Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times

Advertisements

How can I keep squirrels off my bird feeder? I tried foil, but didn't even slow them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Describe your feeder. Is it on a pedastle, does it hang from a branch or stand, is it one that just sets on the railing of the deck?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
I haven't discovered a way. I had one hanging on the side of the house on one of those plant hangars and those little rodents actually climbed up the side of the house and got to it.

I also had a free standing one, but he climbed on that too. I did have to get rid of it after I got my dog as she would chase the birds. I never tried this, but I wonder if greasing the post from the ground up to the feeder would help? I can't remember if the squirrel jumped on the feeder from the ground or if he slid up the pole.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Describe your feeder. Is it on a pedastle, does it hang from a branch or stand, is it one that just sets on the railing of the deck?
It hangs from a branch on a clothes hanger. It came from the dollar store.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
Would you believe they actually chewed the cord on my new feeder in two and almost broke the feeder? I scold them every day, they sit, hang upside down, and just look at me as if saying, "Yeah, and what cha gonna do bout it old woman." LOL, they are so used to me that it is hard to run them off now. sigh. I have actually put a bowl out under the tree that holds my feeders and just pour their food in that, but still they go after the bird food, even took down the woodpecker bar that I had up. go figure.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
My parents have one that attaches to their window. They can watch the birds eat and don't seem to have a problem with the squirrels climbing up that one. You have to leave a little trail on the ground with bird seed to show them where it's at, but the squirrels haven't seemed to be able to figure a way to get to it.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Once squirrels have discovered a way to access your feeder, you simply can't discourage them by chasing, yelling, spraying with a hose, etc.

The temptation of an easy food source is just too great.

For hanging feeders, suspend them on a flexible wire at least 18 inches below the branch. The distance forces the squirrel to jump on to an unsteady target. It also helps if you remove any ledges the squirrel can grab.

Another option for hanging feeders is to suspend the feeder from a piece of plactic-coated wire clothes line suspended loosely between 2 trees. It's important that the wire be have slack which will make it very difficult for the squirrels to maintain balance while trying to "walk the wire".

For pedestal feeders, there's an easy solution.

Take a large plastic or metal coffee can. In the center of the can bottom, make a hole only slightly larger than the feeder pole. Slide the pole through the hole in the bottom of the can so that the open end of the can is pointed to the ground. Raise the can to a spot 3 feet off the ground and 18 inches below the feeder. Mark the location on the post. Slide the can all the way to the top of the post. Take 2 small, metal L brackets and fasten them with a pipe clamp on opposite sides of pole at the mark. Let the coffee can slide back down the pole so that the brackets are inside the can and support the can on the post. The can should sway easily on the pole if touched.

Stand back and watch the fun.

Mr. Squirrel will shinny up the pipe. If he tries to let go of the pipe to grab the much larger diameter of the slippery coffee can, he'll go sliding back down the pole. If he tries to push the can up the post, Mr. Squirrel will find himself directly under the feeder, but inside the coffee can.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:11 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
<snip>......

Take a large plastic or metal coffee can. In the center of the can bottom, make a hole only slightly larger than the feeder pole. Slide the pole through the hole in the bottom of the can so that the open end of the can is pointed to the ground. Raise the can to a spot 3 feet off the ground and 18 inches below the feeder. Mark the location on the post. Slide the can all the way to the top of the post. Take 2 small, metal L brackets and fasten them with a pipe clamp on opposite sides of pole at the mark. Let the coffee can slide back down the pole so that the brackets are inside the can and support the can on the post. The can should sway easily on the pole if touched.

Stand back and watch the fun.

Mr. Squirrel will shinny up the pipe. If he tries to let go of the pipe to grab the much larger diameter of the slippery coffee can, he'll go sliding back down the pole. If he tries to push the can up the post, Mr. Squirrel will find himself directly under the feeder, but inside the coffee can.
hey that's a great idea! The squirrels around here are brilliant! I have tried every trick in the book and all manners of "squirrel proof/resistant" feeders and they continue to figure out how to get into them. Some days I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack! My wife keeps telling me to just let it go and stop feeding the birds but man I hate being out smarted by these little critters. This is war baby!!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Make a stew out of 'em ...

The squirrels in our yard woudl shimmy up the pole, even if it was greased, and leap onto the lantern-style feeder to get at the sunflower seeds. We switched to shelled safflower nuts, and they haven't climbed the pole since -- we can tell because all the nuts aren't gone within 12 hours of refilling the feeder!

The pigeons, however, are another story. How do they taste in stew?

Old 07-12-2007, 05:29 PM

739 posts, read 830,478 times
shoot them. plain and simple. A pellet gun will do fine. Grab a nice cocktail or glass of wine, head to a window with a good vantage point, fill the bird feeder and give 'em hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden