U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM

4,756 posts, read 8,381,946 times

Advertisements

I know this is an unusual request in the Garden forum instead of Hunting but here the story.

We live in a subdivision on the edge of a mid-size city. I did not thin that we get visited by deers at night because 1) we're in a subdivision, and 2) there's a major road with high speed traffic blocking the woods from accessing our backyard. To my surprise, I find footprints in my backyard with 3~4 inches indentation and some of my exotic plants get stripped of leaves once every few weeks, just enough time for it to regrow its new leaves. My garden friend suggests that I may have deers visiting me in the middle of night.

So being from big cities all our lives, we are actually excited about having deers visiting us. Since they don't knock or ring door bells, I'd figure the best way to capture them is to use motion-sensor activated camera.

Since I don't know how much these things cost or what to get. Any recommendations are welcomed. What features should I be looking for in these camera? What price range will I be expecting to pay?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 AM

4,114 posts, read 7,601,533 times
Surprised no one has responded...
Any large sporting goods store, or online, offers "trail" cameras of several levels of quality and features. Here's just one link:
Trail Cameras, Scouting Cameras & Motion Sensor Camera : Cabela's

Not cheap...

And, another idea for catching critters, though more for birders:
Wingscapes BirdCam - Audubon BirdCam, Timelapse PlantCam and BirdCam 2.0

I understand your initial excitement, but when those large "rats with antlers" find an easy lunch, they will come back time and again, and your plants, flowers and shrubs will look like thye received
a crew cut by spring.
GL, mD

Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
Got a camera a couple years ago for Christmas with the (brand Name initials: W.I.), the particular model I got was quickly returned because it was over sensitive and constantly took pictures of nothing. It appears that these are not reviewed very well.

Best contol I've found was a motion activated sprinkler, immediately ended all deer activity in a 20 X 40 ft garden that contained corn, berries and other veggies.

Deer Control: Havahart Spray Away Motion Activated Deer and Animal Repeller (http://www.deerbusters.com/dee-4015.html - broken link)

Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I know this is an unusual request in the Garden forum instead of Hunting but here the story.

We live in a subdivision on the edge of a mid-size city. I did not thin that we get visited by deers at night because 1) we're in a subdivision, and 2) there's a major road with high speed traffic blocking the woods from accessing our backyard. To my surprise, I find footprints in my backyard with 3~4 inches indentation and some of my exotic plants get stripped of leaves once every few weeks, just enough time for it to regrow its new leaves. My garden friend suggests that I may have deers visiting me in the middle of night.

So being from big cities all our lives, we are actually excited about having deers visiting us. Since they don't knock or ring door bells, I'd figure the best way to capture them is to use motion-sensor activated camera.

Since I don't know how much these things cost or what to get. Any recommendations are welcomed. What features should I be looking for in these camera? What price range will I be expecting to pay?

Thanks.
Deer is the plural of "a deer", not deers. Go with the battery operated game camera as your best bet. Check your garden at the first sign of light in the morning and you may catch one or multiple deer in the act of raiding your garden.

You can search for used game camera's off season via the "Bargain Cave" at Cabela's. Or, if you have a friend who hunts you may be able to borrow one for a short time during late spring/early summer. You;d need one with infra-red or a flash. Ifra-red is going to be more costly.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:22 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
A more fun and cheaper way to enjoy the deer is to put a driveway alarm motion sensor out there and get up and see them when they come. WE see them in our suburban area early morning 4-6 AM. These alarms are battery operated and radio controlled and will sound an alarm inside your house from as much as 150 feet away.

Here an example so you can see what I'm talking about:

Amazon.com: GE 45132 Choice-Alert Wireless Motion Sensor Alarm System: Home Improvement

Here's an even better one:

http://www.amazon.com/Driveway-Patro...bxgy_hi_text_c

Last edited by Wilson513; 12-01-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
A more fun and cheaper way to enjoy the deer is to put a driveway alarm motion sensor out there and get up and see them when they come. WE see them in our suburban area early morning 4-6 AM. These alarms are battery operated and radio controlled and will sound an alarm inside your house from as much as 150 feet away.

Here an example so you can see what I'm talking about:

Amazon.com: GE 45132 Choice-Alert Wireless Motion Sensor Alarm System: Home Improvement

Here's an even better one:

Amazon.com: Driveway Patrol Sensor and Receiver Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Such is exactly the reason I installed a driveway alarm without a motion sensor but with a metal activated probe instead. I'd never get any sleep with all the deer, racoons, etc... passing though if I were to use a motion activated alarm!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Interesting. Metal activated. I'll have to look into that. I have a perimeter fence (48") but the deer just step over it. They don't even jump. And, I have the driveway monitor off because the deer set it off. I originally installed it because some of our neighbors had pool jumpers. We never had one though in 18 years so it really didn't matter. But I would like to monitor cars pulling in at night.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Interesting. Metal activated. I'll have to look into that. I have a perimeter fence (48") but the deer just step over it. They don't even jump. And, I have the driveway monitor off because the deer set it off. I originally installed it because some of our neighbors had pool jumpers. We never had one though in 18 years so it really didn't matter. But I would like to monitor cars pulling in at night.
Dakota Alert out of Elk Point, SD makes them.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 AM

16,849 posts, read 51,301,408 times
I had to do a double-take with that "metal activated probe." I thought "WHAT on earth is he DOING to those deer!?!?"

It took a second reading for me to figure out you meant a sensor that detects nearby metal.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I had to do a double-take with that "metal activated probe." I thought "WHAT on earth is he DOING to those deer!?!?"

It took a second reading for me to figure out you meant a sensor that detects nearby metal.
TSA for deer.

Oh, and "he" is a "she"...notice the "gal" on the end of my moniker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or