U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM

4,779 posts, read 7,340,650 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I planted an azalea, along with a lot of other plants, in my front yard. Here's a picture from late spring/early summer of this year to give context:

I take a very minimalist approach to gardening. I will prune the plants that need it in the spring, maybe deadhead, and I keep the plant beds relatively weed free. Occasionally, I'll put down some new mulch. But I don't fertilize, use insecticides, or even water, once the new plants have taken hold. This has worked well for me for just about everything I've planted except for the azalea.

There seem to be plenty of healthy blooms on the sides, but not the top. It's a little hard to tell in this picture, but it's the best I can do.

This seems to be true with the leaves, too. (though, it's even harder to see in a picture.)

I had assumed it wasn't getting enough light, since this is the north side of the house. I was going to transplant it to a clear area I have on the far right side of the western bed so that it would get a little more direct sun. But after doing a little reading, I'm not sure that's the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 12:16 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,855,551 times
When was the last time you fed your azalea with a product like Miracid or mulching for appropriate acidity? Azaleas need acidic soil.

How to grow Azaleas

Old 09-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
When was the last time you fed your azalea with a product like Miracid or mulching for appropriate acidity? Azaleas need acidic soil.

How to grow Azaleas
I haven't. I think the soil is already somewhat acidic, but probably not enough, though. So, I'll try mulching with pine needles.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,036,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

How to grow Azaleas

Plus don't prune azaleas because the buds start growing long before the flowers show up.

busta

Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Plus don't prune azaleas because the buds start growing long before the flowers show up.

busta
Thanks for the advice, but no, I didn't prune it at all.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
Aphids could have damaged those buds on the top of the bush. I wouldn't move it. It doesn't need more sun.

Now, mine don't bloom on top either.....the deer love to have a night time snack. Azaleas and hydrangeas seem to be their favorite around my neighbor hood.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 AM

4,116 posts, read 7,604,017 times
I have had/fiddled with several varieties of azaleas for the past 3 decades; maybe it's just me, but mine look similar to yours, only larger.
The only azaleas I've ever seen that don't have some "top" or other part "loss", are the small ones for sale in the garden joints, some pics
on the web, or the ones on TV during the Masters, lol!

I have found that they really like very "mild" winters, which mine have never experienced back in NY or, here in western NC at 5,000 ft.

Yours look pretty normal to my eye...
GL, mD

Old 04-09-2012, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
Wink Azaleas

I have 5 year old Azaleas and they have black stems. I don't know why this happened. They bloomed a couple of weeks ago but they hadn't bloomed for at least the last two years. Can anybody tell me why they have black stems and what I can do about it.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,900,945 times
Are they in a really wet spot? Fungus. You might be able to dig them up, build up the soil and raise the crown, and still have them make it. You could dig them up and improve the drainage by putting some pea gravel in the bottom of the hole and raising them up - see if that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden