Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,490,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
We have a lot of them here. No biggie and no reason to go run screaming out of the house. Although we had a visitor from the north who did just that. She has arachnophobia and our bathroom was inhabited by a monster wolf spider that ran across her bare foot. We let him live because they are considered good luck by my people.

I had one inside my house shoe and then I put my foot into it and walked around for a few minutes. He never bit me, although he could have because he was right up against the top of my foot. When I took my house shoe off, he ran off and hid.
Wolf spiders are also feed on other spiders so depending on where you live they might keep the really nasty ones under control in your house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 PM

932 posts, read 1,933,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
No, I don't have that backwards. Wolf Spiders are defensive biters if provoked. Clinically significant can be anything from a painful swelling to fever and malaise.

As for the venom they don't have the necrotoxic agent, Sphingomyelin phosphodiesterase in their venom, so any necrosis at the site is likely do to a severe, local reaction, or the introduction of MRSA into the bite wound.
I think our disagreement stems from the 125 different species of Wolf spider. Our very different geographic region, and spiders, probably lends to the confusion.

This link is for common spiders in Pennsylvania, including the regional genus of Wolf spider.
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsh...red-pa-spiders

Quote:
Medical Importance
Wolf spiders will bite if handled or if trapped next to the skin. However, their venoms are not very harmful to humans, which is fortunate since the Hogna species are very large spiders whose bites could do serious damage if their venoms were more potent. Typical reactions include initial pain and redness, which subsides with time. No serious medical consequences of these bites have been noted.

Last edited by BTA88; 10-29-2012 at 11:05 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,490,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
I think our disagreement stems from the 125 different species of Wolf spider. Our very different geographic region, and spiders, probably lends to the confusion.

This link is for common spiders in Pennsylvania, including the regional genus of Wolf spider.
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsh...red-pa-spiders
Right - will bite if handled or trapped close to the skin, those are defensive bites as I've indicated.

I think we're arguing semantics here - defensive vs. aggressive. A defensive spider will bite if provoked or threatened, that's not aggression, that's protection.

Hogna aspersa is the hogna species found in the the PA area and as I've said, they aren't an aggressive breed, there really are few truly aggressive spiders. Most want nothing to do with humans and will make a threat display and then try and retreat, biting only if provoked past that point. Even the Sydney Funnel Web Spider (Atrax robustus) has been handled safely and without incurring a bite. The only truly aggressive species that comes readily to mind is the Brazilian Wandering Spider (Phoneutria) as they've been known to actually surge forward in attack and bite repeatedly before running off.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 PM

147 posts, read 218,117 times
Wow! You guys really are informed. Either way, I hate them all.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,640,746 times
C'mon how can you NOT love these guys:
Frightening Spiders Eyes ~ www.popgive.com

Especially the 6th one down, it looks like he's waving at you!

We have jumping spiders in the house, they mostly hang out in the kitchen on the windowsill and the counter. They keep me company when I'm washing the dishes. I think they're adorable

Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,400,746 times
Dang, that is one creepy looking spider.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,799,642 times
I had one of those crawl up my arm a few summers ago while reaching down into some equipment.

I didn't know or feel it until it was on my cheek and face.

Not long after....I had large red bite marks all the way up my arm and on my face that lasted for a week I think.

Not harmless my foot.... It didn't kill me or anything, but it's bite really left traces and marks.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,799,642 times
And YES....I ripped it off and killed the little bastard!

He got the 11 1/2 D Wolverine!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,011 times
How can I find out if this spider will be dangerous to my 2 yr old son. We have them in our home and don't know how to get rid of then, because we also have other pets.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,107,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatchelgirl View Post
How can I find out if this spider will be dangerous to my 2 yr old son. We have them in our home and don't know how to get rid of then, because we also have other pets.
Wow old thread! Well as mentioned we would get these all of the time, but for the past couple of years we have been using "Ortho™ Home Defense" and I don't think I have seen but one and one that was dead. It helps keep them out altogether. You can use it indoors and it is safe to use around pets, but they do not need to be around it until it dries.

This is an older looking bottle - but this is what it is: You can get it at Walmart for around $8.00 or so.

http://media.qcsupply.com/catalog/pr...2/3/230579.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden