U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2010, 09:03 AM

951 posts, read 2,266,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
The vinegar is by far the better idea. Why add more poison to our environment?
We should boycott Roundup.

You could use Chlorix too.

I've killed Palmettos by putting just one ounce of mineral spirits into the bud.
The chlorox didn't work there.
OhZone;
Did you know the LD50 (lethal dose to kill 50% of the population) is lower for vinegar than it is for roundup. In this case lower is a bad thing -it takes less vinegar to kill you compared to roundup.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM
B4U

3,563 posts, read 4,093,679 times
Rock salt or salt also works.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,899,798 times
When needed I have always used The Vegetation Killer I think Ortho makes it, I need to mix it with water in a pump sprayer & use it sparingly in the evenings at the base of the root of a weed, if you know rain is coming spray before the rain.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM

77 posts, read 146,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
OhZone;
Did you know the LD50 (lethal dose to kill 50% of the population) is lower for vinegar than it is for roundup. In this case lower is a bad thing -it takes less vinegar to kill you compared to roundup.
Ha - ha ... I could almost see that retort coming before I read it.

People just need to use common sense and moderation with a variety of products. Even table salt can be lethal. In fact, some of us have probably heard about college students dying from drinking too much water. So even pure water can be lethal.

Ever read this page which responds to another person's Clarion Call about dangers of drinking Roundup? Here's the link

Can Drinking 3/4 Cup of Glyphosate Kill You ?

Personally, I use as little herbicide as I can get away with. But it has its place. Wouldn't mind trying vinegar either occasionally.

Sure glad I learned years ago what an active ingredient was. Now I even buy aspirin or foot spray using the label for ingredients.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM

740 posts, read 1,188,859 times
How to avoid using pesticides...period.

1. Do a little research on vermiculture(raising earthworms, redworms are the best type of worm). Earthworm waste, or what is generally called worm castings will act as both an extremely effective natural fertilizer and it will not burn your plants. It also provides a safe amount of nitrogen, which all plants require.

2. Worms eat the bacteria found on the food you will be feeding them. Food meaning just about any organic waste, though avoid dairy and meat products. So in addition to getting the castings, you will also be saving your environment.

3. Use some kind of container, fill it with water(rainwater works the best) and add a little bit of molasses or just about any kind of sugar to the water. Get your basic aquariam pump and ariate the water for at leas a few days. You now have what people call worm tea. Get a spray bottle, add more water to dilute a bit(it should look like really weak tea) and spray this water generously on all your plants leaves AND the top of the soil itself. Fear not, there is no danger of burning out your plant.

This worm tea will not only naturally fertalize your plants, but it will also act as a natural pesticide. It is a known fact that it has a tendency to kill/drive off aphids if used consistancly.

Worms are amazingly easy to raise and can even be a small side business. Do a search on the web on how to create a worm bin and get started. In addition to eating all your kitchen waste, they can be used for fishing and the little buggers are asexual so ALL of them can give birth. I honestly believe if everyone used vermiculture, the world would be a much better place.

Try as hard as you can NOT to use pesticides. THe plants absorb the POISON and you ingest it!

Growing organically doesn't require you to be a rocket scientist. A few ways to grow organically.

1. Crop rotation. Do not plant the same crop in the same spot over and over again. If you spread them out and plant in different locations, this will drive off many pests. This also works if you combine it with companion planting. Some plants will drive off certain kinds of pests, which benefits nearby plants that the pests my like. One great example of this....tomatoes and basil. Here is a link of great companion plants.

List of companion plants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Got poor soil? Best solution for poor soil is to make your own! Build a basic raised bed, make a mix of Vermiculite, peat moss and compost(or worm castings), This will give you perfect soil evertime. Stagger your harvest and use the worm tea. It also provides perfect drainage, so you will never flood your poor plants. With this formula using a raised bed, you will NEVER have to worry about overwatering and drowning them. Just make sure you drill some drainage holes at the bottom of your bed.

Using that system, you can easily have perfect, healthy fruit and vegtables with a much higher yield and you won' be ingesting those nasty chemicals.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask questions.

PS...want healthy meat you can raise at home?

RAISE AND EAT RABBITS! YES, EAT THUMPER!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 PM

740 posts, read 1,188,859 times
Oops, in section 3 on how to make worm tea, i forgot the step that makes it worm tea lol.

Use an old pair of pantyhose and put some castings inside, tie it up. Now soak the pantyhose in your container(bucket etc). Now that will finish up step 3 lol.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 PM

8,604 posts, read 12,203,810 times
Gasoline works better than Roundup. Just put it in a little squirt bottle. $3 a gallon. Less than bottled water. Now unleaded its environmentally responsible.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:47 AM

20,440 posts, read 13,108,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
gasoline works better than roundup. Just put it in a little squirt bottle. $3 a gallon. Less than bottled water. Now unleaded its environmentally responsible.
lol

Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM

7,089 posts, read 8,379,597 times
name of product which works like RoundUp but is cheaper

Table salt.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:35 PM

5,157 posts, read 7,426,867 times
I tried vinegar on a recalcitrant mulberry stump. I did it a couple of times, and it seems to have worked. It's also non-toxic and good for vegetables, azaleas etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden