U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 PM

260 posts, read 1,875,837 times

Advertisements

Hello

Our landscapers were a bit careless when they laid down a tarp in the driveway. It partially overlapped onto a portion of the front yard sod next to the driveway. It's been a couple weeks, they lifted it up and -- you guessed it -- the grass that was under the tarp is brown (Maybe a 6 foot by 3 foot section). There are some shoots that are still green, most a sort of yellow and white color.

I knew better and should have had them move it day one.

What's the chances it will grow back? Should I just start watering again as normal. Should I thin out the dead grass by raking out anything that pulls away?

Our landscaper will be laying some sod in the backyard. It's suppose to be the same sod that is in the front yard (he didn't do the front yard). Should I hint that he should replaced the dead area with a new patch? Would the grass match, or would I be better off letting the old grass grow back and be patient.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:45 AM

69,248 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Hello

Our landscapers were a bit careless when they laid down a tarp in the driveway. It partially overlapped onto a portion of the front yard sod next to the driveway. It's been a couple weeks, they lifted it up and -- you guessed it -- the grass that was under the tarp is brown (Maybe a 6 foot by 3 foot section). There are some shoots that are still green, most a sort of yellow and white color.

I knew better and should have had them move it day one.

What's the chances it will grow back? Should I just start watering again as normal. Should I thin out the dead grass by raking out anything that pulls away?

Our landscaper will be laying some sod in the backyard. It's suppose to be the same sod that is in the front yard (he didn't do the front yard). Should I hint that he should replaced the dead area with a new patch? Would the grass match, or would I be better off letting the old grass grow back and be patient.

Thanks
It will grow back or should. We had a very large tree fall a couple of months ago. It was about 2 weeks or so before the tree removal guys could get here. Of course the grass was dead. Already it has almost filled in and looks really nice.

Nita

Old 07-17-2010, 07:15 PM

258 posts, read 1,022,856 times
It should grow back.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Yes, it will grow back, but it was pretty careless of those "landscapers" to do that.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:02 PM

2,455 posts, read 5,262,979 times
I agree that the grass will grow back. It's amazing to me how grass shoots will sneak into my rose gardens every time, it seems, that I blink. Grass is tough. Have patience and before you know it, your grass will be back.

It may not look perfect at first, maybe spotty, but give it time. I'd say by next year, the dead grass will only be a memory.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 AM

956 posts, read 3,486,414 times
It wouldn't hurt to ask the landscaper to give that area some TLC, no charge. Rake out the dead, maybe some fertilizer, maybe some topdressing, and watering. If he's already doing the back yard, it won't take much extra time out front and he should have the tools and materials on his truck.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
It will eventually grow back. You can save yourself a lot of time and misery by re-sodding that area.

I left an old door on the lawn for heavy trash pick-up. It wound up staying on the grass for a week and killed everything underneath it. It has been three years and this season was the first that I couldn't see the outline of the door.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM

260 posts, read 1,875,837 times
Thanks all. We'll since he will be putting in sod out back and no doubt will have scraps I might ask him to replace it anyway. I'll chat with him and feel him out. I'd rather he finish more out back before we get into a "you screwed up here can you fix it discussion" We are also in a townhome community, so I don't want to hear later on that our front grass looks bad and we should have replaced it

Old 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
Unless you have some strange type of grass, it should be back in no time. Just have a little patience.

We have had little rain over the past several weeks, coupled with sweltering heat. The grass gets brown and crunchy, but a couple of nice showers and it's green once again.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
I would add that you are likely to have "vegetation" in no time, it just may not be grass.

I would also add that if you still have live shoots, you may not need to re-sod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or