U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 PM

240 posts, read 587,522 times

Advertisements

Basically my lawn looks great from afar...the closer you get, the more you realize how many weeds I have. Mainly crab grass. It was not like this last year. This winter, during one of the ridiculous storms, we had to have someone plow our driveway. Along with the snow, they plowed our lawn along the peripherals of the driveway crabgrass has grown all along there. I can't explain why crabgrass appeared this year and not last. Bottom line, I want to attempt to fix this myself. Though I can't do a miracle this season...please help me prepare for the next. What do I do? When do I start? I want to try to do this on my own. Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,910,554 times
aug 15...kill the crabgrass with roundup...1 week later seed and fertilizer, topdress with topsoil, water twice a day. make sure you use a quality grass seed.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 AM

4,963 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Lawns are terrible everywhere. Kill the crabgrass, then seed and fert in the fall.

I am not even thinking of mine till at least sept. Ours is dead in patches. Every year is different.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,920,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Lawns are terrible everywhere. Kill the crabgrass, then seed and fert in the fall.

I am not even thinking of mine till at least sept. Ours is dead in patches. Every year is different.
I agree. The majority of lawns just look AWFUL this year. They started off so well with all that rain we had in the Spring, but this summer has just brutalized them. Such a shame. And the parkways! The idiots that let the grass get that high (you could lose a small child among it) and then finally cut it down .... What a burned-out mess.

OP, lucky you that your lawn looks good from a distance. At least you can claim that. Most people this year have brown patchy messes. I hope you get your crab grass problem resolved in the Fall and best of luck to you with your lawn next Summer.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM

240 posts, read 587,522 times
Thanks for your tips. Keep them coming in. I want to try my best to do this myself. My husband mows it. I don't mind doing the work beyond that. I'm just so new to this, and as much as we can afford to have landscapers fix our problem, I don't want to go that route that just yet.

Could anyone give me a step by step time frame of what to do and what to buy (brands, etc.). It is ridiculous how sandy this soil is. This was NOT a problem last year. I could pick the few weeds by hand.

BTW-we have not done ANY treatments to the grass since closing on this house a few years ago (worried more about the inside). We just are a bit lost and new to this. Thanks a bunch for your help!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 AM

748 posts, read 2,465,168 times
How about using Scotts Plus 2. Isn't that supposed to kill weeds while fertilizing?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 AM

964 posts, read 2,079,068 times
I have crabgrass as well. It's really tough to avoid when the weather is hot and dry like it has been this summer.

I believe there is crabgrass treatment from Scott's that you can apply. It's really too late for this summer, but you might want to apply it this fall.

The main way to combat crabgrass is to have a very thick lawn. There is a technique that I want to try called "overseeding". Basically in the Fall you really seed every patch of lawn you can find. If you can get your lawn thicker with real grass, there won't be space for crabgrass to grow.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM

138 posts, read 416,390 times
i've got more mushrooms than a farmers market.

more weeds than willie nelson's tour bus.

definetely a priority to get the lawn looking good.

i need tips too, being that this is first year as a homeowner.
I considered calling a 'lawn doctor', but im going to research things and get at it myself, circa labor day.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 AM

480 posts, read 655,192 times
As someone that's been in the business many, many years, I've found this to be very good and accurate information...

http://www.tlehcs.com/Pdf%20files/cnylcpg.pdf

Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 PM

18 posts, read 34,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
How about using Scotts Plus 2. Isn't that supposed to kill weeds while fertilizing?
I don't think that works well with crabgrass that has already grown out. I'm having a problem with crabgrass myself and that didn't help one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or