot" not "warning - may be SCALDING" (or similar)

and you're right regarding the "where" to dig the hole LOL

Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
"Dig hole" shouldn't be the first step. The first step should be:

1. Find a location in your garden that fits the sun/shade/water requirements for this plant.
My proposal for step #2:

2. Realize that this little plant will grow, probably much larger than this tag says it will. Is there enough room in this spot for this plant to grow? Or do you plan on moving it in five years when it has outgrown this spot. Or do you plan on pruning it to within an inch of it's life every year?

3. Dig hole as deep as the root ball, no deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden