Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times

Advertisements

Well, the arborist came out and took a look, and I also got a second opinion and here's the bottom line: The tree (photos above) is probably more than 70% rotted out and has lost its structural strength. According to the tree guy, it's going to fall down if not taken down.

The estimate to do the work was $3,400. All things considered, that's not too bad.

That's one tree. Mr. Tree Guy thinks the other tree is in better shape and can be left alone for now.

The first tree (that must come down now) has a myriad of problems, including old age, canker, wood borers (and sawdust around the trunk), and the bark is coming off in chunks.

The tree will be removed the first week of November.

Sad. Just darn sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
OUCH!!! That seems a high for the removal of one tree. I had a 60ft tall Magnolia taken down for $1750.00. Did not include stump griding. I did that task. I hope you got at least three bids from approved contractors.
Sorry to hear about your trees.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:40 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
My house is 86 years old and it has three enormous oak trees on three of its four corners that are 86 years old. Something is wrong with one of them.

There's something growing on it that looks weird and whatever this growth is, it has KILLED an enormous limb on the tree. This one limb represents about 25% of the tree's substance, and whatever it is has stripped the bark off the tree.

My OTHER tree now has a couple deep orange mushrooms growing in its crook (where the tree forks off). I suspect that mushrooms growing in a tree are bad.

Does anyone know what this might be? If this tree has to come down, it'll drastically change the look of the house. If it has to come down, it'll cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

I can't get an arborist out here until Tuesday. Any guesses what this might be?

Thanks in advance.

Rose

On the pics below, you can see the limb that's in trouble. It's obviously dead, but the bark looks like it's been stripped off. And it's a mess.
I'm no expert but I too have a very old oak tree with a fungal infection which I believe is the problem you have. My advice is to get a few 6 pound bags of ordinary EPSOM SALTS(unscented) and sprinkle it around the roots either right before a heavy rain or water it in yourself with a garden hose.

There are many nutrients(minerals) in the epsom salts that will strengthen the tree overall; plus the high SULFUR content will combat the fungus and any bacterial infections too. I have found this to be highly effective. Repeat in two weeks and then monthly....and good luck! Hopefully the arborist will have better news but this will help also..

Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Just remember fast growing trees = fast dying trees.

Water Oaks and Willow Oaks grow fast, but the average life span is around 60-70 years. White Oaks and Live Oaks are slower growing, but can live for hundreds of years.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
it is a very hig price,
we had a white oak , estimated to be 50-75 years old , removed and we paid
$ 2100 .
on top of that our tree was in between garage and house,
a crane was neede to do the job.

I would get a seond quote.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,395 times
I live in Ohio and got three quotes to have two 40 foot tall cherry trees growing next to my barn. There were also three pine trees about 60 foot high about 3 foot from the front of a block building on the same property. The quotes to remove all 5 trees ranged from $500 to $1,500.00. I took the $500.00 estimate because I knew someone who had work done by this person. Did a great job and even cleaned up all the branches. Two of the huge pines were also leaning over the building and looked like they would fall on it. A windstorm made them lean over after it softened the roots about a month prior. Moral of the story is get several quotes. Wait a few weeks to get it done and the others that bid will call back offering a better price. Feel for your tree loss. I love my trees. Wife thinks I am crazy but when I think about all the life they sustain and the beauty they create it makes me want to buy some more timberland. Lastly.. there is nothing wrong with a dead and dying tree. It is part of the ecosystem and dead and dying trees are just as beneficial to the scheme of things as healthy ones. Just today I prepared part of my acreage for 100 more black cherry and walnut trees and 10 hazelnut trees. Somebody 80 years from now will love me as well as all the critters before that.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
I'd contact this group below. My uncle contacted a tree organization to prevent the city from putting a sidewalk on top of the roots of his oak trees and they came through and it's only sand there, they might be able to help you in some way.
The Arbor Day Foundation
100 Arbor Avenue
Nebraska City, NE 68410
Toll Free: 1-888-448-7337

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default Share your love for trees but damage to house sadder

By expensive NJ standards $3,400 is way too much for the tree shown in the photo.

Mother-in-law had a very tall 70+ year old black oak growing in a tiny backyard between houses, taken down for less than 2 k.

Southernature lover nailed it. An oak is not just an oak. Hmmm, just like people.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Well, the tree is coming down today. I did get another estimate and it was $500 higher than the first. There's powerlines and structures all around.

However, I'm posting here today because the tree is coming down RIGHT NOW and I'm ridiculously depressed.

I'd be grateful if someone could just tell me that this really is the right thing to do. The tree had two major limbs that were dead, missing bark and growing mushrooms. It also had wood borers in the trunk.

I'm just having a hard day.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 739 times
Arborist here, with a few points for others in similar situation to consider. Most fungi you see growing on limbs or trunks are decay organisms that show up after those tissues have died, rather than causing the dieback. They are symptoms of decay and should prompt concern about tree's structural integrity. Different species of trees handle decay differently. Some are able to wall off areas of decay very well and contain it from spread, others become very vulnerable once decay is introduced. Still others can present a fully foliated healthy crown, and be hollow or rotten within. Die back in a tree can be the result of many other factors, some treatable, others not. A well educated arborist can help sort all that out and advise a course of action that meets your needs.

One comment suggested that dead trees are not a problem and should be left alone. I agree with that statement as long as the tree has no target, should it fall. Trees towering over your house in front yard probably do not meet that criteria. There are situations where a dead tree can be left standing safely, and they provide key habitat for many other living creatures, but those benefits do not outweigh safety, and in some situations, aesthetics.

Everyone commenting on the price they paid to have some other big tree removed are comparing apples to basketballs. There are many variables beyond height that factor into the work of tree removal, such as access for equipment, structures or plantings below the tree, wires, insurance costs (ask for a certificate of insurance), etc. The only way to compare the cost for your tree is to get multiple quotes for the work, and then question each provider carefully to see what the quote covers (will the yard be left in the same condition it was found, or will there be divots or ruts from equipment in turf, fine debris to be raked, or damage to other important plants from the process?) Posters could share the hourly rate for tree services to get a rough sense of how quotes compare for work on different trees and sites, but please know the cost of doing business in any given state can vary greatly.

If you have many trees, and you appreciate them, don't wait until there is a problem to have them assessed. Establish a relationship with a provider you can trust. That way you are not scrambling when there is a problem, and you can make long range plans and control costs better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden