U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 AM

1,273 posts, read 3,324,091 times

Advertisements

Help please!

I THINK I am dealing with a wasp -- it's all black, has sort of flat-edge "rectangular" wings when they're closed, and flies. It doesn't have that classic wasp waist though...and it's about 1.5 inches long.

And it's P---ing me off!! If anyone remembers Bill Murray's demented war against the ground hog in the movie Caddyshack, that's me and this insect!

I have gone thru two cans of wasp spray around the area on my apartment balcony where she (he?) is clearly trying to build something.
I have a very slight "hang" on the bottom woodframe around my balcony window, and she seems to go up in there - I can't see her once she's in. I've sprayed the wood dripping wet...then in a few minutes see her fly out! So either she's superwasp -- or she's not a wasp? -- and this spray is not harmful to her.

I could call the apartment maintenance but when I did a few years ago the guy just came and sprayed the same way I am, so other than the cost of these cans I'd rather just do this myself. One of her little friends did manage to get inside my apartment when I had the balcony door open -- and the next morning her dissected self was on the carpet, courtesy of my two cats. They seem to be okay so I'm guessing there was no sting, though I don't want to have another one get in, for sure.

Any other ideas on this? I was thinking of stuffing something up in the wood shingle so she can't get back up there...thoughts??

Input appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM

749 posts, read 2,017,215 times
What kind of spray are you using? I got attacked the other day and took 5 stings, my lawnmower doesn't have a muffler on it so I guess that's what ticked them off. I used Spectracide Wasp and Hornet killer with 25 foot jet spray and it killed them instantly, froze them right to the nest.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM

147 posts, read 540,329 times
If its black it may be a dirt dauber and not a wasp, even if it looks like a wasp. They are harmless.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 PM

11,777 posts, read 15,801,092 times
Wasps, bees and flies can sometimes look similar. Normally though if it has two pairs of wings it is a wasp or a bee. If it is hairy, it is likely a bee. If it has only two obvious wings, it is a fly.

Not knowing where you are located, from your description it doesn't sound like you have a dauber wasp as most of these are long and slender.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,855,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
What kind of spray are you using? I got attacked the other day and took 5 stings, my lawnmower doesn't have a muffler on it so I guess that's what ticked them off. I used Spectracide Wasp and Hornet killer with 25 foot jet spray and it killed them instantly, froze them right to the nest.
That Spectracide in the green can kills on contact!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 AM

1,273 posts, read 3,324,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny999 View Post
If its black it may be a dirt dauber and not a wasp, even if it looks like a wasp. They are harmless.

I think they call them mud daubers here in Texas...I've read in this forum that that they do have a stinger and venom....? Anyway, if it is one, I've seen no dirt mound. I DID have one of those several weeks ago and it was on the_floor of the little storage closet that's on the end of the balcony.
Can a mud dauber build a "vertical" dirt mound?? As I say, this wasp/whatever is going UP into little voids in the woodframes around the window and the storage closet door (that was the new trick last night that I witnessed.) I don't see how mud/dirt would "hold" in that instance.

Anyway...where do I get this Spectracide? I have Ace Hardware, Lowe's and Home Depot all nearby. As for what I'm using now, it was from WalMart.

(GETS UP TO CHECK CAN)

Well guess what!! It IS Spectracide! Wasp and Hornet spray. I guess I need to have a direct hit on her...it certainly isn't affecting her when I'm spraying the wood she's flying into.... Or maybe as I speculated earlier, the spray doesn't affect _this insect??

And if I'm actually sitting on the balcony a mud dauber won't attack me?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:32 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,343,837 times
Mud dauber.

Harmless.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:42 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,148,666 times
Does is make a funny, sort of "clacking-whirring" noise when it flies? Mud daubers do that, sort of like a little machine.

'Round here, we call them "dirt dobbers". They can sting, but they won't unless you were to just grab and squeeze them.

I just remembered you said your bug doesn't have the classic wasp waist, though....mud daubers do.

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 07-16-2010 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden