U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 02:10 PM

6,515 posts, read 8,597,986 times

Advertisements

Areca Palm clusters planted over 13 years ago by me and neighbor. They have grown to over 12' high with 4" stalks. Fonds are huge.
With last January 4 night freeze, there was severe, almost half, die back. Over the year there has been normal growth.
Problem- Fronds are growing to normal length, tips of frond leaves are opening but they turn brown quickly before a full opening of the frond and development stops.
We have been experiencing a drought in the area the last few years. Not enough water? Not enough fertilizer? Missing minerals? Too much freeze for recovery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 02:42 PM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
Consider these possibilities.
Palms are extremely sensitive to salts. Salts cause browning of fronds and leaf tips of other plants too. If you don't water thoroughly and deep enough you can get a salt build up on the root system causing the roots to burn and the fronds to turn brown. Commercial fertilizers are also salts and if not applied correctly or watered correctly they can also cause the burning of roots and browning.

Cold/frost damage usually results in black/brown leaves or fronds. After a year as stated any cold or frost amage should have disappeared.

My thought is your situation is water related. Florida soils are high in salt content.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 AM

1,005 posts, read 4,944,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Consider these possibilities.
Palms are extremely sensitive to salts. Salts cause browning of fronds and leaf tips of other plants too. If you don't water thoroughly and deep enough you can get a salt build up on the root system causing the roots to burn and the fronds to turn brown. Commercial fertilizers are also salts and if not applied correctly or watered correctly they can also cause the burning of roots and browning.

Cold/frost damage usually results in black/brown leaves or fronds. After a year as stated any cold or frost amage should have disappeared.

My thought is your situation is water related. Florida soils are high in salt content.

Would this also cause damage to inside house palms? I just placed my palm inside untill it gets warm again. My palm fronds are turning brown and the leaf tips of the new ones are starting to turn brown as well. I don't know if I am watering it too much or not enough. I figure not enough as it is very dry inside with the heat running all the time.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:59 AM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
Would this also cause damage to inside house palms? I just placed my palm inside untill it gets warm again. My palm fronds are turning brown and the leaf tips of the new ones are starting to turn brown as well. I don't know if I am watering it too much or not enough. I figure not enough as it is very dry inside with the heat running all the time.
More than likely, yes. Overwatering will primarily cause your symptoms. But again you could have a salt situation. Salts do build up periodically in potted plants and should be flushed out every once in awhile to get rid of the salts. I flush my potted palm plants out about every 5th or sixth watering, then let them nearly dry out before watering again.
Some types of tropical plants need to remain moist, not wet, all the time, yet they'll need a flushing out periodically. Again black tips usually means salt/fertilizer burn, brown only overwatering.
If you're not sure about watering cycles, purchase a Moisture Meter, @$6.00 at a Garden Center. They take the guess work out of watering and will give you a idea of the water cycle your plant requires. Stick the probe into the plants soil at 2 or 3 places and it will tell you what's happening as far as wet, dry, or normal. You don't leave the probe in the pot. Use it for all of your plants inside or outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden