U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:58 PM

68 posts, read 324,730 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to try this for a long time but with the ancient established garden beds at the old WI farm did just fine.

SOoooo now we have finally realized our retirement dream of relocating to S.E.TN .

We have clay but it is not too bad and not the red stuff.

No previous garden site on this property so it will be a long haul to get things in order ON A BUDGET

The photo is where I am starting. I already have plans to expand next year but ya gotta start somewhere

I will take some pics of latest progress.

back soon , gotta go feed the hounds

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,628,631 times
Are you going to fence this in? I can see the deer, raccoons, etc feasting on your garden. That is a nice plot, good luck!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:52 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,702,149 times
Ya know......most of my corn grows vertically, not all mind ya, we did have one bodacious storm last night.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,702,149 times
Dang!!!!! that kinda looks like my yard!!! Did I ever mention how much I dislike mowing the yard???

Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Sorry to get back so late but life just hands ya stuff to deal with . Had a real scare with DH

I started building my T-Post supports from full dimension 4" x 4" x 8' fresh cut from the local sawmill. Dang things are really heavy compared to the planed and kil dried stuff from the regular lumber yards. .

So here we go

Old 07-24-2010, 12:23 PM

[/IMG]Started with a section of our hay field since the former owners did not garden .
( No gardening ? ? how could this be ? lol lol )

Still finding pieces of roots to remove but in the long run it will be worth not having to deal with weeds and grass popping up.

Landscape *snort* hahahahaha

just keep it mowed so it looks like it is really lawn

Standing at the same place where I shot the pic of the new garden plot
... turned to the left ...

This is the view from across the driveway one morning ..............

Nice to look at through the sweat dripping in my eyes lol

Old 07-24-2010, 04:08 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,091,412 times
Wow! What a setting, and the garden is nice too My wife is the gardener while I roam the hills (Ouachita Mountains), so for us, you have the best of both worlds.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,244,514 times
I missed your starting post. As I was looking at your pictures I felt like it was awfully familiar... then realized you probably live where I drive through on my to the Cherohala Skyway! The Tellico area is beautiful! I live a bit northeast of you.

I know exactly how hard the earth around here is and how deep those pasture and hayfield weeds run. Our "lawn" is at least green and mowed, which is all I can say about it. Your garden looks like it really is shaping up. I'm hoping all is well with your DH.

I discovered a real hidden gem of a nursery not far from you, in Vonore, if you are interested in planting native plants. I intend to go back in early September to begin round 2 of planting as the heat finally gets less. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you a link to the nursery website.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 8,727,153 times
Beautiful area to live in!

Your garden looks great!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I discovered a real hidden gem of a nursery not far from you, in Vonore, if you are interested in planting native plants. I intend to go back in early September to begin round 2 of planting as the heat finally gets less. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you a link to the nursery website.
Yeah boy..........

would I ever love to find some nursery supplies. Need some decent pro potting medium and some 3 gal nursery pots to start with.

Left so much behind and lost all my plants too boot .
Wisconsin Tropics pictures by scooterbug - Photobucket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden