Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 AM

8 posts, read 25,560 times

Advertisements

Seriously. My husband and I bought a fixer upper on 1 acre a couple of months ago. We have done major interior renos and now he has asked me to 'do the front yard'. My budget is small right ($500)now but we are planning for major changes in Jan (new circle driveway), with a much bigger budget. I know I want the hedges gone. We are in Dallas, TX and the house faces North. I need something super hardy as I am really good at killing plants. The current flower beds are 3.5 feet deep in front of the windows and 1 foot deep between the porch and sidewalk. WDYT? What should I plant.. and can I plant it now or should I wait for fall?

(pic is from when we bought it, grass is green now, trees have leaves.
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs305.snc3/28839_429075880802_698930802_5964283_66208_n.jpg (broken link)

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Not much information to work with here. We only know you want the existing shrubbery gone and that you have $500.

Do you want low maintenance landscaping? Flower borders? Native xeriscaping? Something you can putter with or something that you'd sooner install and forget about?

Need more input.

(Flower beds generally require some owner maintenance.)

Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 AM

8 posts, read 25,560 times
So sorry. We have lived in 4 different houses over the last 15 years and the only thing I have been able to keep alive is canas and that was only because the faucet leaked. I don't know plants or what I plant. I just want something that will survive/thrive in Texas with little help from me. My husband suggested mint under the windows because it is green and short. He said it grew wild at his house as a kid with no help. I have no ideas really which is why we have lived here for 3 months and it is still as ugly as the day we moved in. I don't know where to start.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorable1 View Post
So sorry. We have lived in 4 different houses over the last 15 years and the only thing I have been able to keep alive is canas and that was only because the faucet leaked. I don't know plants or what I plant. I just want something that will survive/thrive in Texas with little help from me. My husband suggested mint under the windows because it is green and short. He said it grew wild at his house as a kid with no help. I have no ideas really which is why we have lived here for 3 months and it is still as ugly as the day we moved in. I don't know where to start.
I'd suggest not doing the mint! I keep some in containers but won't put it in the ground as it gets into everything. I'm also in Texas and would suggest you wait until fall to plant anything. Our weather pattern has been weird, as you know, but once that Texas sun comes back you would need to pay attention to any new plantings. In the meantime I'd start researching. You might want to pick up the book Texas Gardening the Natural Way by Howard Garrett (the Dirt Doctor). I'm not pushing his book because of his organic ways, that's not for everyone, but he really knows Texas and plants and is clear in his plant profiles about what's easy to grow, difficult, needs the most attention, etc... . He also has a website that might be helpful.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,702 times
Before you make any decisions, you might want to research watering systems and native plants. Find a local nursery and see if they offer classes. Many nurseries have native plants classes, classes about preparing the soil, installing water systems, maintaining your plants, etc. I have alot of brown thumb friends that throw away alot of money on landscaping because they didn't do their research.

I totally agree with TXGNL about the mint. It chokes out other flowers and takes over. It will grow through your grass, under stone walk ways, etc. We have it planted in containers that are not next to any other plants or patches of soil.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
Hostas are a nice north side option for starters.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Nice house.

I would also suggest that you get some books, read up on the basics and different shrubs and trees, and perhaps live in the house for a bit. That Spread + 1 Acre = Lots of Options.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
We did the ame thing 13 years ago, we are still working on it but have enjoyed lots of produce as time went by .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden