Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 02:10 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times

Advertisements

I'm having one of those moments...

I need help with a plant.

It's like a hibiscus, only it trails around a trellis.
Something like magvilla or bogavilla... I know neither of them are correct, but I was given 2 plants from a nursery that was going to throw them away. They are selling off their plants for the cold weather season
They are healthy & blooming.
VERY...VERY root bound. I need to transplant them.

The red bloom plant is almost 2 feet tall. Price tag says $16.95. Leaves are dark green & smaller.
The pink bloom plant is almost 4 feet tall. price tag on it says $36.95
Leaves are larger & hard/thicker than the other plant.

I want to try to save them, but I don't want to do the wrong thing.
It's a little hard to do that if I haven't a clue what they are called.

I do believe they are like a hibiscus.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 03:56 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Your description is a little confusing so here are some pictures and info on 2 plants that I *think* you referenced, with funky spelling. I may not be even close but here goes:

Bougainvillea

Know your bougainvillea - East of Eden Plants Bougainvillea Guide

Tips on Taking Care of a Bougainvillea | Garden Guides

Mandeville

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Mandevilla, Dipladenia Mandevilla splendens

Mandevilla Culture Care And Winter | Plant-Care.com

Check out the associated pictures and see if either fit what your new plants look like. If these are not it, try and post a picture (which truly would be worth a thousand words if it is clear and show the whole plant).

Old 09-30-2010, 12:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
It sounds like you have 2 plants?

One probably a mandevilla, and the other a tropical hibiscus. I presume you want to save them through a non-tropical winter? And that they have outgrown their pots?

The only way to save these plants through a non-tropical winter is to keep them in a greenhouse. Bringing them into the kitchen will not work. They are unlikely to survive.

Tropical plants sold by nurseries for summer color cannot be well wintered over in a colder climate.

Consider them disposable. Buy new ones next year.

Or, if you are not in a tropical climate, do not buy tropical plants. They will be seasonal in your area.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 AM

Talking Thank you

YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are both Mandevilla's.
One is pink flowers with larger leaves.
The red one is much smaller with dark green leaves.

I just transplanted both of them last evening. Their roots were so exposed to the air. Lots of roots on top, not as much on the bottom.

What I read was to let them dry out in the Winter...is that correct ? Seems like they would die, but then that's what I do for the cactus/suculents (not watering only if needed)

I'm in the Midwest... but do have a plant room with over 100 cactus/succulents.
Also have several 4 foot plant lights.

Our Hibiscus we bring in every year, sometimes I cut them waaaaay back.
They are getting too big...AGAIN over 5-1/2 feet & in huge pots.
We've had these hibiscus over 12 years, so I'm doing something right with them.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:44 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
I'm so glad you were able to figure it out. It sure makes it easier when you want to take good care of a plant.

The hibiscus sounds like it is really robust, I'm so envious you've had one so long. A lot of plants go semidormant and don't grow much and don't need much water to get by and I think Mandevilla falls in that category. I just checked around and came across this helpful site that explains how to care for them when they come in for the winter: Saving Tropical Plants Over the Winter - The Homeowner's Column - University of Illinois Extension

While I love my garden, and my house is mostly what I wanted the one thing I don't have is a plant room/greenhouse. I'd love to be able to take in a few things for winter but I don't even have a proper window sill for plants and "J" isn't to keen on messing up the existing windows and walls to make them.

I'm trying to figure out logistics and temps in my basement as I have a southeast facing window down there.... I'm just afraid I'll forget to go down and water plants after a while. For now I'll have to live vicariously through you. Good luck with your two new treasures. Take pictures!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:39 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are both Mandevilla's.
One is pink flowers with larger leaves.
The red one is much smaller with dark green leaves.

I just transplanted both of them last evening. Their roots were so exposed to the air. Lots of roots on top, not as much on the bottom.

What I read was to let them dry out in the Winter...is that correct ? Seems like they would die, but then that's what I do for the cactus/suculents (not watering only if needed)

I'm in the Midwest... but do have a plant room with over 100 cactus/succulents.
Also have several 4 foot plant lights.

Our Hibiscus we bring in every year, sometimes I cut them waaaaay back.
They are getting too big...AGAIN over 5-1/2 feet & in huge pots.
We've had these hibiscus over 12 years, so I'm doing something right with them.

Thanks again for the help.
Kudos to you- I have also over wintered tropicals in NY & Va with much success!

Old 10-02-2010, 07:08 PM

Thank you both very much.
Thank you so much for the IL extension info.
It rained a little this AM...so that will be it for the watering of the Mandevilla's

Hubby & I just brought all 3 Hibiscus in & both Madevillas this late afternoon. It's suppose to be in high 30's tonight & tomorrow night.
Our deck looks awful...so bare. No more big plants on it
Just 2 yellow garden mums in pots. That's it.

I will try to take pictures tomorrow of our plants. I should of taken photos today before we brought them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden