U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 AM

61 posts, read 157,814 times

Advertisements

These plants have been a little tough to manage and I'm trying to narrow down the one thing I'm doing to prevent growing success. Would too much light hurt the African Violets as much as too little light? How much water is considered ideal. Do they fair well indoors (under flourescent lighting) on a desk? I really like this species and I'm determined to conquer them. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 AM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
In the wild, African violets grow on the forest floor in indirect light. Mine have always done best in a north window. Unfortunately, the cats have claimed the north window, so now they're in an east window out of the reach of the kitties, and doing nicely. Fluorescent light also works well, as long as they get some darkness at night.

Water them regularly, after the soil has had a chance to dry out on the surface. Indirect watering is best; try not to get the leaves wet.

Use a rich soil with good drainage. Repot them in fresh soil (shake the old soil away from the roots without disturbing them) every year or so.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM

9,314 posts, read 17,946,933 times
Any full sun will sunburn the leaves and occasionally kill the whole plant. Several hours of full sun and the plant is toast, at least around here. I put them outside on tree fern trunks and they do pretty well there. I also grow them on the shady side of the house but this is Hawaii and that option may not work for you.

My granny grew hundreds of them in her basement under fluorescent lights. She had them on a timer and had the fluorescent "grow" type of lights. When they bloomed, she'd bring them upstairs and put them in a North window. This was on the mainland North American continent, I suppose if one is in a Southern continent such as Australia or India, then a South window would be preferred. She would use special African violet fertilizer and repot them every several years as well as separate them into new plants when they would colonize their pots. She also watered them with a long necked watering can so the water never got on the leaves. Sometimes she would let the water soak up from the bottom of the pot, too.

There is a greenhouse called "Lyndon Lyon" which will sell African violets online. Either plants or just a few leaves. To start a new plant from a leaf, basically just stick the end of the leaf in the ground and put it where the other African violets are happily growing. Keep it a bit more moist than usual for the first month or so. By then it will have a tiny new plant starting from the base of the leaf.

Oh, yeah. These things like high humidity. Either keep enough of them in one spot to keep the humidity up in that area or put them on a baking sheet of pebbles with a layer of water in the pebbles. That lets the pot stay out of the water yet be surrounded by water for the humidity. A terrarium also works well.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:06 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
African Violets: How Much Is Too Much Light?

Well, I have them growing wild in my front yard, full sun, some of the plants have been there for years, somehow manage to live through the winters also. Deep root system, I guess.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,342 times
Default Just normal light

Just put the Saintpaulia near a sunny window but not expose to direct sunlight. The direct sunlight will destroy the chlorophyll and then cause damage to the leaves.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 AM

672 posts, read 1,736,718 times
I currently have 34 african violets. I have some in a east window, getting only early morning direct sun indirect bright sun the rest of the day. Others violets nearby are in a south window. These get bright indirect light all day. All in all, I think my violets in the east window do best.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 AM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
I currently have 34 african violets. I have some in a east window, getting only early morning direct sun indirect bright sun the rest of the day. Others violets nearby are in a south window. These get bright indirect light all day. All in all, I think my violets in the east window do best.
You sound like me and yes mine are indirect light ones and they flower and prosper very well ,

Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 AM

15,559 posts, read 9,584,514 times
My mother used to grow African violets. People would give her seemingly dead ones and she would bring them back to life. She couldn't grow anything else but African violets loved her.

I, on the other hand, have successfully killed every one I've gotten.

Anyway, she kept hers in an east window with a sort of filmy curtain. And, not light related she would put an eggshell in water and when it stunk like crazy, use it to water them. Not all the time-I think once or twice a year? She'd use one of those old canning jars with a lid.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
I just wanted to also say I can grow them from cuttings too so anybody wants any tips about growing them from cuttings just pm me . everyone seems to think it is so hard to grow them from cuttings really it is not . Good luck op with your african violets .

Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,525,089 times
I have grown violets for a few years and some as old as 8-10 years old. I recommend bright but not direct light. The exception to this is during the winter time. I usually place mine right in the window sill during the day and they seem to love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden