U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 07:26 AM

481 posts, read 807,735 times

Advertisements

I have a beautiful free standing wooden gazebo type bird feeder in my backyard. It's near a tree so of course I get more squirrles then birds. Any ideas? If I put out food that squirrels will like better, will they leave the brid foo alone or will I just get fat squirrels?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 AM

3,079 posts, read 938,234 times
They actually make squirrel-proof bird food. It is made with the hottest parts of capsaicin chili peppers (squirrels and other mammals taste the hot sensation of chili peppers, while birds do not). Simply google "squirrel proof bird seed" to find out where you can get it.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
I even have squirrels drinking all the hummingbird feeder nectar. The "hot" bird food is the only solution I have found for robber squirrels. No bevels, scarecrow sprinklers or anything else works. I'm so tired to feeding squirrels and deer..............

Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 AM

481 posts, read 807,735 times
Thank you. I am going to try the squirrel proof seed. I wonder if I had chili powder to my bird food now if it would work.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:42 PM

4,113 posts, read 7,599,227 times
If the feeder isn't cemented in, I would move it far enough away that only the most
daring will try the leap...and, there are really good metal shrouds that go on almost
any feeder post or pole, to keep everything short of bears off. We have one on a free
standing pole feeder and even our tenacious 'coons can't get up. Bird feeder sites on
the net have many to pick from.

The "hot pepper" food is so-so quality, imo. You might buy your normal feed and toss
in sparingly, some cheapo bulk hot pepper into the mix. We feed a couple of mtn red
squirrels and a flying squirrel on one feeder, but they are not gluttons.
GL, mD

Old 08-29-2010, 03:27 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,087,640 times
When we lived in the country I had a great time trying to out-smart the squirrels, I actually enjoyed it, and could write a book. When we moved into town I heard about some squirrel proof feeders and bought two. One will give them a very mild shock when they make contact with two parts while feeding. Two visits will cure them but when the new batch comes out in the summer it starts all over again. A few times I have had the pleasure of seeing one in it's first or second experience. When the shock hits it, it will bail out and sit on the ground looking at the feeder with a what the happened look on it's face. No, the shock does not hurt them. Occasionally while cleaning or filling the feeder I forget to turn it off and it feels more like a vibration than a shock. Oh, they are battery powered.

The other has a motorized perch around the base. The weight of a bird will not activate it, but a squirrel will. When the squirrel gets on it, it rotates and the squirrel finally looses its grip and falls. I had one of those feeders hanging above a deck rail. A squirrel jumped up onto it and was "rejected". It came right back onto the deck rail and went through all that again. It came back again and stopped below the feeder, looking at it. It would get ready to jump, then change it's mind. It did that several times, then gave up, left, and never came back. As I said; "I could write a book".

Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM

2,956 posts, read 11,040,330 times
I like squirrels.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:31 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,578,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I like squirrels.
I have to admit that I also do. We had some growing up at my grandparents that loved peanuts (okay they all do) and we would feed them. One day, my grandpa was working in the garage and one came over and tugged on his pant leg...like hey, I am ready for my peanut now.

I put up separate squirrel feeders - with corn on the cob and peanuts and they usually leave the bird feeders alone because that isn't the good stuff. But, the moment I am not on top of filling them up, they go straight to the bird feeder. So, even when we are gone our pet sitter has to make sure the squirrels have their food.

We only have about five or six but I just love them.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:52 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I have a beautiful free standing wooden gazebo type bird feeder in my backyard. It's near a tree so of course I get more squirrles then birds. Any ideas? If I put out food that squirrels will like better, will they leave the brid foo alone or will I just get fat squirrels?
1. Move feeder it to a location where the squirrels cannot jump from the tree down onto the feeder.

2. Place a baffle up the post about 2' below the feeder to prevent squirrels from climbing up it and your feeder should be protected just fine.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,087,640 times
Squirrels are very, very smart and I like to sit and watch them trying to figure out a way to get to a new feeder or one that has been moved. You can almost hear the wheels spinning. The young ones, when Mom first takes them out for "training", are especially fun to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or