Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 02:15 AM

148 posts, read 623,747 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for plants that are green all year round, bloom long, grow up to 3ft (can't be too tall) and are drough tolerant. Oh, and will stay for a few years at least. Please help. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Sedums, many members of the hibiscus family, salvias, sages.

Many drought *tolerant* plants have a silvery foliage more than green.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Salvia greggii is evergreen in my zone. We rarely get down to the teens in the winter. Heucheras are also evergreen, although their foliage has many colors other than just green. They will need some shade though. Ornamental grasses are good for cool weather interest, even if they die to the ground completely. Most are drought tolerant once they're established.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
While my area has its droughts and hot times I suspect plants and shrubs that work for me won't necessarily do as well for you in Arizona. Plants that are native to your area might have the best chance of success.

The following is one of the first links I found doing a quick Google search:
Xeriscape Landscape Plants For The Arizona Desert Environment Pictures, Photos, And Information If you follow links from there for perennials, you will get listings of flowering plants that grow in Arizona. You can also see possible shrubs or grasses.

You can also check the Native Plant Society website for listings of plants an where you can get them. Arizona Native Plant Society (http://www.aznps.com/sources.html - broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM

148 posts, read 623,747 times
I really like Heucheras, it doesn't matter if they have some other colors. I just don't like the plant that looks dead during the winter time. (I need it for my front yard).
I've checked sedums, salvias and sages. I liked many of them. I need to do some more search in order to pick the ones I really like.
And J&Em, thank you very much. Both websites provide lots of information. Thanks again.
Good day to you all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden