U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 11,995 times

Advertisements

So, my Meyer Lemon tree is a little over two years old and has been doing great here in Denver. But just the other week I had to move it off the deck and into the yard for a few days and the squirrels decided to make it their lunch. I actually saw one of them in the pot gnawing on it from my window.

I have an 80lb lab that doesn't seem to be doing his job of keeping the yard squirrel free

The have gnawed a 4 inch strip out of one side of the trunk. My question is, can I do anything to help save the tree? Will it eventually recuperate? Can I wrap anything around the section that has been de-barked?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 03:53 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,581,027 times
I would e-mail the nursery you got it from. I didn't think that Meyer Lemon Trees worked well anywhere other than Florida otherwise I would have one too (that hopefully the squirrels would leave alone and my dogs would protect) - I love Meyer Lemonade!!

I found this:

[LEFT]Disinfect the wounded area by applying denatured alcohol, which you can purchase at your local hardware store. Pour the denatured alcohol directly from the container or dab it on liberally with a paint brush. Saturate the wound thoroughly with the denatured alcohol.

Read more: How to Repair a Split Lemon Tree | eHow.com How to Repair a Split Lemon Tree | eHow.com

[LEFT]Cover the crack of the repair with an antiseptic paint, which will seal the wound and keep bacteria from infecting your tree while it heals. Antiseptic paints can be purchased in the garden center of your local hardware store. If your repair is successful, the lemon tree will grow up and around the bolt. There is no need to remove it in the future.

Read more: How to Repair a Split Lemon Tree | eHow.com How to Repair a Split Lemon Tree | eHow.com

Although it doesn't specifically address the squirrel damage it sounds like a good substitution.
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,148,666 times
I despise squirrels.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 AM

1,817 posts, read 5,767,881 times
Squirrels huh? I had a young blueberry bush that was killed. I thought it was rabbits but I never did see anything but it had chew marks on the trunk. We do have evil squirrels here though and now I am beginning to wonder.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,995 times
Yes...I remember when I was living in the Ohio/Michigan area, we had crazy grey squirrels that were even a little more squirrelly...if that's possible :-)

Alley01 - thanks for the info.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,811,646 times
A Meyer Lemon works fine outside the subtropics as a container plant. And I even know a fella who is growing one outside in Massachusetts, albeit with winter protection. He does get fruit off of it.

Anyway, sprinkle some dried blood fertilizer around it. That will scare the critters away. Just scrape it away before bringing it inside for the winter.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
A Meyer Lemon works fine outside the subtropics as a container plant. And I even know a fella who is growing one outside in Massachusetts, albeit with winter protection. He does get fruit off of it.

Anyway, sprinkle some dried blood fertilizer around it. That will scare the critters away. Just scrape it away before bringing it inside for the winter.
I'm planning on trying a meyer lemon as a container plant next year (on the east side of WA state) but I plan on bringing it inside with a grow light over the colder months (no south facing windows). Going to try a passionfruit as well.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,811,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I'm planning on trying a meyer lemon as a container plant next year (on the east side of WA state) but I plan on bringing it inside with a grow light over the colder months (no south facing windows). Going to try a passionfruit as well.
I am having my own overwintering issues with my Citrus flock.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM

4,756 posts, read 8,383,950 times
I have a dwarf lime tree, not lemon, but I do bring it in during the winter. This thing flowers in middle of February inside the house. Needless to say there were no bees around so I have to "help" with the pollination. Well, I have over 20 little limes and am now harvesting them.

On the squirrel, I had some sunflower seeds spilled from the bird feeder, and was soon noticing squirrel digging holes at the base. I sprayed some cayenne peppers on the ground and have not seen them since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden