Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times

Advertisements

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/shewhoebays/GARDEN/TOO_MUCH_GREEN.jpg (broken link)

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/shewhoebays/GARDEN/June_20_2007.jpg (broken link)

Besides needing some 'controlling', I need more color...but since we're still in drought phase II conditions down here, I am severely limited as to what I can add to this garden - what I've got here is durable, but kinda boring.

Ideas? Need some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 02:53 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ne_20_2007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...MUCH_GREEN.jpg

And yes - there are lots of flowering plants in there, but all over-whelmed by the GREEN!

Last edited by 33458; 06-20-2007 at 03:08 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Try Golden Spirea or Golden Boxwood both are yellowish and can handle drought, not knowing where "here" is it's kind of hard to suggest plants. What zone are you in? I'm in 7

Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 AM

I think we're zone 11...South Florida.

There in the muddle is ornamental grass, Hibiscusx3, Gardenia, Jasmine, Aloe, Four O'Clock, Fernage, Plumeria, Pentas, Bougainvillea, Oleander, Pineapple, Ti, Grape, Sweet Potato vine, Passionflower...thinking...and probably 4-5 different flowering things I've inherited from cuttings or gifts that I don't readily have a name for or have forgotten to mention.

shewhoebays/GARDEN - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I am still learning, but I've noticed that sweet potato vines seem to handle drought conditions well. I love the purple ones.
I am not crazy about succulents/cacti myself, but they are an obvious choice, too. Those little kalanchoes have brightly-colored blossoms.
A drought-tolerant plant I used to enjoy in Colorado that I've seen in north Florida is portulaca--it is very colorful indeed.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:55 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Default I see some color.......

I actually see some color in there........

I see the green, but I also see some burgundy, some lighter yellow-green, I think you just need to play those up.

I would add in some chartruese and some silver - this will play well against the red-burgundy and make it really pop.

If these plants are doing well in their location and are drought tolerant, I'd be cautious about yanking them up.

Try trimming and clearing out any weeds or strays and see what you've got. Then look to some of the silver and chartruese plants.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
HO HO HO HA HA HA. Your yard cracks me up.

I think you're right about it needing a little control. It also looks like there is too much of the same texture. You might need some careful editing to keep it from looking the same all the way across.

For example, along the bottom, you have the same straggly thing growing out onto the walkway. You might try removing sections of it and allow some other thing to show through. Wildness also looks more interesting if you have something well tended or carefully pruned in contrast.

You've allowed everything to grow up equally so that it swallows up potentially interesting forms and colors like those nice purple grasses in the background. Think of your garden as sculpture.

An all green garden can be incredibly interesting but you have to pay careful attention to form and contrast. Don't plant more, just edit carefully.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 AM

346 posts, read 1,778,780 times
May I join Ellie:>) More is not necessarily better. I had a similar problem and did some serious house cleaning with friends who adopted plants on the spot.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 PM

I'm back...

I'm torn between grooming, which is done every month and undone by one good rain (which is all we're getting - ONE good rain) and letting it go natural because it is after all a butterfly garden and not supposed to be formal...but there's casual, natural and then there's ACK!

I have ACK!

Yet the neighbors all love it! Crazy. I guess it looks so much better than the dead, brown lawn.

The sprawling, scraggly stuff is that climbing vine with the abundant little yellow flowers...all over Florida, but I can't find the name for it - another donation that started in one area to cover the stump...that stuff goes NUTS and is in need of serious modification. If you have a bare patch and live in the South, use this stuff...it needs NOTHING to survive and the butterflies dig it.
That is the real culprit for 'hiding' everything else - it doesn't strangle the other plants, actually serving well as a green mulch, but it covers e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.

I have a spike-leaved tropical plant (see the clump by the kitchen window by the wall on the left - more of that) planted along the sidewalk edge which has a beautiful maroon/green color, but it is taking sweet time to grow up...that will add height and privacy...

The multi-color Four O' Clocks simply have not received enough water and are dormant bulbs right now...

Also starting from cutting or small plants I have Florida coffee - it'll be a long time before that becomes noticable...that's next to the Hibiscus you can't really see in the 'big picture'.
Piper Nigrum, instead of climbing, wants to cover the ground...

The grape vine is starting to fruit...that will add something...

And when the trees grow up on either side, that will be the height I so desperately need to organize the space...

So this weekend I am going to cull back the crazy vine (sorry Mr. Snake) and see what that looks like.
I also have a now hidden erosion barrier of left-over baby Carrotwood trees that edge the sidewalk...EVIL, EVIL tree...those things were brought down by 2004 Hurricane season but we still have sprouting from the thousands of seeds they dumped. I cut that border short and sharp - only there to serve as a doggy fence of sorts and by harsh pruning not matured enough to make new Carrotwood.

There is a lot of pink and burgundy when the conditions are right...I am going to investigate what silver I might be able to introduce after the vine is tamed.
That Macho fern is another beast...but I am thankful that it thrives...my other ferns are very unhappy right now.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden