U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM

237 posts, read 338,519 times

Advertisements

Because I can kill anything green, I had a landscaper plant some ornmental seagrass in front of my house. How do I take care of it now that fall is approaching here in nyc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 PM

506 posts, read 1,321,498 times
If you are talking about ornamental Pampass grass that have the big plumes shooting out of the center, we cut ours off almost to the ground every Fall, then it comes back every summer big, beautiful and full of plumes.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,300,616 times
"Sea oats", or miscanthus varieties, or...?
"sea grass" is pretty vague.

Most ornamental grasses are very tough, in my exp. If they like where
they are, they come back like clockwork, and get bigger every year.
Some choose to cut before hard winter, some cut back in early spring or,
just when new shoots are barely visible, next April, depending upon your
clime. But, cutting back is necessary for most grasses.
GL, mD

Old 09-11-2010, 08:12 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,329,798 times
As MotoD said, what and when with ornamental grasses depends on what the the type of grass and what the landscaper and owner of the garden intended. Most can be treated the same way.

From personal experience and in discussion with a landscape planner I have a several varieties of ornamental grasses which I leave as is through the fall and winter. It provides some visual "interest" when most of my perennials have died back and the annuals have been removed. Even though the grass and its seed heads eventually turn tan to brown it makes for a more interesting appearance than low cut back clumps and dirt. Some people prefer to do it in late fall because they feel the garden looks neater in winter with everything cut back and gone. If you wait until the first green starts poking through in the spring you can cut back the old growth and have it covered in no time with new growth.

As to worrying about taking care of it, don't worry, LOL. My neighbor had planted one form of ornamental grass (miscanthus) that in the last few years tripled in size. They wanted to cover up the utility boxes and meters that were in front of their house. Unfortunately they got so big the meter reader could not easily get in to read the meter somewhere in there and a request was sent from the utility office for the growth to be cut back. Our neighbor over reacted a little bit and really whacked them back, in mid summer in a very hot and dry period. They are nearly as big again but have a few less seed heads/plumes. They are tough enough that it will be hard for you to kill them even if you completely ignore them once they've become established.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 15,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpIslander View Post
Because I can kill anything green, I had a landscaper plant some ornmental seagrass in front of my house. How do I take care of it now that fall is approaching here in nyc. Thanks!
do nothing let nature take care of it. it just like sun I have some at may maine cottage and the grass in the front of the yard does fine on it's own in the sun no fertilizers, but the grass in the back out of the sun is'nt growing at all. good luck.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM

506 posts, read 1,321,498 times
One word of caution that I forgot to tell you....If you do decide to cut it off this Fall, be sure that you wear gloves to carry off the cuttings because if you have Pampass grass like ours, the blades of the grass are like razor blades and will slice you to pieces!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden