Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 11:50 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,496 times

Advertisements

So, my sunflowers are blooming like crazy. Each one has at least 1-3 florets on them and still going strong.

Here was my assumption; sense I got about seven different kinds of sunflowers, and with mammoths being the one going to create seeds, the different types of sunflowers will keep going for years to come. With cross pollination in mind, it should work this way, right? At least this is what I'm hoping for.

Here are the different kinds of sunflowers I got; strawberry blond (x2), lemonade mix, lemonade queens, autumn mix, mammoths, and teddy bears. The teddy beers didn't do so well, only had 1 pop out of the ground, which he only stands about a foot from the ground. A lot of the ones I mentioned won't go to seed, except for the mammoths.

Any suggestions on what to grow next year? Even if the old ones do pop up. My daughter loves sunflowers (or any flower for that matter). She asked me to cut and pick some out for her, but I was a little hesitant on cutting some. =/ I like the puffy ones and the ones that have multiple colors in the pedals. Like this one from burpee http://www.burpee.com/flowers/sunflo...12&trail=#null

Last edited by mitopcat; 08-26-2010 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 03:29 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
No suggestions, but I'm "kidnapping" your Thread to show this photo. It appears a bird dropped a sunflower seed from the feeder into this crepe myrtle scar and it sprouted. We kept it watered and it grew through the season. Neat
Attached Thumbnails
Holy Sunflowers!-img_7609.jpg  

Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Those puffy ones are so cool! We do the Mammoth ones and had the weirdest result with multiple blooms on one stalk - that didn't happen last year! The poor things got so top heavy that they started to topple over. We put them close to our picking garden as the bees love them and I think it helped the picking garden bloom more! It worked out great, we just had to tie them to stakes. They are definitely my favorite!!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Love sunflowers! We were just up at the Grand Canyon and on the drive up from Flagstaff there were vast fields of them. It was absolutely beautiful.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Someone gave me 3 little plants, told me they were baby sunflowers. I thought baby meant small plants, not really, flowers are small, plants pretty tall plus they spread easily! I have to control them, this year I have over 2 dozen not counting the ones I pulled up and gave away.

I put some along my back fence, north side of the yard, only partial sun, they still grew, not as tall but flowers just the same! The funny part is when they first come out of the ground, they remind me of something from a scarey movie like Tremors or something!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
No suggestions, but I'm "kidnapping" your Thread to show this photo. It appears a bird dropped a sunflower seed from the feeder into this crepe myrtle scar and it sprouted. We kept it watered and it grew through the season. Neat

How sweet is that!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
I have been growing and collecting sunflower seeds for about 6 years. So far they seem to not cross pollinate to create a different flower. I have mammoths, crimson colored flowers, and then tons of smaller flowers.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:42 PM

44,347 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Way cool!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 AM

301 posts, read 827,107 times
Can you post pictures? I am interested in planting sunflowers? How deep do you need to bury the seeds, so they won't lean? Also, when is the best time to plant them. My son and I planted a sunflower seed in a pot about a month ago and it's growing fast. Can I plant them this fall, so they will start growing next season or should I wait until next season to plant them?

Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxiclove View Post
Can you post pictures? I am interested in planting sunflowers? How deep do you need to bury the seeds, so they won't lean? Also, when is the best time to plant them. My son and I planted a sunflower seed in a pot about a month ago and it's growing fast. Can I plant them this fall, so they will start growing next season or should I wait until next season to plant them?
It really depends on where you live and what climate you are in. I am in 7a, so I don't plant my sunslowers until early May. I usually plant them 1/2 inch deep. I never have good luck transplanting them, so I direct sow the seed.

I have never planted them in the fall. But, I do get alot of sprouts each summer from seeds that dropped from the flowers over the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden